Medieval/Fantasy arms & armour

Anyone else into Medieval/Fantasy arms & armour?

I’d be intered to hear if anyone has tried their hand at making replica weapons or armour? I’m not talking blacksmithing, just repurposing objects to make or customise. Recently I’ve made a small shield, put together a poleaxe and am looking to have a go at making a scourge. Would love to make a morning star but it would be just too dangerous to keep around the house!

I haven’t done this, but sounds like very interesting projects. I’ve always thought it would be fun to try! What have you used so far to make the different things you’ve made?

If making armour is someting you want to try, i would suggest reading Techniques of Medieval Armour Reproduction. It is an awesome reference. I’ve fabricated a few pieces using this book as a reference with increasing success. Those pieces were given away and are still in use by friends who belong to the Society of Creative Anachronism.

I’ve made basic utility blades from files and industrial hacksaw blades but never anything substantial like a sword. I’ve heard good things about the book The Complete Bladesmith from people I knew who made steel weapons.

Check out the Armour Archive forums. Although most of the members are members of the SCA, many of them are a fount of information and can easily guide you in the right direction/place to further your research.

Like GWCers, they are friendly folks.

Sweet, these look like great sources for information. Off to read and create!

The SCA is a good place to find this kind of info. This page might be useful.

Thanks for the info. I don’t have access to any metalworking equipment so I’m pretty limited in what I can do. Most of what I’ve done with weapons thus far is bought the heads and made shafts for them.

The small shield I made using the half of the back of a darts board, and leather and shield boss from a living history fair, plus pins and washers from the local DIY store.

this begs the question :

is anyone into medieval recreation clubs? (what’s the proper name for it?) Something like Scarborough fair, but more hardcore?

Check these out to see what i mean (it’s the same song; different videos)

//youtu.be/VQG40lVBzlY

//youtu.be/h5zNK--DUDg

There’s another podcast I listen to - the Dan Carlin podcast.
Dan the man himself is totally gaga about Albion swords.

Check this out :
//youtu.be/cTg0Oc0mQy4