More whining from SGU producers over viewer dissatisfaction

Interesting article from Mo Ryan. I have to say I agree with her for the most part - there are bits of interesting things in SGU, but not enough for a whole story, and the characters(male OR female) evoke very little at best. Which I do hope changes soon. And it might, since it’s still early. As for the sexism, my feeling is that the SG franchise is a teeny tiny bit sexist anyway (but I’m distracted by the kickass stories in SG1), so this is the least of SGU’s problems. The stories are a bit boring, the characters even duller, even with the gratuitous sex scene.

Now, I’m a total newbie at SG (on top of SGU, still watching old SG1 seasons right now, and haven’t even started on SGA), so while I don’t come with the baggage (of how great this shows should be), I also don’t have all the infomation of the past either.But I feel that I’m not a stupid viewer (well, not THAT stupid anyway :D), and after reading the article, I think I feel worse about the attitude of the producer than the show itself. Sure, he is (rightfully) defending his own show, but also (wrongfully) slamming another show that had barely two episodes out. You can’t complain about other people slamming your show if you’re doing the exact thing to another new show based on two episodes. That and the “you don’t like it because you don’t understand it” is practically begging me to cut the show out. Shades of Kring, and me? No likey.

You’re probably right. I just wish they’d show me a character I could give a darn about. So far, no joy.

Now, the episode “Earth.” Couldn’t they have asked for volunteers to try the transfer? The concern was for the inordinate risk this experiment would entail. Meanwhile they’re all whisking around a billion light years away on a frakked-up ship with no control over where they’re going. They’ve run out of air, of water, of power. How much riskier could a stargate jump be? Couldn’t they have just tossed a kino through initially and see if that worked? And why doesn’t Rush want to go home? Is he in trouble with the IRS or something?

But…still watching. :slight_smile:

I thought the problem was the whole ship would explode?

I believe Rush doesnt want to leave because he sees the Destiny as the culmination of his lifes work, and a discovery so important (for mankind) that he isnt willing to abandon it just because there is danger. Also, he fears if they make it back, they will never let him return. Considering how most of the cast feels about him I think his fears are justified.

/Shrug. I like the characters, I like the added sex appeal, I like the darker tone, and I love the tension in each and every episode except for Hoth. Hoth sucked. But I liked the interaction between Young and Stone

Also I’m a huge SG-1/SGA Fanboy, before I started watching BSG there was nothing better on tv than SG-1/SGA

RE: Rush and the Destiny. That scene in the pilot tells me there’s a lot more to this quest of his than scholarly work. I’m thinking either his wife died and he wasn’t there because he was working on getting to the Destiny or he thinks there’s something on board that can help her if she’s sick or something like that.

The scene where Rush bolts from last week’s episode, Time, I think is HIGHLY indicative of the whole Rush/Crew Dynamic. Eli is like “What the frak are you doing?!” thinking he’s being a coward and running for his life, and he is in some small part but he’s also trying to save them by putting himself on the line. He just doesn’t EVER explain himself unless forced to so he comes off as arrogant, a dick, etc. Of all the cast I probably identify most with Eli followed pretty closely behind by Rush.

I liked that episode but only because of Eli’s line about it being Hoth, that cracked me up.

I didnt pick up on it, but I wouldnt be surprised. It would definitely ‘humanize’ Rush to the crew and the audience.
I both like and dislike Eli. He is funny and geeky, and I think it would be fun to hang out with him. That being said, I think hes just too immature. Hes very young, hes led a very sheltered life. For all his intellect he tends to jump to these emotional conclusions without looking at the big picture. Like when he freaked out that Rush (and whoever the other person was that was there) lied to Young about what was happening on the ship. Im all for telling the truth, but feel that burden would have been unneccesary. Wasnt exactly anything Young could do, even if he did leave the other guy to die and return to the ship.
I think Eli’s journey will probably be the most interesting (assuming they write it correctly) because he has so much growth potential and his situation is going to force him to make a lot of important decisions in a very short period of time. Come to think of it, it would be pretty awesome if he matured and became a Sam Carter type to herald in the next generation of Stargate (fingers crossed this isnt the last iteration).

Ok, wow, that was long. My apologies.:cool:

I’m pretty sure that character was put in to appeal to the young men and boys the show is geared to…sort of like a bridge or a hook. To be blunt, I think he’s an extension of the “funny fat guy” trope we’ve always seen on TV. Maybe most recently it’s been used with some success on Lost with Hurley (an extreme example admittedly), and then of course the Seth Rogen kinda deal. TV cliche’s aren’t always bad though.

I didn’t think I’d like Eli but he’s ok and perhaps the only like-able character except for the medic. His main function is to be a foil to Rush mixed with providing a modern, more mature cutsey factor like a male version of Cindy Brady.

Eli is underestimated by just about everyone except Young and The medic. Rush doesn’t want to admit it, but Eli is just as bright and smart as he is. Eli just doesn’t have all the pieces yet. Rush does I think.

Totally agree OP. If anyone is going to set Rush back on his intellectual sorryBarb at some point, it’s going to be Eli.

And I’m really looking forward to that moment. :slight_smile: