Marvel's Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. 1.02 0–8–4 **** SPOILERS ****

Episode Summary from en.wikipedia.org:

Skye is now integrated into Coulson’s team as a consultant. Their next assignment is in Peru, tracking a “0-8-4”, a S.H.I.E.L.D. prefix for “an object of unknown origin”. Once there, the team quickly realizes that the object is actually a piece of forgotten HYDRA technology powered by Tesseract energy. Coulson meets with a former ally, Camilla Reyes (Leonor Varela) and brings her onboard the team plane. Later, Reyes betrays Coulson and plans to take the HYDRA weapon for herself so she can take over Peru. The squabbling team members band together, utilizing each of their talents, and save the day. Skye receives a text message from another member of the Rising Tide and confirms her allegiance to them. Afterwards, Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) scolds Coulson for the damage to the plane.

Please use this thread to discuss the series’ second overall and first season second episode 0-8-4. Rule: Please keep spoilers limited to those revealed during the series up to this episode only.

I strongly suspected the cameo at the end based on a promo for the episode, but it was still nice.

EDIT: Also, should these threads go in Whedonverse?

I liked the way the team finally pulled together against a common foe. And I sort of chuckled at how the show turned into a Warehouse 13 episode, only instead of locking away dangerous objects; they launch them into the sun… I sense that Skye is going to find herself very strongly conflicted in the future, she will need to chose a side. And we saw a bit of what Shooter pointed out earlier, Ward’s being ‘too healthy’. Good episode, and I want to see more of Coulsen’s collection.

…brace yourself, moving thread into WHEDONVERSE…

I should have known better to prematurely find fault because the second episode promptly mocks my obvious criticisms of the pilot. This week squarely faced the dubious wisdom of having kids on a freaking giant plane. By the end, Coulson’s (the producer’s) confidence in his team (their choice of cast) is vindicated.

We learn that the Rising Tide is more of a Disney Marvel version of a secrecy resisting Wiki Leaks/99% populist movement and not just a solo act by Skye. She partially persuades Ward that this can be a good thing. So it’s no surprise when cliffhanger reveal shows she is only half won over by Coulson and is still half a Rising Tide mole with loyalties divided.

[i]"Oh, Phil. You’re not even aware. Your renewed idealism, your collectibles, your airborne man cave, surrounding yourself with young, attractive agents: you’re having a mid-life crisis. And I’m not going to even mention the red Corvette.

More an afterlife thing, really."[/i]

Of course, the show is nothing but aware and supremely genre savvy. All hail the Whedons. And what is this? Does Coulson know what is he not supposed to know, “can never know.” That he died, not heart stopped resuscitated dead, but dead dead. It’s beginning to look like Tahiti is not a false implanted memory but a Magical Place™ of S.H.I.E.L.D. secret project resurrection technology… or where Dr. Strange is… or insert favorite fan theory.

Now, if only next week’s episode makes fun of Skye’s hair.

Ow, ow, owwww. ABC got hammered Tuesday night across the board in prime time. “On ABC, the second episode of Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. earned a 3.1 adults 18-49 rating down 34 percent from last week’s 4.7.” - tvbtn: TV Ratings Tuesday

How come, when someone yells “get down” (in any language) the only people who actually get down are the people working for them?

If I was one of them Seal Team guys assaulting a terrorist base and one of the terrorists yelled “Get down!” I think I might just hit the deck.

I like the show so far. Not too keen on the characters of Skye and Ward just yet. But how awesome is May? Do people who are already familiar with this Universe know who the Cavalry is? They keep making a reference to May being a part of that, but I don’t know what that is in reference too. Why did she have a desk job then? I suppose these questions will be answered at some point in the season. Coulson of course is fantastic. I cried when his character died in the Avengers movie. I’m curious to know what really happened…

This piece of art is: ODDBALL APPROVED!!

Six Seasons and a Movie!

OB

Marvel Database: Melinda May - “First appearance “Pilot””

She’s a blank slate so speculate away - any guess is right until an episode says otherwise.

In the comics, it is a cliche/tradition that some of the most deadly S.H.I.E.L.D. agents embroiled in Really Big Events have been females with desks - field agents also holding administrative roles. Likewise whatever happened to May in the past will no doubt be suitably huge in the film/television universe.

I’m guessing something big happened during her last mission before the show that caused her to not want to do field work any more, so she transferred to a desk job.

With 0-8-4 we are given our first post-pilot view into how this series will really work. As we all know pilot episodes tend to have a different feel from the series in general and this series is no exception. Larger story arcs start to appear and the special effects budget and time available to place the effects in dramatically decreases. Even so, the episode plays with existing effects to good use - the cgi mock up of the “bus” (a.k.a. S.H.I.E.L.D. CXD-23) explosion and Fitz’s little flying sensors. A few brief new cgi effects were brought in as well such as the 0-8-4 itself and the little stick-stun grenade that Ward uses in Peru. The characters are more normalized to how they will be presented every week and the episode pacing isn’t as hectic.

