Keanu Reeves to play Spike Spiegal in Cowboy Beebop movie.

I looked across the forum to see if anyone had posted this. I hate to be the one to bring it up if noone else has but… it’s true. 75 year old Keanu Reeves will be playing 27 year old Spike Spiegal in a Live action Cowboy Beebop movie.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/12/17/keanu-reeves-confirms-live-action-cowboy-bebop-involvement/

I just heard this on Slice of Sci-fi. My dread is palpable.

The fact that Hollywood would not be able to resist saying “You know, we can make it better. Who needs all that moralism, philosophy, and character depth? We can add explosions and Keanu Reeves!” makes me almost ill. Hollywood must be stopped!

Maybe we should pull a Gaeta on the film industry… hmm.

Bebop live-action movie= could be awesome with the right director and cast

Keanu Reeves as Spike= definitely not the best start to achieving the above

Who’s going to play Jet Black, Arsinio Hall? ( since we are bringing back the class of 1988 with Keanu)

i think that “boy?” lead singer from Tokyo Hotel should play Edward.

An army buddy of mine works for an agency in LA and he explained the situation like this:

The first question a studio exec asks when being presented with a script or concept is “who is attatched to this project?”

He says that if there isn’t a big name, any big name ( even if they wouldn’t be right for the part) the idea get S-canned. Occasionaly a certain director can get a movie made his way… but it takes a LOT of prior success.

Reeves might be the big name attatched to Cowboy Beebop… hence it’s the only way that it get’s made. I say… just do another movie ( one that takes place mid series or prequal)

If you are going to do a project like this, why alienate your built-in fan base? They will probably see it anyway but if they lurves it, they will see it again, and drag friends to see it and buy the DVD and then later buy the Director’s Cut DVD and then later buy the Blu-Ray copy and then the Collector’s Copy with Spike figure. Also: a digital copy to put on their iPod.

People who arent’ fans of the anime series may or may not go see it. They may or may not “get it”. They will possibly wait for a rental. They may or may not buy it for their collection.

I have never heard of a Keanu Reeves fan who can’t wait for the “next big Keanu movie, dude”. Ever. I think his name is familiar enough to peak the average trog’s interest in a commercial but not powerful enough to seal the deal like a “Show Me Teh Monies” Cruise or a “Yippee-Ki-Yi-Yay” Willis.

if it does fail… it closes the book on ANYTHING cowboy beebop being made from a studio over here… so they HAVE to get this movie right. Keanu isn’t it

People were uber-concerned over Reeves ability to play John Constantine too and he didn’t do badly. He’s not a terrible actor, he’s just the guy taking the checks other people are giving him. He takes his roles seriously and he won’t screw it up on purpose. Just hang in there.

I am hoping that the upcoming disaster of a live-action version of Dragonball will kill Cowboy Bebop’s chances. One, Keanu is the power that is getting it done, from what I’ve read, and that means bad news. Vanity projects are never good, especially not when he’s involved. Two, anime is awesome because of its stylization and the way it can explore topics and events that would be difficult in live action. I think that Speed Racer is a good indication of how well that stylization translates, even when you have amazing technology to eliminate the problem of non-believable effects.

I’ll say it again. Keanu was in Bill and Ted when I was in the 6th grade. He was like 22. so now he is like 75 years old or might as well be.

Spike Spiegal is 27 at the end of the series!

Who’s going to play Faye Valentine? Melanie Grifith?

check these people’s imdb before you caste them please.

Maybe edward can be played by Maude Adams