LOST 4.10 Something Nice Back Home (Spoilers)

Itchy for info on tonight’s Lost?
Ain’t It Cool News has this.
(don’t forget the inviso-text)

After last week’s great episode we’re already halfway through season 4.5. Interesting tidbits from showrunners Damon and Carlton in their latest podcast (from April 25th) about Smokey, the upcoming Dharkas and Ezra James Sharkington’s real age.

Okay, after this episode reminding us of the walking dead Chah-lie (and probably Christian Shephard) and previous possible dead-spottings of Libby, Yemi and others…
I’m thinking the island’s “magic Box” may only be able to deliver dead people.

Who else might actually be dead that we have been seeing?
Locke’s Dad, Libby, Patchy, Richard, Jacob, Boone, Hurley’s friend Dave, Kate’s horse, Vincent?

…How about stateside Tom?

…Ben and Widmore?

Any others?

There’s been a theory around for a while that the various “ghosts” people have been seeing are all manifestations of Smokey the Monster. (This was clearly the case the last time Eko saw Yemi but may have been the case in most of the other instances as well.)

If so, notice that Jack saw his father only after the smoke detector started beeping and Jack took the battery out of it?

That was probably my all-time favorite nod to the fans yet.

I absolutely think that was an indication that Christian/Charlie et. al. are the Smoke Monster. Damon & Carlton could have used any plot device to bring Jack face-to-face with his dad, so to me the obvious use of the smoke detector is to tell us that the Christian we see is Smokey. It then follows that Charlie was also Smokey.

This episode was much more subtle in its developments than last week’s buffet of juicy reveals, so I think it feels like a letdown, but if you carefully examine all the little pieces that were put into the puzzle last night, then I think the episode can be appreciated. I felt the same way about “The Other Woman” when it aired after “The Constant” which was another excellent episode.

Oh, and one last thing…if Charlie/Christian/etc. are Smokey, then HOW does Smokey leave the island? The same way that Ben does?

Ooooh, one MORE thing…how on earth did Keamy & Co. survie Smokey’s onslaught? What, did it just play with them like a cat w/ mice?

-K

My favorite was the death of log-carrying guy and his two other hapless lostie friends in last week’s episode.

-K