Naruto

Hey everyone, just thought for my 200 post I would introduce the forum to Naruto. It is an amazing manga created by Masashi Kishimoto.
Uzumaki Naruto is a young (12-13 yr old) ninja in training. When he was just a baby the 4th Hokage (Leader of the village) sealed the Kyuubi (Nine-tailed Demon Fox) inside Naruto’s body after it attacked their village (Konohagakure). Because of this he has been outcast for his whole life. The 3rd Hokage commanded that nobody should tell Naruto why he is different. Because of all this and his highly energetic nature Naruto is a bit wild and kinda a prankster. You find out that he is only doing it to get attention because he has grown up alone and just wants the recognition of the rest of the village.

The world of Naruto is very large and detailed. There is comedy, action, drama and even some romance sprinkled in. To date there are 412 Chapters of the Naruto manga. There is also a anime that follows the manga and has some filler episodes also. The original Naruto anime ran 220 episodes. Currently there is another anime, Naruto Shippuuden (taking place about 3 years after Naruto) that is at episode 70.

Here is a link to the pilot episode and you can watch all the episodes online. These are in the original japanese with english subtitles. They do make english dubbed versions and they are available in dvd but I believe there is something lost in the translation. To get the real emotion of the original (Japanese) voice actors is what really makes this anime so popular.

So please, anyone who hasn’t scene this please watch the pilot and I guarentee you will want to see more. Anyone who is familiar please post and we can chat about it. Yes, I am talking to you, hansioux. :wink:

Oh, please watch your back or you might get hit with my----

Sugoi Dattebayo!!!

BELIEVE IT MSSR CRAZY EYES

I watched Naruto back during it’s initial japenese run when it was just fan subs, got up to the filter after the hunt for Tsunani and Jeriyha training Naruto and just stopped watching. I’ve been meaning to get back into it but eh

Sounds like you were in the mid 90’s for the episode number. I wish I knew about it back then. The fan subs really are the best way to go because I believe that the commercial type would simplify the translation too much for US viewers.

Mid 90s or earlier 1teens

Daisuke,

I am also a huge fan of Naruto. I have only been fan for about a year to a year and a half now, but I share watching the TV program with my ten year old son and we enjoy it emensly. We have been collecting the DVD box sets (1-10 so far) and the printed Manga volumes in English(1-32 so far).

We also have this favorite little Japanese import shop we like to go to and it has 2 aisles of domestics and one aisle devoted to Anime. The owner sells Cosplay, DVDs, and misc toys and jewelry. I was even able to score a cloth patch that has the “Make-out Paradise” picture and title in Japanese.

Naruto Rocks!

-Ethan

Welcome Ethan,

It’s great to have another Naruto fanatic around here. I wish my parents were into foreign material when I was a kid, I guess I should be grateful for their interest in Sci-fi. :wink:

I look forward to talking Naruto with you and if you guys have the time we are doing Anime Frak Parties (we watch a movie and post back and forth to each other on the forum) on Sun 2 ET. This week is Castle in the Sky.

Now all you need is a cool Avatar that shows your Naruto Pride, perhaps like this: :smiley:

Its also interesting to me to compare the story principle concepts from Naruto with other things. Just yesterday, I finished listening to Podcast 108 where Chuck, Audra and Sean were talking about Star Wars storylines. I found it interesting to hear Chuck make a comment about believing in someone and believing that there can still be a little bit of good in someone who has made many bad decisions. I found Naruto’s Faith (in part) in Sasuke to be similar.

I also found other similarities . . . but I’ll save those for future posts.

Yeah, I want to pick an avatar but I just haven’t totally chosen yet. I like the picture you posted though. Its classic!

Btw, who are your one favorite Male and Female characters from Naruto? Mine are Lee and Hinata.

-Ethan

My son and I just purchased the 11th box set. it has some playing cards in it and if you collect all from 11-16 (12-16 still to be released), supposedly you would have a full deck. That will be cool.

BTW, I finally adopted an avatar. I really like the Rock Lee character so I chose one of him. It is cool to me . . .

Ciao!

-Ethan

:cool:

Hey Ethan, that is cool about the box sets.

Rock Lee is one of my favorites also, how can you not love this.

I also really enjoy Neji and Gaara. As far as the Uchiha’s go, Madara and Itachi are my two favorite characters. Since we don’t know a lot about Madara’s history I have to say Itachi is my favorite male character.

As far as female characters I am with you that Hinata is the best, followed by Temari.

One of the things I like the most about Lee is that he proves that a normal type of person, through hard work and effort, can become what they want to be (an excellent shinobi) . . . sorta like Batman among the superheros . . . except Lee is a total optimist . . . which I like . . . while Batman . . . .

My top 5 characters would be…in no particular order/order changes on each storyline:

Asuma
Kakashi
Naruto
Shikkamaru
Kiba

I really love naruto, I’m a big fan of this anime.:slight_smile:

i got hooked on it a long time ago, then when i found about shippuden i got sucked back in… now i just want the series to end! i need closure!

I’ve been reading the manga since episode 50 of the anime… It’s good but I will pass on the filler-filled anime for now :mad:

I used to watch Naruto, but I think it drags on for too long. The anime version has less and less content in it.

But it was great while it was great. I watch because I like how Naruto and Sazuke both came out of similar situations but ended up on completely different paths. That is the most attractive part of the story.

I suggest reading the manga, you can read it online at www.onemanga.com

I think it is common (as we have scene with X-Files and other shows) that when you move to far away from the real story people lost interest. You also loss something when creative control is put in the hands of anyone other than the creator(s). The fillers aren’t the greatest content ever, especially compared to the original material but I love the Universe of Naruto so any content in worth absorbing - IMO. Companies will milk any popular content for every penny but when they are in an original story I believe it is as good as it gets (except for some of the animation has got a bit rushed in Shippuuden so the visuals suffer). :wink:

Khaled is right. If nothing else just read the manga (right to left):wink: and enjoy the story. I think Naruto is so much better than superhero type comics and if you are caught up it is much more like BSG than the “everything is fine at the end of the episode” type stories.

I like the Naruto anime, for a few good reasons (at least for me personally): the anime story arcs can be both spanning single and multiple episodes. Also the character designs are unique, even if some are illogical for a ninja (neon orange jumpsuits)! I like the sense of hierarchy and structure for Hidden Leaf ninja, and the sense of responsibility for the whole village-- even the commoners. I like the anachronistic mix of (semi-)modern life and ancient ninja ways, and the over-the-top ninjistu magic!

I was once a longtime member of an Anime fan club here in the Milwaukee, Wisconsin area, and encountered a strange prevalent animosity against Naruto fans. I didn’t understand this attitude, even though most of the club members were a bit older than the anime-makers’ target demographic… This was the first time I heard the derogatory pet name they had against Naruto fans (ask me if you care). I came to the conclusion that the bulk of these negative club members were deficient in personal maturity in general, so there you go.

Probably one of the biggest reasons I still like Naruto is that the Naruto series episodes that I have seen have been enjoyed by both myself and my wife. There are very few anime series she has found interest in: Naruto, Inuyasha, Samurai Champloo and Full Metal Alchemist.

Have any of you fellow fans embraced the manga in particular? I will be debuting a manga review podcast of my very own, and would love to share the podcast with all of my new GWC fans! (Shameful plug ends here.) :smiley:

May I be moderated to the fancy new Anime section? Arigato dattebayo!

oh, hello =)