Just started watching SG1

I never got into SG1, not sure why since now that I’ve started it I’m totally into it. It never came up in conversation, but one day a friend of mine said it’s amazing, and he is pretty picky when it come to what television to watch, so that’s what finally sold me on trying it out.

What’s up with the nude scene in the opening 2 episodes? Is that a director’s edit from the DVD, or was that on TV? If that was on TV, the 13 year old me would have watched every single episode religiously waiting for another boobies scene.

EDIT: It’s interesting how humanoid life around the universe can only grow from planets that can support an ecosystem identical to the GVRD.

It was originally on Showtime. That was probably something encouraged by the Showtime. I think the Stargate crew knew that wasn’t the type of show they wanted to make and they quickly found what worked. The crew talks a lot about a similar thing happening with Eureka on the SE! cast.

Indeed. As a matter of fact, a couple years ago, they released a Final Cut version that had a bunch of changes, including cutting around the nudity (along with redoing some of the effects to be more consistant with what comes later and Christopher Judge redoing all his dialog).

I have that final cut, it was in the box set I bought (by the way, if you’re considering it don’t buy the box set. The discs get really scratched in the cardboard sleeves they made) and I MUCH preferred it to the original. The boobies, while appreciated, were gratuitously unnecessary and Teal’c turning on Apophis seems far less out-of-the-blue.

I also never got into SG-1. I remember when it came out. I watched the first episode. After that I don’t know what happened. I didn’t member it was on or it conflicted with other things. Now that it is on instant watch I will be dedicating a lot of time watching it all. I really want to get into this show. After hearing all the good things about it on GWC I can’t wait.

Netflix Canada must have an older cut or something. It still had the out of place nude scene, but I found Teal’c’s betrayal of Apophis prety well telegraphed. He never gave any outright reasons for wanting to defect, but there was a whole lot of frowny faces made indicating he wasn’t happy with enslaving people. It could also help that I’ve seen Teal’c in clips here and there, so I knew he was a big part of the show long after the first episodes.

Pretty much the same thing as me. I’m not sure when it premiered in Canada but I vaguely remember trying to watch it because I was a huge fan of the movie, and I grew up watching Macgyver so I wanted to watch more Richard Dean Anderson. I Long forgot about it, but now I’m finally getting into it. I’d say it’s about on par with Star Trek TNG but it hits the mark right away, whereas TNG took a season to hit its stride.

When I first saw Children of the Gods it didn’t have the nudity. It was years later before I discovered it. I was starting a rewatch and the version I got had the nudity. I was somewhat suprised.

Just noticed the actress who plays Lacey on Corner Gas does a small role early on in the series. It’s weird watching older Canadian productions because the industry is so small you start to see the same faces over and over in all sorts of different roles.

I’m about a dozen episodes into the series now. There are few ways that the developers of this series could have made the Gau’ould(sp) more disgusting. Every time they appear is just awful. Im not sure how anyone could ever think that this was a good idea. How come Tea’lc is the only guy who says F that S and goes to earth where theres cake and pie and no giant abdominal parasites (that he knows of anyways).

I am now 9 episodes into season 1. Loving what I am seeing so far. The introduction to Thor was interesting. Can’t wait to see more.

You’re through the 1st season doldrums (I consider Thor’s Hammer and Torment of Tantalus, the one where they were in that alien meeting place with the old guy, to be the turning point of the series) and it’s a great ride for the next 9.5 seasons.

Or 14.5 if you count Atlantis. Which you should.

Or 16.5 if you count Universe. Which you also should :slight_smile:

I love SG1 - it is probably the only scifi series in recent memory that I really got into. And for once, the transition from movie to TV series did not bother me one iota.

Just finished SG1 for the first time, not too long ago. I like the show…I look at it as Three different series. 1 the military show where regualr folks can beat aliens. I loved that. Then later it jumped the shark and I was ready for what looked like it was meant to be the finale. Then the next season with Parker Lewis was really good, I liked him. Then it went to crap again…then in the end: I hated Claudia Black…asll else about the sereies was reguvinated and as great as the first seasons. I liked Mitchel, and I really really loved the episode where Teal’Q get’s his own place. I followed up with atlantis…which I love more. and I am currently about 6 eppisodes into Universe.