Mars

Mars arc.

Total Recall.
Life on Mars (split cast: one American ep, one British).
Outland. (Not really set on Mars, but close enough.)
Ghosts of Mars.
Mars Attacks?

AND, here’s the capper: One or two or three scientists to discuss real-life Mars science, like the possibility of life on mars, the logostics of colonizing it, etc.

You R A genius Ferris! Great arc idea.
And we can get to Mars is just 39 days, as explained here in Shooter’s blog post: http://www.galacticwatercooler.com/2010/10/05/voyages-via-vasimr®/#more-5096

What about these sci-fi classics? :stuck_out_tongue:

Sealab 2021: Der Dieb

//youtu.be/H-3rzM8a0f0

GWC, get your ass to Mars!

:wink:

Color me blonde, but I don’t get the Life on Mars connection other than the name. Cause none of that show (US or UK) actually happens on Mars. :slight_smile:

I thought the US one did (I’m in the middle of the UK one, myself.)

What about “Mission to Mars” with Gary Sinise? I’ve always liked that movie.

I watched the UK ‘Life on Mars’ show, the only connection I saw was the reference to the Bowie song.

I haven’t seen the US version. But I thot it was just an Americanized version of the UK show.

That’s the only reference to “Life on Mars” I remember in the UK show too.

Good call! I liked that movie too. Red Planet…not so much. :wink:

Mars is totally habitable in domed areas in Cowboy Bebop.

Just saying. Because Bebop is awesome.

It’s a cheap excuse to watch & talk some Life on Mars.

I know I’ve asked you this before, but I love talking LoM.

What’s your thots on UK vs. US?

WTF is ‘thots’?

We …ah…spell the word thought as “thots” because…no reason. :o

Welcome to GWC… wait, what?

(Yet another thing that should prolly be in the FAQ.)

Why in blue blazes would anyone do that?!

Hrrm… Okeedokee, I learn something new every day. I look forward to hearing more about this puzzling thing.

I liked them both. I’m partial to the darker, more mysterious UK version, but I thot the US version stood on its own, and was certainly a respectable variation.

I liked the essential difference between the main characters, how the British guy was more of an outcast, and the US guy was much more compatible with the people in his new setting, and his integration was more a matter of earning acceptance.

Sorry mate. I shouldn’t have been so deliberately obscure with my reply.
The reason behind the “thot” thing is really kinda simple and silly.
When I was trying to think up a username for the GWC forum and I wanted to pick something that was familiar and easy to remember. Back in the 90s sometime I had “Thotfulguy” as my screenname for something…AOL probably.
There was a 10 character limit so hence “Thot” instead of “Thought” to fit it in. So when I came to GWC I went with that cuz it was comfortable and familiar.
Once I got on GWC Forum, in the beginning I was on the forum A LOT. And I and several friends on the forum started to use “thot” as the why to spell “thought”. Just silliness, but now it’s like almost institutionalized in the GWC world.

It’s just one of those quirky GWC things. Like “SorryBarb” means “ass” for example …and that’s a WHOLE other story. :smiley:

I definitely liked both the US and the UK version too.
Unlike many people, I watched the US one first. As I result, it took me about four episodes into the UK version for my brain to accept it on it’s own.

Even though Harvey Kietel is one of my fav actors, Glenn Finister as Gene Hunt really was something special.
The UK version I thot highlighted the “Gene and Sam” bond more than the US one.

When the UK version had music or other references that I didn’t recognize as being 70s stuff, that detracted a little for me, whereas the US version was pure familiar 1973 America–with all that cool music and culture that’s so familiar.

I also respect how they ended the two series in distinctly different ways.

like this idea, I might also suggest maybe we could bring in some real life m ars stuff.

talk about the rovers, the evidence of life we found there. the idea of going to mars; the historical influence of mars on science fiction. maybe try to get someone from nasa on the cast to talk mars; just saying we could try more than total recall, but we should totally do total recall to, why cause three is better tan two :o

plus this…

//youtu.be/TtXnLtOHiTk