Lighthouse S6, E5

Fine I’ll start the thread for it. Smokey’s my friend says claire. Is the “more active” blog for lost? I love the Geedubsee but there aren’t many Losties on here.

I know. I can’t explain it. You’d expect the forum to be overflowing with Lost love.

I personally loved a lot of this episode. Enjoyed the Jacob/Hurley interplay. Was intrigued by the lighthouse’s inner workings. Was surprisingly moved by Jack’s flash sideways. Thought the acting in this ep. was great across the board. Clair was fun, especially comparing her performance with her previous stint in the cab. And FLock just keeps getting creepier.

So, are people feeling any more satisfied with how the numbers are playing into the story, or do you feel teased? I kinda like how the pieces are starting to fit together, but I don’t honestly expect to see all the pieces to the puzzle in place by the end of the series. Just can’t see how they’ll explain why the numbers kept showing up everywhere, even though we now know that every candidate had a number and that those numbers correlated with the mechanism of the lighthouse. Just seems unrelated.

Did Hurley’s musings on Adam and Eve fall surprisingly flat to anyone else’s ears? His theories and analogies are usually pretty amusing, but this felt too much like the writers playing with (almost mocking) the fans.

Sorry, I fell down on my thread-creating duties. And yeah, there was a lot of meta going on in that episode. Hurley’s whole “This is kinda’ old skool” discussion with Jack as they trekked through the jungle. I don’t think they mean it in a mocking way; I think it’s more like a fond callback to the earlier seasons. Though they could stand to be a bit more subtle about it (OMG, it’s Shannon’s inhaler!!1!).

Jack-centric episodes tend to bore me, so I’m happy we got that one out of the way. Sure, the convo with the kid was sweet but we don’t know this kid (nor his mother) and I couldn’t really bring myself to care. At least until Dogen showed up. Wha-huh?

Hurley definitely owned this episode. Loved his scenes with Jacob. And it would have been nice if Jack had bothered to see whose name was 108 (Desmond, perhaps?) before making it all about him and then “breaking the lighthouse.” JACK SMASH!

Claire: “If Kate were raising Aaron, I’d kill her.”
Me; “Go, Claire! Go, Claire!”

Not sure why she’s got a hate on for Kate, though, apart from all the obvious reasons that one would hate Kate.

So did FLocke just leave Sawyer in the cave?

I’ve often wondered the same thing. There’s definitely no love lost on other forums, but here…not so much. I understand it though, I have friends who appreciate the brilliance of say ‘Battlestar’, but despise ‘Lost’. The consensus is that there are too many mysteries and questions to commit long term. Not for me. I was sucked in at the pilot (like Gary Troupe) and have been hooked ever since.

So, are people feeling any more satisfied with how the numbers are playing into the story, or do you feel teased?

After ‘The Substitute’ I thought it was a huge reveal that the numbers corresponded with the names, but now it seems that was just as random as any other instance that we’ve seen them.

Jack episodes do have a history of sucking, like the infamous ‘Stranger in a Strange Land’ or ‘A tale of two Cities’ (after the opening sequence) but I liked this one. It was great to see Jack as a dad. His son definitely has Daddy issues as Jack is bat sh*t crazy…it was good to see him in “LETS JUST SEE WHAT HAPPENS” mode again.
Of course “He has what it takes” was in reference to his own daddy issues seen in ‘White Rabbit’.

The trend I am noticing is that in the betaverse the Losties seem to be coming to terms with their issues. Jack has always had issues with his dad telling him he “didn’t have what it takes” but in this episode he comes to terms with that and resolves to be a better father to his own son.

In the previous episode Locke came to terms with his disability, going from “Don’t tell me what I can’t do!” to focusing on what he can do.

OK, there didn’t seem to be a breakthrough in Kate’s episode but who cares about Kate anyway. :wink:

A few other observations. The character-centric episodes this season are matching the order of the character-centric episodes from the first season.

1.03 - Tabula Rasa : 6.03 - What Kate Does (Kate)
1.04 - Walkabout : 6.04 - The Substitute (Locke)
1.05 - White Rabbit : 6.05 - Lighthouse (Jack)

If this pattern holds next week should be a Sun/Jin episode.

Also, anyone note that this episode was episode 108 of the series?

My full recap and analysis - http://www.14kofginafpd.com/details.php?id=261

There is some LOST love on these boards, but I think a lot of people have other sources for LOST talk.

Anyway, great episode as usual. The Lighthouse itself was pretty cool. Seeing Jacob being all manipulative was awesome and goes with whoever said that he and The Man in Black are neither completely good or evil.

I hate to burst your bubble, but it looks like that pattern isn’t going to continue much longer. If you want to know, the wikipedia entry for “lost season 6” lists the next few titles and centric characters.

I was also wondering how both would get out of the caver after the ladder is broken now. Well, maybe we’ll see Smokey manifest and carry Sawyer in a future episode.:smiley:

Unless we get a Charlie centric one for Season 1’s The Moth, that pattern can’t be endured til the end.

When I first watched the episode I only found it Ok…maybe when I’ll rewatch it, there be more I can appreciate.
Anyhow, does anybody know or want to know what Dogen told Hurley in Japanese?

I wasn’t a fan of this particular episode. Could be my Jack bias (much like my Kate bias) though. But I did LOVE Jin and his rotten luck on the island (really, doesn’t he have the worst luck always?) His expressions at realizing that his old pal wasn’t quite all there was hilarious.

Here’s the thing:-
Either Jack is a selfish dumbass for -

• not asking Dogen any followup questions after he dramatically tells him that Claire, his very own freaking sister, is ‘infected’.
  • getting into a tantrum and SMASHING up the lighthouse contraption because he was so pissed off at what he saw and he couldn’t give two craps about anyone else’s images on the huge list of familiar names he actually knows on the dial, including Hurley who is standing right there! You know, maybe Hurley would want to see what’s up on his name. Not to mention the dozens of other names.

Or that the writers couldn’t figure out a way to advance this particular story without having the character do some really stupid things to retain the mystery. I don’t mind it as much when the episode is actually really good and interesting (say, like last week’s episode with Locke), but given that this story was (well acted, but) ultimately pretty dull with Jack, I just ended up being really annoyed with Jack (or the writers). Not even Hurley being all funny and meta could stop me from being really annoyed with Jack.

Especially when there are a slew of other characters - Sawyer, Jin, Sun, Ben, Miles, Richard, Desmond, Penny, the elder Widmore, the elder Paik, Faraday’s mom (and why their relation and history to the island matters) Hurley (but not as Jack’s sidekick), Lockey (though he’s been featured quite a bit so far), Jacob, Lapidus, Claire (since there’s a lot to catch up on a character we haven’t seen for more than a season), Christian, Wallace (and his specialness), etc, etc - all of whom I would like the show to concentrate on rather than showing me yet again that Jack has daddy issues and Kate is not that bad of a person. Not when there’s only a handful of episodes left! And it’s not even about whether the writers would answer all the questions (because I rather if they don’t answer everything) but rather that I want enough time to deal with these characters I am invested in, which I don’t feel like I’m getting.

^ Amen to all of the above. If we never see Emo!Jack or Fugitive!Kate in any other dimension or reality, I would be a happy camper.

Anyhow, does anybody know or want to know what Dogen told Hurley in Japanese?

From LOSTpedia:
(Not really a spoiler, because its about what you would expect, but I’ll put it in the tags anyway)
[spoiler]“You’re lucky that I have to protect you. Otherwise I’d have cut your head off.”[/spoiler]

I thought Kate’s breakthrough was that she stopped running. In so many of her episodes, Kate is running from something and in the process, someone else gets hurt. She was always willing to screw over someone else.

In this one, she went back and helped Claire. Sure, she ended the episode running still, but she paused long enough to help someone instead of letting them become another victim in the wake of Hurricane Kate.

Not sure if that was the point, but that’s what I got from it.

His son being a prodigy pianist helped bring that across. It seems to play into the free will vs. destiny theme. Wasn’t he playing the same Chopin piece that young Farady was playing in ‘The Variable’?

A few other observations. The character-centric episodes this season are matching the order of the character-centric episodes from the first season.

Whether or not the character pattern holds, I like the way that the first and last season are complimenting each other. They will make nice book ends when all is said and done.

That’s a good point. This site started out primarily BSG and branched to various topics from there. The ones that are just LOST are huge.

I know. This show had me at “Guys, where the hell are we”.

Also, I love the fact that Jacob was Woo’s friend/fellow henchman in the Big Lebowski. Think “Clearly you’re not a golfer”.

That is true. And I love the first season. The pilot is one of the best pilots ever. But, I am still worried about them concentrating on making the last season echo the first one too much (and what the writers were saying how the last season could be accessible to those who only watched the first season) - for the sole reason that some of my most favorite characters and some of the most intriguing plots didn’t even exist til the later seasons! I would like to know that these later season plots and characters will be explored or maybe even resolved much more than say, seeing Charlie (whose story already come in full circle of sorts) pop up again.

Great line! Six years later and we still don’t know.

I agree, most notably Desmond who wasn’t introduced until the second season. They can’t end this thing without him playing a major role somehow.

Someone asked me about Kate’s name on the lighthouse wheel. Here’s a screenie:

Agreed. Also, I think Twitter has taken away some of the discussion from the forum. And for me, I spend more time listening to 4 different podcasts about LOST and reading several LOST blogs in the days after an episode airs and sometimes I call in/ comment at the sites of those rather than come here. Plus, my hubby is really into LOST too, so we both discuss LOST in detail with each other in addition to listening to the 'casts/reading the blogs. Eventually it’s just overload. I prefer to discuss it with him and my inner-circle since they are really into it. If I think of it I will come here and its not that I don’t love you guys, its just that I’m on LOST overload by the time I think about it. I do like reading the frak party (prefer to watch w/o participating) and this reaction thread even if I don’t write anything.

Was it you Amy, who called in the last Jay and Jack Podcast? Cause I could hear kids in the background. :slight_smile:

Or is it a common name in the LOST fan community?