More Serenity coming?

Alan Tudyk seems to think so. I’ve been debating all day on whether or not I should post this because it seems to be one of the countless “Hope for Serenity 2” type of deals, so I advise major skepticism at the moment. Things can easily be taken out of context, so do with it what you will.

Alan Tudyk talking:

“They had to put [the new DVD] out because they’ve been selling out of the other one and so Universal’s like 'So, let’s do another one’. And now… there’s now a chance there’s going to be another movie.”

“Everybody in the Firefly crew – and that includes the ones who died in the movie – are excited about the prospect of doing another.”
http://www.moviehole.net/news/20071004_serenity_2_a_new_hope.html

FirstShowing.net was also skeptical but optimistic and got a reply from the man who did the chat with Alan:

the interview with Alan was conducted “today” so its very recent.

And no, he wasn’t taken out of context - Tudyk’s pretty certain SERENITY 2 is on the books again.

Clint
Moviehole

So I don’t want to get my hopes up to have them shot down again, but I think things look better than they did yesterday lol. If fans keep talking about it, they’ll eventually do it, at least I think so. Rumors like this show that there’s a demand for the product. I think we’re lucky that direct to DVD is becoming more and more popular way to continue the story (look at Babylon 5’s continuation).

Captain Tightpants on the big screen again? Be still my beating heart.

“Everybody in the Firefly crew – and that includes the ones who died in the movie – are excited about the prospect of doing another.”

:eek:

Please, gods, no prequel!

No, Joss has said in the past that the dead people would be featured in the forms of flashbacks or dreams, stuff like that. No prequels or coming back to life.

Just for the record:

a) I’m always up for probably-not-gonna-happen Serenity 2 news.

b) Getting one’s hopes up and having them dashed seems perfect for the Firefly world, so I’m fine with that. It’s just part-and-parcel of being a Browncoat.

c) Tudyk is my hero, having played a number of bad-ass roles, and I understand he’s originally from the DFW area. I’ve always hoped to look up from the tomatoes in the grocery store or something and see Wash/Sonny shopping for onions, though I’d imagine he’s from the DFW area – not living here.

[spoiler]d) Because of c) (and other reasons), I’d be absolutely fine with a prequel or even Wash/Book magically coming back to life. I’m such a massive fanboy that’d even though I’d want to bitch about shoddy storytelling, I’d be too busy thinking, “Holy crap, it’s Book and Wash! Frackin’ sweet!”[/spoiler]

e) I’m gonna go get my DVDs and watch another episode of Firefly tonight in honor of today’s soon-to-be-a-letdown news. (I think I’ll watch Jaynestown.) Rock!

That would be so cool. Of course a new tv deal would probably be better but I’ll take what I can get. If there was a new cinema release I’d be first in line.

You Can’t Stop The Signal

Well, as the saying goes, “You can’t stop the signal, but Universal can”.

I was listening to a Firefly podcast and they were talking a ton about serenity 2 – that would totally ROCK – maybe it would stay in the theaters longer too.

<blink>

<swoon>

I’m holding my excitment for an official anouncement. Once that happens though, everyone in a three block radius will hear about it.
Then I will cry with joy and hug every browncoat I know.
In the mean time, I’ll ignore the rumours and try to finish my homework.
You know, none of you are making it any easier to ignore this…

Amen. Outside Summer Glau and Jewel Staite I would imagine most of the main cast from Serenity who did not see their character bite the bullet is otherwise not tied down with any sort of regular series work right now. After Drive was unceremoniously dropped by FOX Nathan Fillion is not burdened with a series that he is the male lead in for right now. Could get interesting, I suppose?

Well I think it’s safe to say that when and if the official announcement comes the entire GWC community will ride our alpaca like it’s 1999.

maybe not the lead, but I think Desperate Housewives is an enviable gig. It certainly is buzzworthy. Quality? I wouldn’t have the slightest…

Well I won’t get my hopes up…

Okay so my hopes are officially up now…

There’s just no letting go of this for me and I can’t say why

It’s a no brainer. Guaranteed Direct-to-DVD profits. The Firefly and Serenity DVDs are making healthy profits, as Joss & others keep repeating like some kind of Companion Religion mantra, so why the (or “a”) studio isn’t convinced it’s viable is beyond me. Maybe the rights are tangled up or something. Anyway, it’s just a matter of time. If the lesser Babylon 5 franchise can do DtDVD, so can Joss.

The movie was done on a $40 million budget. Way back when they made the series pilot, it cost approx. $10 million and that would have to include building the sets and all things that had to get to get the series off the ground. I think they could easily get a direct to DVD movie in the $20 million range and still make it look good. Stay on the border worlds (aka use existing western style sets), bring back the ATV mule, etc and they could easily trim a few million off. It seems like a no brainer to me. Better yet, why doesn’t Universal let SciFi have it for their big December miniseries. With the exception of the crappy looking “Tin Man”, the December miniseries have been big for SciFi. “Steven Spielberg’s Taken”, “Dune”, “BSG”, and “The Lost Room” have all gotten strong ratings for the channel.

I got into Firefly, then Serenity over the summer. I would definitely not mind getting more stories from that universe.

I really like Nathan Fillion. He’s like Han Solo for the 21st century.

Check out this fan rant on him on Cinematical

And there’s no doubt on whether Mal shot first (in the movie)

As I think I’ve mentioned in a podcast before – though if I haven’t, I should – I first saw Firefly when a friend brought the DVD over and forced me to sit through it. Of course, like a good Browncoat he showed me the true pilot first. I wasn’t fully into it until Mal walks in the back of the ship, shoots the dude, he and Jayne pitch the dude out the closing door, and they leave.

That, my friends, is why Mal is more Han than Han. That and the fact that we get to see the down side to Mal. You know Han’s probably just as screwed up, bringing grief as well as survival.

At any rate, that’s the moment when I understood Firefly, and the moment I became a Browncoat forever.