Job Title Help

HALP! I’ve been asked to decide my own job title for my (somewhat) new job for a small company and I want to make sure that I choose something that suitable. I had the same problem at my previous job, but within the structure of positions there, I was limited and ended up with a very vague solution. I’d like to try to find something that’s better suited for this position as it’ll help me moving forward with future job searches and positioning. It’s a small company, the owner doesn’t have a specific title, the other main employee put ‘operations manager’ on her business cards and then we have a warehouse guy who doesn’t have a need for cards or a title. I’ve listed what I handle for the company below, let me know if you need clarification or have other questions. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

My duties are:

• website management
  • marketing management
  • blogging
  • photography
  • graphic design
  • will soon include video production
  • social media
  • some client interaction
  • some sales
  • some shipping and inventory management

Try Director Of Communications or Media Management. I’ll check Virgin’s new job listings. If any of them pop out at me I’ll recommend them as well.

This website is blocked at work for me, but some of the job titles may apply to you.

http://virg.in/WLPbe

Marketing Manager would cover what you listed Julie.

Director Of Marketing or Director Of Communications would probably look more flattering on a future resume. But I agree, Marketing Manager does cover it.

I think Marketing Manager would be better because of its consistency with what the other person selected.

[COLOR="#0000FF"][SIZE=6]Invincible Overlord?[/SIZE][/COLOR]

OB

Senior Mad Man

I was considering the size of the company too, smaller companies usually don’t use the title Director of anything.

Also, moved the thread to Hive Mind.

Social Analyst

Thanks everyone! Do you think that using the term ‘marketing’ limits the range when looked at by a larger company or a different area? For example, if I decided to go back to a corporate position solely as a graphic designer? Does Communications Manager sound more encompassing or am I just over-analyzing? This is why I have such a hard time naming things… Maybe just combine the two: Communications & Marketing Manager?

I thought about combining the two also. I just applied the KIS (keep it simple) principle due to the small firm you’re currently at. But here’s a page with job titles and descriptions in your field that may help you nail one down that will suit you now and in future job considerations. By selecting one title to see the description you will get to see all of them. :wink:
http://www.paladinstaff.com/services/job-title-descriptions/

Director of Marketing and Communications FTW.

Wow, good list! Thanks!

I went with Marketing and Communications Manager. From the list, it looks like Directors are generally in larger companies. Since I don’t oversee anyone and the other title in the office is a manager, it’s fitting. Majority of my job is under the Marketing Manager and Communications Manager from Gryper’s website.

Thanks so much everyone! This really helped me to make sure I’m choosing the right title and positioning myself well. Now to figure out how to list all the hats I’m wearing on my resume. Ha!

Glad to be of help Julie! :smiley:

Fedora. One of the hats has to be a fedora.

And a white ballcap with a shamrock.

I wholeheartedly agree with this! Fedora is definitely one of the hats I wear.

I actually have one! I’ll totally include it in my hat-wearing list.