Next Generation Consoles: PS4 vs. XBox One

Well, with day one of E3 in the can, it looks like we the gaming community finally have the full reveal on what to expect from the XBox One and PS4 later this year.

The Always Online (read: once per 24 hours) and restrictions on used games/trading games with the XBox One created a lot of vitriol on the interwebs, and the full release of the PS4 specs yesterday with a lower release price point has a lot of gaming boards speculating that we may be heading towards seeing a shift in the console landscape. Personally, I think that the death of the XBox is greatly overstated given the legacy games and strength of the brand. However, that isn’t going to stop a little GWC poll action:

Are you going to pick up a next-gen console later this year? Discuss, and link away to your fave articles.

I was seriously considering moving from PS3 to XBox, but with the info on the next generation of consoles, I think I’m going to stay put on PSN for now.

For me a lot of it will depend on the exclusive games available. I chose xbox this generation almost entirely due to mass effect. It may be less of an issue with this generation

Sony have posted a video guide on how to share PS4 games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kWSIFh8ICaA

I don’t normally play games ( wink ), but when I do, the games I play are Avalon Hill.
(The most interesting gamer alive)

OB

P.S. Kidding aside, I am hopeful that MS adopts Sony’s stance regarding sharing/trading of games. An entire culture (and economy) exists on that model :slight_smile:

Nothing I have seen makes me want to get either. Looks like it is still going to be PC for me. And as Oddball says, my table. But since this is about consoles, PS4 looks better so far, but it is still early.

Dang, my bad for not putting a PC option on there. I’m pretty damn stoked about the Destiny trailer. Being a PS3 guy, one of my biggest regrets was never being able to experience Halo. I’m stoked to finally jump into a Bungie game.

//youtu.be/y2Jx5__c1lY

I’m going to wait and see, but I doubt I’ll buy either of the “big 3” consoles. They Ooyah looks interesting, as does the SteamBox. But $500 so I can play $60 games that I can’t resell? No thanks.

That model works on Steam because the games are $5.

I tend to be a late adopter, so I’ll see how things progress. I’m fine with my 360 and PC for now.

Looks tight … for Brooklyn :slight_smile:

//youtu.be/qW9fdki5k1s

I think I’ll be dropping some quatloos …
OB

I’ve already got my Xbox One reserved and now that Square Enix announced Kingdom Hearts 3 for the Xbox One, I just to decide what launch title I want to get. I have no reason to get a PS4 at this point and I really dislike the controller that Sony keeps sticking with after using the 360 controller. It makes me not want to play games on their system. I don’t even use the Sony controller for my PS3 anymore, I went with one of the 3rd party ones that has a set up similar to the 360 control.

Other than Project Spark, this was the game I was most impressed with during the conferences on Monday and when they revealed it was a Tom Clancy game I was even more excited for it.

Well, I will say it is nice that pretty much all the games that I really wanted this year so far, and all the games coming out in the near future are multi-platform, including PC. Let’s hope that trend lasts. I can count on one hand the number of console exclusives that I would have bought in the last few years had they been available for PC, and none of those were enough to make me drop all the cash on the last (current) gen consoles (The games are Journey, Halo Reach and SSX if anyone was wondering).

I love Bungie and the demo they did of Destiny was gorgeous but the gameplay looked like Borderlands to me. I want to like this game because it’s Bungie but unless I see something different in the gameplay before it comes out I’ll likely just wait for Borderlands 3.

I’m going to wait, I have never been a sony fan, I think I was off put of the PS1 when some of the fellows used to play it during down time in the station.
I (at that time, was a PC gamer, and was an early follower of Halo), the ONLY reason I purchased an XBOX was strictly for Halo. No regrets there.
Was able to purchase a 360 cashing in on air miles, couldn’t afford a PS3, had a RROD, was able to get a referb on the extended program, no problem yet.
Have had the Kinect for a year, I used it more for Netflix than anything else. Kinda hoping they can blend this stuff in with the rest of my Home Theatre, but with a blu-ray in there now, not a problem.
I’m gonna wait for either a $100 price drop, or hopefully a freebie offer from my cable provider if I sign up for x amount of years.
The always on option of the new Kinect, well, if they wanna watch me, I hope they have a strong stomach… :groucho:
I guess in the long run, I haven’t been a Sony fan, don’t really see that happening in the near future.
So far the games I have seen look to be the SSDC (Same Shit Different Console), dress up that pig, it looks pretty it’s still a pig… We need a groundbreaking type of game play…

Looking at reactions, PS4 definitely won the E3 conference. There’s no way around that.

Sales wise, not so sure. Xbox one essentially made itself as a home entertainment/social media system, and thus its appeal targets a wider audience who might not really care about the ridiculously locked down DRM, privacy issues, and not so friendly to game devs related items. And perhaps that is the way to go for the future (considering each console has a lifespan of at least 6 years or so). I’m sure it’ll sell well regardless, though it probably did take quite a hit amongst console fanboys as a whole.

PS4 puts itself as the gamer’s console with its conference, and did win over a lot of gamers/console fanboys in general who feels frakked over by Microsoft, but the issue is that most gamers play on the PC anyway.

Game exclusive wise, they’re pretty similar.

I won’t be buying either at launch - even though there are a bunch of games that are really enticing - but if I did have to, or some time down the line, then probably the PS4.

I want to like Sony but the PS fanboys and the horrible controller make me determined not to buy one unless a really awesome PS4 exclusive comes out and since Kingdom Hearts 3 and MGS V are both going to the Xbox One I don’t see any reason to buy one at this point.

I find it funny that Sony is trolling Xbox but if they think 3rd party games will have DRM on Xbox and not have something similar on the PS4 they are crazy. Sony exclusives won’t, just like Microsoft published games won’t but I guarantee if publishers are actually going to implement DRM on the Xbox One then they will find a way to do something with PS4 games as well. If publishers put DRM on X1 gamers will see the return of online passes or something similar for PS4 games. It makes no sense from a business perspective for publishers to have a policy that allows them to make money off of used games for X1 but not the PS4, especially if the PS4 outsells the X1 because they’d be losing out on a ton of money which is whole reason this issue exists. Used games don’t make money for anyone but places like GameStop.

Breaking news today folks - as it should have been from the start, its back to being all about the games.

Microsoft has backtracked on the key items that were driving the “Console Wars”.

[i]Key Points:

[ul]
[li] There will no internet connection required to play offline Xbox One games “after a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One”[/li][li] There will be no 24-hour connection requirement for the console[/li][li] Used game sales and borrowing of games will have no limitations[/li][li] No regional restrictions[/li][/ul]
[/i]

Here’s the Gamasutra article: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/194649/Microsoft_pulls_big_180_with_Xbox_One_DRM_policy_reversal.php
I’m sure Kotaku, IGN and every other single gaming site will have a similar article.

I actually hated this announcement because it took away the two things I was most looking forward to, family sharing and not needing the disc in to play a game. It also gets rid of almost every thing that made it stand out from the other consoles and actually try to make some changes to the console gaming industry which has been pretty much stagnant for more than a decade.

In less dramatic news, Destiny is no long going to be out for PC.

//youtu.be/yxlNwNl56rg

Was it slated to be?

Yes, originally they were saying it would be. Oh well, Titanfall looks cooler.