Non-Denominational Winter Holiday Card Exchange 2011

It doesn’t matter if you picture an obese man in ruby pajamas with a cookie fetish, or are a big fan of flaming multi-pronged pitchforks, or put wreaths of candles and fish on your head, or just sit around with friends and get blasted – December means gifts and cards. It just does. So since there’s a geek-gift exchange under way (thanks in large part to the organizational prowess of Splatz), some GWC tweeple started thinking about card exchanges, which means postal addresses.

If you’re hip to the idea, and want to jump on board to send your favorite (or least favorite, if you white-out the writing inside the awful one you kept from LAST year) cards to a bunch of like-minded GWCers, then you can “opt in” by sending me (Keir) either a PM here in the forum, or a DM over on Twitter (@keirhansen), and provide your email address.

By doing so, I add your visibility to the Google Docs spreadsheet where we’re gathering up names and postal addresses, and if we can all agree (here, please) on a cut-off date to send cards, we can have a fixed idea of who and how many people are in, and where to send them all.

(Yes, I have to set a deadline, else someone comes winging in a week before some holiday, say, Baby-Jee Day, and we’ve already sent cards to everyone else. That will make someone sad. And THAT will make me sad. And I don’t like being sad.)

So there you go. As of the end of November, we have five or six on board already. I’d love to get a few dozen by two weeks into the month – how cool would it be to have a mantle (or if you don’t have a mantle, your bar, I know you all have THOSE) lines with GWC geek holiday cards??

Make it so!

Hey, anyone know what is kwanzaa?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m in! I love sending/receiving holiday cards and taping them up to see everyday and leaving them up for far too long. I’ve only been in my new place a few months so I’ll have to figure out a spot for the cards. And get out this week to find some fun ones!

A cut-off date for participation makes sense. The 11th?

Well I’m in but due to international dates, I might just send them early :slight_smile:

I’m in!!!

Okay, the participant list is growing, albeit slowly. I’m good with a final cutoff date of Sunday the 11th, to allow last-minute entries and getting things out in the Monday morning post.

Looking forward to trips to the mailbox!

And the list is CLOSED! Wet your tongues, let’s get to licking…envelopes!

Sigh, such a good idea… too bad I’m ridiculously behind on all holiday-related activities. From me, it will have to be 2012, my friends.

Casilda: IN.

List: CLOSED.

Email reminder will go out tonight to let everyone know the working list is ready to dispatch. Ready your writing hands/claws/paws/pincers/tentacles!

It’s been a rough, shitty week for me y’all. It’s the kids’ last week of school, so I’ve been back and forth to their schools all week. Both of my daughters have been sick, one with bronchitis. So I’ve been up late every night making sure that she she can take full breaths. Hubs has been working super long hours, so I’ve been feeling very singleparenty. And to top it all off, I have the flu. Needless to say, I haven’t even looked at the mail until this morning. And there, right on top of the BB&B coupons and toys r us sales flyers, was my stack of GWC sunshine. Your cards, your thoughts, your expressions of care and kindness made a difference in my life today. I know it’s a small thing, but it was what I needed. So, a very exhausted, teary Deezy says THANK YOU, FAMILY.

Also, I’ll be sending mine out next week. And they will be disease-free. Happy holidays. :stuck_out_tongue:

I would love to do this again this year. Anyone else?

How did this work out last year? I’m not sure I’m in but I will say I’m intrigued.

I haven’t bought stamps in years. The last time, I bought a single stamp :stuck_out_tongue:

Count me in!

I’m in! Who’s in charge?

Keir ran up a GoogleDocs spreadsheet that was only shared with participants. I don’t know if he’d be willing to do it again?