My personal Trek rewatch

When I started posting here about 7 or 8 months ago, I mentioned that I had started watching Star Trek, from first to last. I actually started before Netflix put them all on their Instant Watch (Or should I call that “Netflix” now?) so was getting the DVDs. Since then, I made it through all 3 seasons of TOS and the first 3 movies. I’m also chewing up TAS like candy, have movies 4 and 5 in my queue, and am preparing to start wading my way into Next Gen.

I was surprised by TOS. First (and I know this can be a sticky subject) I was very pleased with the new CGI effects. I think, by and large, the effects added to the show or at the very least did not detract. Sometimes they did, but most of the time they were better than what I remember seeing before. In particular, the Doomsday Machine looked more… doomsday-y than it had before. And the Enterprise was just beautiful orbiting fully rendered worlds.

I was also surprised at how many episodes I’d seen before. I always said “I’ve probably seen most all of them” but I really had no proof of that, and I had never sat down before and intentionally watched episodes on any sort of schedule. However, I’d say only 1-3 episodes a season had I not seen before.

And finally, I was surprised at how well they held up. Sure, things got a little misogynistic at times and the acting ranged from fantastic to laughable - sometimes in the same actor and within minutes - and the sets were frequently done very cheaply (something I do NOT mind. At all. Tell a good story and you can call a milk crate a space ship for all I care), but the vast bulk of the episodes were above average TV and and many of them (the aforementioned Doomsday Machine for one) are among my very favorite episodes of all time.

Nothing is perfect, of course, and I started to wonder if I’d make it through Season 3 (that started with McCoy remote-controlling a literally brainless Spock with a device that didn’t have enough buttons to control a slot car, and then a couple episodes later had native Americans who would have embarrassed John Wayne with their savagery and lack of intelligence). I’m glad that I stuck with it, though, as the later episodes in the season (The Cloud Minders and Let That Be Your Last Battlefield come to mind) for the most part made up for it.

The Animated Series is entertaining, if sometimes only for the laughs. I’m finding - like with the original series - that some of the episodes are surprisingly good. That cat girl who’s sitting where Uhura normally sits has got to go, but I like the 3-armed 3-legged guy who (without explanation) took Chekov’s place.

And finally, the movies. The Motion Picture is sadly a bit too slow paced for me. I know that at the time it was stunning but we’ve gone past that now and it just feels drawn out. However, the Enterprise-A is just beautiful so watching it pan by was by no means a chore. Wrath of Khan I’ve seen so many times it was not any sort of surprise, though I haven’t seen Search for Spock since I was a teenager and I was very pleasantly surprised by it. It is nowhere near as bad as I remember, though it did not stand up to Kahn by any means.

Well, that’s enough babbling by me. I’ll try to update this thread as I go and by all means, I’d love to hear anybody else’s thoughts.

I love how you put that.

Yeah. It does that. As you said (later), it holds up well.

It’s done very subtle. They don’t change the story, at all. So, it’s fine. Still, given the choice, I’ll watch the originals. It’s how I know them.

I wonder how many people would be surprised with how much Star Trek they’ve actually seen. You know, just some average bloke on the street.

At its core, it’s a fun show. That goes a long way.

According to what I’ve read, it’s a miracle it was made at all. Not just the network craaaap but all the production issues. Thank you Gene Coon.

There are some good’ems in there, especially ‘Yesteryear’. I used to know why Walter never appeared in the Animated Series. I’ll have to look it up. He did write the episode ‘The Infinite Vulcan’, however.

Yeah. It does not hold up well. I remember seeing this on my 17’ TV growing up. It was amazing, and it was Star Trek, and I was enthralled. I found myself later in life, FF’d through the travelling through V’ger scenes.

Not trying to be a prig here, just clarifying. That is considered the Enterprise refit. It was not destroyed yet. They get the Enterprise 1701-A at the end of Star Trek IV.

My favorite Star Trek soundtrack is Star Trek III. The music is so moving and beautiful.

Keep posting. Keep posting. Thanks for sharing.

