John Carpenter's The Thing 11/4 @ 10 PM ET

Thursday, 4 November 2010
10 PM Eastern - 7 PM Pacific
(Calculate Time Zone)

“I dunno what the hell’s in there, but it’s weird and pissed off, whatever it is.”

Monday, I fall asleep watching cable. I wake, and The Thing is on*. Awesome.

Heckuva lotta talent in this one. Maybe Wilford Brimley’s last role before he became the go-to old man; he doesn’t have gray hair, so it took me a while to accept it was really him, despite that unmistakable voice**. Richard Mazur is good.

And prime-era Kurt Russell could deliver a line like nobody’s business. Effects are terrifying and amazing. Someone shoulda made an entire movie of him reading lines from Mad Magazine’s Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions.

And, snap, look who did the music: Ennio Morricone of Eastwood Spaghetti Western fame. If anyone’s allowed to stop John Carpenter from scoring his own movie, that is the guy.

*Spoiler:

[spoiler]It was during the dogs scene. 9 times outta ten, if there’s a dog in a movie, it’s gonna end badly for the pooch.[/spoiler]

** Someone at Pixar or Dreamworks oughtta make a bunch of animated movies with Brimley.

chant:

Kurt / Russell / Arc!
Kurt / Russell / Arc!

Is anyone else planning to watch this? I think we need to reschedule. :frowning:

Um dude Walking Dead is on then

Why do you think I asked this?

Hearing no dissent, this will be rescheduled to Thursday the 4th.

Some of us who attended NYCC this year saw a panel on the new remake/prequel. It looks pretty sweet.

ETA: It was asked if the new movie would end where this one begins, with the dog running. They were coy, but I’m kind of thinking that it’ll end up there.

That computer had to be insanely expensive, considering how long ago this was. Maybe he’s lucky how this all turned out. :slight_smile:

And with one bullet, he doomed them all. :eek:

I can’t remember, but I think it’s just possible that the black guy isn’t the first one to die. Very progressive. :slight_smile:

This always reminds me of the Star Trek episode(s) where everyone got drunk on polymerized water and went crazy.

Particularly gruesome how the blood froze before it reached the ground. :eek:

Damned spooky music. :eek:

Why are you bothering with a shovel? The snow would cover it in less than an hour.

So weird to think of that cute puppy as the villain. :eek:

These… “remains” are just entirely unsettling. Obviously partially human, but clearly something else as well.

The way that dog acts is just so unnatural. Amazing training.

And then everything goes all otherworldly. :eek:

“Mac wants the flamethrower!”
“Mac wants the what?” :smiley:

Definitely not James Arness in a rubber suit. :eek:

It looks like a shoggoth. :eek:

“This, for instance, that’s not not dog. That’s imitation.” :eek: