Lets Talk Socks

I feel like I’m turning into Forrest Gump’s Lieutenant Dan but I’ve always had a fascination for what makes up the right sock. Maybe it’s because I grew up on Hoth and played a lot of outdoor hockey and went ice fishing and spent countless days shoveling the driveway. Whatever the reason I’m wondering what the best sock is to use for biking or running or biking and running in all weather conditions. When I bought new running shoes a couple of weeks ago my shoe fitter (I refuse to call them sales people because they know exactly what they are doing in that particular store and do not try to push anything, instead they simply diagnose your foot, measure it and bring you the best shoes to try on your feet) recommended these Darn Tough Vermont Run/Bike socks. I love them. It sounds crazy but you can wear them for several days before needing to wash them. They keep my foot dry and at the right temperature. It’s made of Merino Wool which is not scratchy at all. They feel like a good cotton or silk sock. Plus they are true seamless. They worked so well I ordered another pair off of Amazon. Of course the downside is that they are $14 a pair but I think they are totally worth it.

Anyway, I’m far from a sock expert. And no, in case you were wondering, I don’t have a foot fetish. I’ve just had issues with my feet and want to treat them right so I can keep exercising without worrying about injury, rashes or hot spots. I’m guessing someone out there is a sock expert, though, and is willing to make a recommendation. I’m all ears…or feet…or whatever.

~Shooter Out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What’s the breathability like in them there socks? Comparable comfort to cotton? Do they retain more heat?

GWCers are people who think about things.

Well, like I said I’m no expert. What I can tell you is these are some of the best socks I’ve ever worn for exercising. They are very breathable and just as comfortable (maybe even more so) than cotton. I have not noticed these socks retaining more heat but because they do not retain water even on my wet bike rides last Saturday and this morning my feet maintained temperature because my socks were not soaked.

Have you found anything different that works for you? I know your activity is more indoor/gym related so I don’t even know if it matters there. I have not yet used these particular socks in the gym yet so I can’t give you a read on them in that environment.

I know it sounds gross, but the shoe fitter mentioned that you could use them for days without washing and I was curious so I actually smelled them after I used them. Not a whiff of stink to them after a use or two. And I did wash them in normal laundry and they came out great - no degregation whatsoever. I’m liking them so far.

For exercise, I never gave socks a second thought beyond 100% cotton, but I don’t run or do anything that requires serious sock-age; most of my physical activity is barefoot.

But when it comes to winter, it seems that no force on the earth can keep my feet sufficiently warm for me. On cold days, I wear two layers of cotton socks (ankle cut), plus calf-high ski socks.

I switched over to Smartwool socks a couple of years ago and the only cotton socks I have left are in a bag of grease rags. You can indeed wear them for a few days in a row, they won’t stink and at the end of a sweaty work day I don’t have to peel nasty, sticky cotton socks off my feet. The Darn Tough socks are very similar, as are Icebreaker Merino socks. Wool is the clothing of the gods.
The downside, $14. The upside, I think they actually last longer than Hanes or whatever cotton socks. Also, I stopped having athlete’s foot all the time when I switched to wool socks.

Socks, go with the old truism: Buy low, sell high. Other than that you are on your own.

Coming soon…The adventures of Tattered sock