Not priggish at all. I actually noticed that there was no “A” after the “1701” on the saucer in Search for Spock, but figured they just hadn’t decided it was needed yet. I always considered the ship in 1-3 to be the Enterprise-A and appreciate the correction!

In Mr. Scott’s Guide to the Enterprise, there is more details on the refit. Basically, after the 5 year mission, there were enhancements in technology as would be expected. Not to mention, movie budget BEEYOTCH!!

I’m looking forward to your thots on IV and V. IV is my favorite, and I’ll watch V now and then because I need my pain.:slight_smile:

Woot! I totally have that book (not that that would surprise you the slightest :smiley: )

I would buy that on teefury.

V has the GREATEST line in the series though…bar none…

Why…does GOD…need a…starship??? :smiley:

Hahahah. That is by far my favorite line of the movies. That being said I honestly can’t stand that movie — I always find myself distracting myself during that.

I watched both IV and Next Gen episode 1 (I figured there was some overlap between the movies and series, so I’m going to allow the overlap in my watching). I have always had fond memories of Voyage Home, but did not remember a lot of it. I was afraid that the conservationist message would, after 25 odd years, be too in-your-face. I was happily surprised that it really wasn’t. It was stated as a fact and then dealt with.

Though, the whole whalers scene near the end was a little contrived.

Encounter At Farpoint I had not seen since the night it premiered. I remembered Q and nothing else. As far as pilots go, it was pretty good. It did a good job of setting up the series, the characters, the ship, and the differences between this and TOS. I thought the McCoy cameo was weird. He just came on the ship, talked to Data, and then… what? Did he leave?

Anyway, I’ve got V coming in the mail. I’ve never seen it and I’m looking forward to it, even though I know so many think it’s horrible. I can handle horrible. It arrives from Netflix tomorrow.

Had that book to. Lots of fun stuff in there.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

It’s not that it was so horrible. It was a poor story that wasn’t well thought out.

The only good line was “Why does god need a starship?”. To paraphrase it. “Why did paramount need another star trek movie?”

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I remember watching a promo for the NextGen series and them playing bits from Star Trek IV, especially Spock retraining video. Alright. Prepare yourselves. I didn’t know anything about the new series. When I saw the promo, my jaw dropped. I couldn’t wait. It premiered right when I started Junior year of High School. Wow! That was 24 years ago, tomorrow! September 26, 1987 was when it first aired. Anyway, I remember sitting and watching it with my dad. I really liked it but I dug the Original Series more. I still do.

Totally.

Yeah. The USS Enterprise is a cruise ship. You didn’t know that? :rolleyes:

Here’s a primer:

//youtu.be/HU2ftCitvyQ

Yikes! Forgot about this thread!

I saw V. Watching it again, I know I’ve seen it before. However, I barely remembered any of it. All I remembered was the mountain climbing scene at the beginning and the going to the center of the galaxy. I think I blocked the rest out. :slight_smile:

It was bad. Like, bad bad. It wasn’t even Star Trek. It was a B-movie made by someone who got the entire idea for the movie while watching the Cantina scene in Star Wars. I’m glad I watched it for one reason: It’s over and I don’t have to watch it again.

I have better things to say about Next Gen. I’ve cruised through seasons 1 and 2, and am a couple episodes into Season 3. Considering the first two seasons are considered the worst, I’m happy to say I enjoyed them and am looking forward to what people consider the good stuff. I wonder if my watching them “fresh” (in that I hadn’t been steeped in them my whole life, and really only saw most of them once - when the originally aired) and right on the tail of both TOS and TAS give me a moderately unique perspective on them.

I remembered every episode of Season 1, but only a few in the middle of season 2. I’m pretty sure from here on out I haven’t seen any except MAYBE one or two scattered around that I happened to hit on a rerun somewhere.

Needless to say, I’m looking forward to it. I’m trying to bang out at least 5 episodes a week, which equals a season a month or so. At this rate, I’ll be to Deep Space 9 (which I’ve seen none of) before Summer.

I’ve also got to fit the rest of the TOS movies in before I reach the end of Next Gen, but after V I feel like I need to put those aside for a while…