Marion Ravenwood (Raiders Of The Lost Ark, 1981) v Lois Lane (Superman, 1978)

Two of the strongest women characters I remember from my youth that helped shaped my views were Marion Ravenwood played by Karen Allen in Raiders Of The Lost Ark and Lois Lane played by Margot Kidder in Superman. These adventure heroines were smart, cunning, not afraid to work, and stuck by their men when it counted. Were they perfect? No. They both had to be “rescued.” More of a story/writters fault than their own I suspect. But they weren’t completely damsels in distress. And that was a radical change for that time period on the big screen. And for what it’s worth I have a great respect for both of these actresses.

While I feel confident setting these two up against each other in our Geek Deathmatch arena, I have not come to a conclusion yet on who would win this fight. So help me out here folks. Tell me your thoughts. Who would win? The Treasure Hunter/Adventurer or the Reporter/Adventurer?

Marion is all over this with reckless abandon. The men they “stuck by” were dramatically different, and M had far more baggage to contend with in the form of the gritty and gruff Dr. Jones than Lois and her ultra dry-cleaned Reeve-in-red-pants.

And don’t even get me started when we factor in the drinking round.

Marion takes Lois down after 10 shots.

I’ve forever been in love with Marion so she gets my vote,

BUT, I’ve always loved this song so much: “Love Theme From Superman”

//youtu.be/HJWQ528zYBY

I got to go with Marion on this one … hubba hubba.

“It’s not the years honey, it’s the mileage” – Dr. Henry Jones Jr.

OB

Lois Lane is probably smarter than me, but Marion could kick my ass and outdrink me. And is probably smarter.

And I love Ms. Allen in Scrooged. I wonder if she has great chemistry with everybody, or whether she’s just good at faking it.