NPR - Vote For Top-100 Science Fiction, Fantasy Titles

NPR has a list up of 100 Science Fiction or Fantasy titles that you can vote for your top 10 titles. Results are to be out August 11th.

http://www.npr.org/2011/08/02/138894873/vote-for-top-100-science-fiction-fantasy-titles?sc=emaf

What a great list. It was hard to limit it to my top 10 favorites. I’m looking forward to seeing the results. Thanks you posting this, Gryper! :slight_smile:

It was very hard for me to limit it to 10 too! So many good books, so little time to read lately.

I’ll echo Baconface - thanks for sharing, Gryper! So many good books and memories :slight_smile: I haven’t been able to narrow down my vote yet, though…

this is an evil, evil list … I counted and I have read 71 of these 100. More grist for the mill :slight_smile:

Here are my choices … it was very very hard to do. I limited myself to 10 minutes to choose … these are stories that I’ll carry with me to my ashes and dust.

The Chronicles Of Thomas Covenant … by Stephen R. Donaldson
The Elric Saga, by Michael Moorcock
Ender’s Game, by Orson Scott Card
Flowers For Algernon, by Daniel Keys
The Forever War, by Joe Haldeman
The Foundation Trilogy, by Isaac Asimov
The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy, by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Day of Triffids, by John Wyndham
Slaughterhouse-Five, by Kurt Vonnegut
Starship Troopers, by Robert Heinlein

My favorite … if told to choose, would be Algernon. It condemns and affirms humanity in less than 300 pages. Not too shabby imho.

Thanks for the shopping/library list!
My favorites so far:
Animal Farm, by George Orwell
Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley
Cat’s Cradle , by Kurt Vonnegut
Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury
The Foundation Trilogy, by Isaac Asimov
The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy, by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Martian Chronicles, by Ray Bradbury
Slaughterhouse-Five, by Kurt Vonnegut
The Space Trilogy, by C.S. Lewis
Watership Down, by Richard Adams

My votes were:

Contact, by Carl Sagan
The Dune Chronicles, by Frank Herbert
The Foreigner Series, by C.J. Cherryh
The Handmaid’s Tale, by Margaret Atwood
Kindred, by Octavia Butler
The Left Hand Of Darkness, by Ursula K. LeGuin
The Mists Of Avalon, by Marion Zimmer Bradley
Old Man’s War, by John Scalzi
On Basilisk Station, by David Weber
Snow Crash, by Neal Stephenson

I voted several days ago when Glen Weldon tweeted the link (Glen Weldon is NPR’s comics writer… and my mismatched homo soulmate) so I don’t remember everything that I picked but I was surprised at how much harder sci-fi I eliminated when it came down to needing to pick 10 and no more. I enjoy reading the denser, science-y-er stuff, but when it comes to picking the ones that stick with my soul, I’m all about the sociology of it all, I guess. Plus, had to make room for some of my favorite fantasy. Other than LotR I included Ellen Kushner’s Swordspoint and Katharine Kerr’s Devery cycle. The rest sci-fi.

So many of the comments on the NPR story were people gatekeeping… “that’s not fantasy!” or “that’s not Sci-fi!” or “why are the two grouped together!?”

I’ll be the first to admit that I generally prefer sociological science fiction (see my votes for LeGuin and Cherryh lol), and I voted for the books that were my personal top 10 - the books that meant the most to me when I read them, and continue to mean something today. If you had asked me 5 years ago, my list would be different, and depending what I read in the next 5 years, it will be different again. That said - it’s amazing how many of the books on that list I’ve heard about through GWCers :smiley: we’re a well-read group!

Well I voted for my top 20 titles. :smiley: I just had to see if you could vote more than once…and you can. :wink: I just couldn’t pick only 10.

That’s our Gryper–breaking the rules and being all badass!

Awww craaaap! Voting is closed.

I’m late for this. I missed the Forum upgrade. I still haven’t finished my other two entries for FSL 3.0! I need a clone. Dang it.

And the results are in: http://www.npr.org/2011/08/09/139248590/top-100-science-fiction-fantasy-books

Interesting results. I only voted for 1 of the top 10, and 2 in the top 25.

I had read the top 15 and 45 of the full list. I will bookmark it and return for ideas of what to try next. No Top 100 list (or top 1000 even) can really reflect everything that “deserves” to be there but a couple of notable problems with the list:There was room for Xanth but not the Xenogenesis trilogy?! Octavia Butler was not as prolific a writer, while she lived, as Piers Anthony, but I would rather take a single book of hers to my desert island exile than Piers Anthony’s entire body of work. In general, I was really struck by how few works by women made it into the list.

I’m not surprised. It’s part of why most of the books I voted for didn’t make it into the final list, which was disappointing but not unsurprising.

I felt the need to clarify, also - I’ve read most of the top-rated books, I just didn’t vote for them in the voting phase :wink: