Lt Kara "Starbuck" Thrace (BSG 2004-2009) vs Lt Maximillian Sterling (Robotech 1985)

Okay campers, this one is not for the casual scifi fan or the feint of heart. These are without a doubt two of the best (if not the absolutely best) scifi combat pilots ever to be shown on TV. Both of these individuals are veterans of protracted wars and fictional human holocausts and have literally hundreds/thousands of enemy kills notched on their belts. No one in either of their universes comes close to their skill and accomplishments.

This is NOT a goodie 2-shoes versus bad girl. Max has had his share of insubordination and sympathizing with the enemy too. In fact, like Starbuck Max actually marries one of the very specifies that he is fighting against. They both have exceptional hand to hand and small weapon skills too. There are definitely more similarities between these two than you might think and not even I have any preconceived notion of who would pull this one off as victor.

I hereby CHALLENGE The Operator, Sean, Beef, and any other fan of both series to attempt to predict the outcome of this one. (Chuck, I officially ban you from this vote as you are only a fan of “Robotron” and have not actually seen Robotech as you should in order to qualify as a voter in this poll).

Good luck, may the gods be with you and may the protoculture ever be on your side.

~Shooter Out

I gotta go with Max simply because of the way he fights. Max can learn on the fly with a clear head and defeat any tactic or strategy mounted against him in real time. I think he’d stall Starbuck until shegave him an opening or wore out her patience and that would be the end of it.

I think I have to respectfully bow out of this competition. While I did watch some Robotech in my younger days, I have not seen the entire series(or even most of it). So my opinion would be even more invalid than normal. That being said, I did always this Kara Thrace was a badass, then a painter, then an angel who could rise to almost any challenge. But your comparison and Sean’s description of Max make me really doubt my invalid answer. So you see, I cannot answer Sir. backs away slowly in a bowing fashion

Gotta go with Miss Thrace on this one by a hair. Much respect to Max, he adapts quickly…but Kara will not stop. She did kill Leoben…a lot

My bad! I had assumed that you had seen this in its entirety. Thanks for replying though!

Hmmm. Interesting. However I’ll counter that Max never stops either. For instance, once out of missiles and ammo Max on multiple occasions has successfully gone Battleoid hand-to-Zentradi hand. He’s escaped from enemy captivity just like Kara too.

I find it hard to disagree with anything you said. In fact I’m leaning hard towards Max on this one.

However, I’m finding it difficult to remember any time that Max is flung off the carrier deck directly into a blind fight less than 100 yards off the deck. I’m not sure he could adapt THAT fast. Starbuck had proven that she can launch out of a tube and make a hard turn directly unto the six of a Cylon Raider for a kill. If Starbuck had any chance at this it would be the early surprise kill. Max strikes me as a guy who does like to stand off and get some situational awareness before committing to battle.

The point of season two’s Scar was that both Scar and Kat had eclipsed Starbuck as better pilots. Kat gained skill through her dedication. Scar was fueled by a focused obsession for vengeance, Kara had already killed Scar once. Kara saves herself at the last moment by coming to terms with this new reality, and, well, deciding to honor her promise to go back for Anders. It is Kat who takes down Scar.

One of many facets to why BSG was a great show. Kara was all sorts of fallible, not invincible. I’ve seen many post-series criticisms claiming Kara was depicted as an unrealistic Super Everything. The character on the show I watched was a cautionary train wreck.

Well one thing ya gotta remember this is the girl that can’t stay dead. She gets killed and Bamo she’s back in a spiffy new viper nonetheless. Max is a great pilot that’s a given. He is though an even greater tactician. Where Kara has an edge though is in sheer willingness to go for broke. To paraphrase another movie (Down Periscope) She will go Balls to the Wall guys any and every time. That and she has the talent to pull it off.

As was said earlier Max will size up a situation and make up a strategy on the fly. Where Kara will go for the head shot at the first moment.