Skye leaves her van behind and in S.H.I.E.L.D.'s care. Although it was a big part in the pilot I don’t see it being a major part of the show in the future. We might see it once or twice more but like Luke Skywalker in A New Hope, Skye in now part of a larger world and will transition away from her somewhat humble beginnings rapidly.

I’m loving the continued witty, light dialog banter that kids can related to. Ward and Coulson’s frown comments are fun and help frame the overall heavier plot concern that Skye is a Rising Tide wild card to have onboard the bus and onboard their team. Skye’s “first day of school” comment helps frame how younger viewers can place her storyline in the episode while being funny for adults too. Coulson’s comment to May about having to go check on the device fueled by evil that’s sitting in the cargo hold helps break the tension with May while underscoring to younger audiences that there is tension about May not wanting to see combat following whatever happened in Bahrain.

The ongoing references to the movies are an obvious attempt at keeping the audience engaged in the same universe. Coulson reference’s Thor’s Hammer as being the last 0-8-4 S.H.I.E.L.D. encounter. The 0-8-4 turns out to be a piece of HYDRA technology powered by Tesseract energy - a reference to Captain America, Thor and The Avengers.

Fitz-Simmons continue to be the brainiacs onboard the bus that have little or no street smarts.

I do have an issue in general about the Peruvian Ministry and Reyes’ team. Reyes obviously wanted to use the 0-8-4 to gain control of Peru in the midst of their revolution. However the Ministry were the ones to contact S.H.I.E.L.D. about the 0-8-4. So was Reyes’ working independently from the ministry (perhaps in association with the same group that was running the lab from the Pilot) or did the Peruvian government do a 180 and wanted to keep the 0-8-4 all for itself AFTER they contacted S.H.I.E.L.D.? This is a plot point that has significantly confused me. Also Simmons points out that the 0-8-4 has been embedded in the temple for 1,500+ years but Fitz points out that the craftsmanship is German (a.k.a. Hydra). But Hydra was WWII, not 1,500+ years ago. Again, I’m confused.

Ward mentioned his S.O. or Supervising Officer when reading Matterhorn. Is it Coulson? If not Coulson, who is it?

Coulson’s affinity for “classic” S.H.I.E.L.D. collectibles are an excellent way to include S.H.I.E.L.D.'s comic history into the show. Lola, the wrist walkie talkie, and everything else glued down. I’m sure we’ll be seeing more of it as the series proceeds.

Coulson’s shock when Reyes’ team takes over the plane is some of Clark Gregg’s best acting in the episode. In fact, it might be some of his best acting in his character period. He truly feels betrayed and wants answers from Camille.

Overall I enjoyed it. It’s not the level of Whedon TV I’m used to but it’s still early. I’ll give it time. Whedon’s certainly earned it.

I’m loving finding out about Agent May a.k.a “The Calvary” in little snippets. Bahrain, her action in front of Skye in the Pilot episode, the fact that she can dislocate her wrist at will. I’ll admit I was biased against Ming-Na going into this series based on her Stargate Universe character but now I’m thoroughly enjoying her.

So Fitz uses his little flying sensor to trigger the 0-8-4 to blow a hole in the side of the bus, but the 0-8-4 and the flying sensor don’t get sucked out the hole without being tied down? Fail. I don’t buy that the 0-8-4 gets embedded into the plane’s wall due to kickback. And the rubber raft plugging the hole in the side of the plane? Yea… NOT.

Skye’s reply to the secure text was interesting. You can tell that she is conflicted and that will only grow over time. But I also have to believe that S.H.I.E.L.D. is monitoring all of her communications as a way of getting intel on The Rising Tide. I just think that is incredibly risking to take a known enemy operative with you on dangerous missions.

Coulson’s reaction to Fury at the end scene was interesting. I would think that Coulson would have been able to stand up to Fury better than he did. Was the fish tank a tip of the hat to Captain Picard’s ready room in Star Trek The Next Generation?

As do I. I wish I had more Marvel background too.

Ward, Couslon, May - they all have their sorted past. Skye has per sorted future ahead of her. This show is gonna be an interesting ride.

Caution is always prudent, but in a close firefight aggressiveness/surprise can also give your side a huge advantage. You just need to know when to be cautious and when to be aggressive.

Not being too steeped int he Marvel comic universe myself I’m enjoying the slow character reveals so far. Coulson makes this show. Without him I doubt they could have made it. They need to tie in the movies with the TV show in order to ensure success.

I am hopeful that we get to see more Agent Hill in the series as well from time to time. Especially if there is a season 2 when her commitment to How I Met Your Mother is over.

Would you prefer the issue to have been in conjunction with the movies or something else entirely?