New Trek Documentary: Trek Nation

There is a new documentary coming out about Star Trek. It follows Gene Roddenberrys son Rod who is out to see what is the impact that his dad had in the world. There is a great write up on it on the /filmwebsite

Here is the trailer

//youtu.be/7ek3h6v3NJU

This has been coming out for FRAKIN’ EVER!

Definitely want to see that.

Looks like it could be really good. Looks like he talked to a lot of big sci-fi people, probably worth seeing just for that. I’m pretty sure I heard Ron Moore’s voice in there too.

IMDB has a release date of May 7th (limited). Like Pike said this has been on the horizon for a long frakin time, so we’ll see.

Looks like the Science Channel is picking up Trek Nation.

I’m not sure how long Trek Nation has been available on Netflix but I just watched it. My favorite moments are the Ron Moore interview. Ron comments and insights are wonderful and Rod uses them effectively to highlight what I think he is trying to accomplish. I like the moment when Rod visits his father’s star on the Hollywood’s walk of fame for the first since 1986. There are two homeless men. The scene is a juxtapose of fame and destitute. I like Rod’s personal touch and behind-the-scenes style. Before his interview with George Lucas, he is rehearsing and you can see in his face how surreal the moment is for him. Rod doesn’t shy away from his father’s philandering or lack of attention his father paid to him.

I didn’t learn anything “new” from Trek Nation but it was interesting to watch Rod’s journey. Trek Nation is a testament to the fans, vision, and legacy of Gene Roddenberry.

If anyone hasn’t seen them yet, Netflix streaming also has Trekkies (1999) and Trekkies 2 (2004) starring and produced by Denise Crosby. She does an On the Road with Charles Kuralt thing freely borrowed from a decade later by Trek Nation.

Netflix also has The Captains for streaming starring, written, produced and directed by The Shat. He interviews the other Captains including a surprisingly cordial sit down with Chris Pine. Highlights are Avery Brooks being extremely eccentric and Kate Mulgrew being extremely defensive about her work in Voyager.

I’M CAPTAIN KIRK!

It was fascinating to learn about the man Roddenberry and see his son discover what the world knew…and even his more human flaws…and some of the suits at the Conns…Holy Jesus :eek: