Kitchen Appliances and Tools

I know there’s been talk in the general thread about food scales (here) and Chuck and Mitch have done a whole FitSmart podcast about setting up your kitchen properly (here), but I wanted to review a few items I’ve recently purchased for everyone’s benefit.

First off, I did go ahead and purchase the EatSmart Digital Nutrition Scale - Professional Food and Nutrient Calculator. Admittedly it is on the pricey side for a kitchen scale ($69.95 on Amazon), but I think it was worth every penny. The glass scale easily detaches for cleaning and makes a nice big flat surface for plates, mixing bowls or sandwiches. With a simple button push the display is back-lit for easy reading in a darkened room, but it only turns on when you turn it on which saves battery power. Although most of us have smart phones or computer programs that aid us in finding out a raw ingredient’s nutrition information, the built-in nutrition calculator is easy to use if you keep the code book nearby. If you happen to lose the booklet I’m not sure if the codes are easily available anywhere and that could be an issue. The tare function is great and the weight is easily switchable between grams and ounces. There is a higher functioning nutrition calculator and memory functions available to include number of serving and such, but I never have to use them so I really couldn’t say how well or easy it is to work. Overall I’m super happy I bought this particular scale and would heartily recommend it to anyone seriously looking into one. In fact I plan on purchasing one for my father for his birthday later this month. I’ll get a true sense of a non-techie operating it then.

About a year ago I saw Chuck in action using his [Ninja blender](http://www.target.com/p/ninja-master-prep-black-silver/-/A-12834612#prodSlot=medium_1_5&term=ninja blender) and was amazed by it. Unfortunately I promptly forgot about it when I returned home. A few weeks ago I was in the market to replace my old POS blender and was going to ask Chuck about it until I listened to the FitSmart kitchen podcast again. I brought the Ninja up on my work computer and immediately had three other co-workers raving about it. On the way home I went to Target and picked one up on sale for $44.99. It has been an addition to my kitchen Tony Stark would be proud of (perhaps he even designed it himself!). I’ve used it flawlessly for smoothies, making the kids waffles, and tuna salad sandwiches. It has amazing performance for a fraction of the cost of some of it’s competitors. The only complaints I’ve had were that the main blender bowl/pitcher is a little too wide for funnel pouring smoothies into a glass and the smaller chopper bowl has no funnel at all. Other than that it is the best blender I have ever used. There is no cavitation and everything is chopped or blended up uniformly as you’d like it. As a bonus the base of the larger pitcher fits easily unto my EatSmart scale so making anything and recording it into myfitnesspal is an incredible ease with the tare function. The Ninja is also a purchase I would recommend to anyone and I’ll most likely be gifting one or two this holiday season as well!

I hope this information helps! Let me know if you have any specific questions on either and I’ll let you know what I think.

~Shooter Out

I bought a lot of kitchen equipment last month, so I think I’m set. But the one thing that I’m waffling on is getting a different blender. Right now I have a KitchenAid 5-Speed, but I’ve been thinking about getting something like the Magic Bullet, except more durable. I like being able to make smoothies right in the cup. The other option I’m considering is getting a Vitamix 5200. It’s crazy expensive, like $450, but apparently it’ll last until I die, and if they tuck it into my coffin I can take it with me into the afterlife.

My most recent blender purchase was around $80 with a glass pitcher instead of plastic. That one has worked the best. No more plastic!

I’m still loving the Ninja even after a most unfortunate Thanksgiving evening foot meets chopper blade incident. I’ve used it to make turkey noodle soup, a sweet red cabbage dish called rotkohl and many, many MANY smoothies. I’d buy it again in a heartbeat.

And my foot healed up just fine.

~Shooter Out