Lost 4.9: The Shape of Things to Come (spoilers)

After a looooong month of waiting, here we go again for Lost Season 4.5! “The Shape of Things to Come” (I’ve heard that before… Is Six in the episode?) is the first of the remaining 6 episodes of this season (the last 3 being one giant episode aired on May 15 and May 29). Feel free to talk about tonight’s episode in this thread.

(btw here’s the latest video podcast from showrunners Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse)

:frowning:
poor Alex
I think she really believed that Ben didn’t care

holy frakking frak!!! what the frak!!!

So Ben stole the island from Charles Widmore, increasing my suspicion that Widmore was a crew member of the Black Rock.

OMFG!!! BEN!!! I am freaking out! wow Holy Christ that was insane!

I loved the smirk on Ben’s face after he got Sayid to work for him.

and smoky was HUGE!!

OMG! That was the best episode ever, I think. There was so much information! And I can’t WAIT to see the smoke monster video again. I have it recorded on HD on my DVR, so I’ll be watching this whole episode again and rewinding the smoke moster scene over and over just for kicks. I only wish we had heard more screaming and agony from the “bad guys” from the freighter. :wink:

Oh, and Ben totally Indiana Jones’ed those guys in the Sahara Desert–I did NOT see that coming! That’s what I love about Ben…every now and again he surprises you with his ferocity. You almost forget he can be that way because of his surface manner and then he beats down a guy and shoots the other one and steals a horse. Then he arrives at a hotel and checks in like he’s James Bond. LOL.

-K

I’m think so too. Could he have raised Ben once he was recruited? (the “how long have you been sleeping with booze by your bed” statement might imply that kind of familiarity …but then again, maybe he’s just assuming.)

That was a pretty intense episode! Poor Alex. Ben better NOT kill Penny.

This episode advances my crazy theory:

The power of the Island may be important throughout all of history. Thus, people from the far, far future may feel the need to visit it. (to protect from some dire future event perhaps?) I’m thinking that that explains Smokey, and his highly advanced technology. My thought is that people from the far future were observed visiting the past by island natives who in turn built the 4-toed statue (evolutionary biologists have said that as humans continue to evolve, the pinky toe will eventually go away). The island natives could have observed the visitors “installing” the smoke monster guardian (A Smoke God being an “explainable” thing to natives of a volcanic island).

Later, the pirate ship The Black Rock crashes on the island (Widmore the captain, Richard a crewmember). Once he discovers the island’s worth, Widmore lays claim to it and starts using it for his own ends, as any normal pirate would.

Dharma eventually arrives. The pirates recruit Ben. Widmore leaves (or is kicked off) the island with amassed wealth (but maybe can’t return). Ben and the remaining pirates are indeed defending The Island to save the world.

…So anyway,…
Ben was all dirty after summoning Smoky. I think he may have gone way back in time to somehow control Smokey’s attack of the Widmore’s troops.
(it has been rumored that we’ll see an episode that explains the statue and the island’s past, my guess is that the big surprise in that episode will be Ben showing up)

Anyway, that’s my Crackpot Theory, and I’m sticking to it.
(oops, wrong podcast)

Well, to be honest, I think ben did care. he was tring to get Kemy to think that he didn’t, so it would be useless to kill her.

Yeah, that’s my thought. So if Widmore’s got Penny hidden in whatever future this is (after Ben went to Iraq, which seemed to be six years after Saayid got off the island since he said it took him six years to find Nadiya)-- is Desmond with her? Did they reconcile and reunite? Or is he out there still searching for her?? Gah!

It’s obvious that Ben really did care from his reaction then and the things he said later. And I think he really didn’t think Keamy would kill her.

Could Faraday really not get the phone working, or did he set it up to use morse code only in an attempt to disguise what was being said? He obviously was surprised when Bernard knew what had been said.

And Jack finally realizes that the freighter folks really aren’t here to help them after all.

Can only one person find Jacob’s cabin at a time? Is that why Ben needs Hurley to lead them to it?

I 100% agree, but it was a stupid ploy because even if it became useless to kill her the mercenary dude then had no reason not to kill her, either. It was one of Ben’s rare moments of miscalculation.

What I meant, though, was that Alex believed Ben when he said he didn’t care, which makes it even more tragic that she actually died.

No, it is October of 2005 when Nadia is killed, which is 10 months or less after Sayid gets off the Island. (The “current” time on the Island is around the end of December 2004 and Ben sees the footage on the TV then goes to Iraq in 2005.) I think the “8 years” comment included the time he had been searching before coming to the Island.

My sentiments exactly!

That was classic manipulative Ben, wasn’t it?

Oh, I agree. I think he was bluffing, but Keamy called Ben’s bluff and Alex paid for it. Poor kid.

But in the hotel, the desk clerk girl specifically tells him it’s 21 Oct 2005. Oceanic 815 crashed 22 Sept 2004. I think the 6 yrs Sayid was searching for Nadia started when he helped her escape in Iraq, not when he got off the Island.

lol, another J&J listener

Hey, ME TOO! I love J&J! Another really great fan podcast on par with GWC!:slight_smile:

Poor Alex indeed. Although we still don’t have any confirmation of Danielle’s death… (and she so could probably be the last cylon…)

I found interesting that Ben can’t seem to be able (willing?) to kill Widmore. Might it be the same thing (the Island? Jacob?) that prevented Michael from killing himself a few episode ago?

Finally watched the episode last night and the mind is spinning. I had never thought of Widmore as Captain of the ship, and that works well for me. I think what’s key is Ben’s statement- “You changed the rules.” There obviously are rules that govern the properties of the island and rules for the conduct of those “touched” by the island- like Michael not being able to off himself. How is it that Ben can seemingly come and go from the island and Widmore can’t? Or does anyone think Ben has lost his ability to travel to and fro in the future post-rescue timeline?