My Firefly Theory: Your Favorite Two Eps

As Chuck mentioned I have developed a theory people’s favorite episodes. My theory started when I noticed in general people have one favorite episode: Our Mrs. Reynolds or Objects in Space. That was it, case closed. Everyone loves every episode, but if you are asked which is your absolute favorite it was one of these two.

For the most part I can keep it this simple.

The theory for the most part holds. However I noticed a deeper trend that there are correlations between distinct episodes. If someone’s favorite episode was Our Mrs. Reynolds for example it would follow that their next favorite episodes would be Our Jaynestown, Trash or Shindig. If someone cited their favorite episode as Out of Gas it would follow that they would also have Objects in Space as a favorite. If they like Jaynestown above all Our Mrs. Reynolds would be a close second.

To keep this simple I will make a poll: If you were to choose your favorite TWO episodes do you fall in one of the following camps:
Our Mrs. Reynolds + (Trash, Shindig or Jaynestown)

Objects in Space + (Out of Gas, War Stories or The Message)

Baltar

What about Serenitypilot, The Train Job, Bushwhacked, Safe, Ariel or Heart of Gold? To put it bluntly I have never encountered anyone when asked what their favorite episode was responded “The Train Job” for example. These episodes tend to round out people’s top three or four but never make the top slot and rarely number two.

Poll is going to be public. Please share your top three episodes, your thoughts on my theory and any changes you would make.
Like I said, this doesn’t imply that one group is better than the other, it simply implies that I have identified a trend and would like to put it to a statistical test. Please answer honestly and if you don’t fit into the model please share what your favorite episodes are and way.

…and for purposes of full disclosure I am an Objects in Space/Out of Gas kind of guy.

I think these episodes are equisite. As stated prior, Firefly the series is the best of the best of the best, sir. But when looking across the episodes there are two standouts for me. I loves me some Jaynestown…Ariel is fantastic, hell, I even love the Train Job. At the end of the day however I always come back to the same two.

For me they are the deepest, richest, most beautifully shot, artifully directed, acted and written. They are truly short form masterpieces who nearly don’t have an equal. They are dramatic, they are funny, they are visceral and introspective. They leave a lasting impression and days later I find myself still thinking about them.

They are art, they are beautiful, entertaining and my favorites of my favorite show.

Although I think I fall into category A (based on your theory), I really liked Ariel. Simon really shined here…and Mal’s confrontation with Jayne was a pivotal character moment for both of them (in my opinion).

I am with you. In my talks Ariel is almost never cited by anyone in their top 3. For purposes of this exercise this is why I pulled in the focus on top two eps. That third one tends to jump into standard deviations that are hard to predict. Push comes to shove for me, Ariel is my third favorite ep for the exact reasons you stated plus I loves me a caper!

I think you could also break it down with group (A) Relationship, Western lovers and (B) Character Dev., Sci-Fi lovers.

I am an Out of Gas kinda guy. Ariel is a second followed by War Stories. I am also surprised that Ariel isn’t mentioned more often. Are Objects in Space and Our Mrs. Reynolds really common favorites? :confused:

“Objects in Space” was one of the best bits of television ever, so put me in that camp.

Although I prefer Out of Gas, War Stories or The Message over Trash, Shindig or Jaynestown I’ll have to go with the 1st opinion cause Our Mrs. Reynolds is my most favorite Episode. Objects in Space felt more like a stand-alone and didn’t feature the rest of the crew like the other did. If you, Solai, would have picked one of the 3 episodes in the brackets as the 1st choice, I’d have the same vote as you. But so…“Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!”

Sorry to be the exception to the rule - but The Train Job is actually my favorite episode. :slight_smile:

However if I MUST choose between the two groups - I lean more towards the Objects in Space category.

Train job is my second, after objects in space

My second and third are Objects in Space and Out of Gas.

It’s so funny to me you see it that way, because I’m not a fan of westerns but I’m definitely a group A person. (I’m also not sure what you mean by relationship vs. character development… for me most character development comes through the relationships characters have…)

I’m not good at articulating why (and as everyone else here knows, I love them all!), but I love the Saffron episodes.

I remember this discussion coming up about a year or more ago.

Yeah, I have to see I’m in the Objects in Space/Out of Gas group.
Partly because those too involved the FireFly herself and maybe because they’re darker? I dunno (War Stories and The Message are certainly dark too.)

That said, that doesn’t mean love Mrs. Reynolds (and Trash, Shindig and Jaynestown). But if you made be choose, I’d choose the Object in Space group.

Does that seem right to you? :wink:

To me (A) group is heavier on the romance (if you want to call it that ;)) and the western (planet side with a town of the week type feel).

Group (B) feels like it has more back story and takes place in space or more specifically Serenity.

I really mean romantic relationships. I think that more women fall in the (A) category and men into the (B). It sounds a bit stereotypical but hey…that’s me. :smiley:

I am also not the best at articulating, that’s why I use single words to describe more complicated ideas or feelings. :wink:

Actually my fav 4 in order are:

Serenity (pilot)
Ariel
Objects in Space
Out of Gas

Haven’t watched them enough times to recall the whole stories from episode titles, but Our Mrs. Reynolds gets a vote because of Christina Hendricks…

Definitely group B.

Well, to be true to the theory Gryper would go into Other. It is very rare for someone to say, “My favorite episode? That would be Serenity”. Mark it up as an exception to the theory. If the poll shows an abundance of other my approach is invalid and it is time to reassess.

Well, you’ve got The Message in group B, so maybe it’s time.

Seriously, people actually talk to each other. Especially when they’re the object of the plan.

I’m definitely in Group B, but I can’t really say why. “Out of Gas” and “The Message” are two episodes that I just can’t get enough of. They’re complex and well-paced and sad and uplifting at the same time. I dunno, maybe the comedic or farcical elements are a little more upfront in the Group A episodes? And even though I enjoy them, I can’t relate to them as easily. Or something.

Y’all are gonna’ be here when I wake up, right? :wink:

Sorry brother but once again I don’t fall into your camps =/ Forcing myself to not be wishy-washy so much.

God Tier
Out of Gas and Shindig

Great Tier
Jaynestown and War Stories

Good Tier
Bushwhacked, Train Job, Our Mrs. Reynold, Heart of Gold, Serenity

Meh Tier
Safe, Ariel, Trash

Don’t Really Like Tier
The Message, Objects in Space