James Burke "Connections" -- aka: get you learn on.

Hi Folks,

I remember these thought provoking BBC series.

Mostly its from a science history perspective detailing the process of incremental advancement of knowledge --> linkage to Full Collection.

//youtu.be/WgOp-nz3lHg

Connections I ( 10 episodes)
Connections II ( 20 episodes)
Connections III ( 10 episodes)
The Day the Universe Changed ( 10 episodes)

Really good stuff :slight_smile:

OB

Later when playing “Sid Meier’s Civilization” I was reminded of these series and the “knowledge, discovery, technology” trees that so many 4X type games integrated into game play.

I slogged through years of history and not once did anyone suggest Western Civilization owes its existence to coal tar. History of science and philosophy of science will give you a much clearer picture of how we got here and where we’re going. James Burke is your red pill ticket down that rabbit hole. Afterward, traditional history with its fixation on famous personalities reads like People Magazine.

If you’ve ever read Malcolm Gladwell, Freakonomics, Jared Diamond, Edward Wilson, Nicholas Taleb, you’re going to love James Burke, the forgotten Carl Sagan of the paradigm shift. Get ready for a roller coaster ride.

well said, well said. I keep stopping the episodes so I can mentally rewind the connections that are discussed. When you see the frailty of some of the events ( “right time, right place, right person, right circumstance” ) it is so easy to wonder what the “alternate time lines” would look like if the connection had never been made.

OB