Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1) vs Benjamin Sisko (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)

If you haven’t seen Stargate SG-1 or Star Trek: Deep Space Nine stop reading this post immediately, run to your nearest streaming provider that carries these series or purchase or rent physical DVDs. and sit down and WATCH them! Personally I prefer Stargate SG-1 over Star Trek: DS9 but it is a moot point because they are both amazing series.

Both series place our chief uniformed protagonists in situations where they are often operating far from friendly support in command of small elite units. Both end up operating behind enemy lines, both suffer tragic family loss, both end up dealing with a diverse set of alien species, both fight long protracted wars, both have their share of spiritual issues to deal with, both have commanded starships in battle, and both are considered elite troops.

The Jack O’Neill version brought into this Geek Deathmatch is the Jack O’Neill with two l’s that is portrayed by Richard Dean Anderson as opposed to the Jack O’Neil with one l that is portrayed by Kurt Russell in the 1994 Stargate movie and allegedly has no sense of humor. Jack is an accomplished US Air Force fighter pilot who transitioned to special operations and following a brief retirement due to the tragic death of his son was reactivated to be a part of the Stargate program. Jack spent the bulk of the next 8 years in Stargate Command “off world” all over the galaxy fighting the Goa’uld and re-establishing the human species in the galaxy. Jack was eventually promoted to General and ran Stargate Command before being promoted again to run the Department of Homeworld Security. Jack’s unique ways to view situations through the eyes of his suborinates give him the insight necessary to deal with strange and often complex situations that are completely new to today’s people of Earth.

jack o'neill.jpg

Benjamin Sisko is portrayed by Avery Brooks. On the heals of losing his wife at the battle against the Borg of Wolf 359, Sisko is assigned to the backwater Deep Space Station DS9 to help the Bajoran transition from a Cardassian occupation. Once in command of DS9 Sisko is able to open to stable wormhole that connects the Alpha Quadrant to the Gamma Quadrant of our galaxy. With the wormhole opened, Sisko finds himself in multiple crossroads and DS9 is now a hub for transporation, scientific research, commerce and war. During his seven year command Sisko successful accomplishes campaigns against multiple enemies including the Maquis, the Cardassians, the Jem’Hadar, and the Founders. During the series final moments Sisko fullfills his destiny as Prophet and ends up “transcending” into the Prophet’s plane of existance, vowing to eventually return to his wife.

While definitely different series, the parallel’s between DS9 and SG-1 are very present and both Jack and Benjamin are certifiable badasses.

However, the question before GWC is not whether they are badasses, but who would win in a Geek Deathmatch? It’s up to you decide. Be careful on who you vote for and enlighten us with why you did below. I’m sure there will be interest in why you backed who you did.

Good Luck!

This is a bit tricky. If it was small unit combat (say SG-1 vs Sisko, Dax, Worf, and Kira), I’d probably go with Jack. In terms of running larger commands (the SGC vs Deek Space Nine), I’d go with Sisko. Jack never really liked having a desk job, and Sisko seemed to be a more capable administrator

One on one is a lot trickier. Tech probably favors Sisko, but Jack is more experienced in terms of ground combat. Sneakiness is probably a push. I’m leaning toward Jack, but I need to think about it some more before I cast my vote.

The larger the scale of the battle, the more it favors Sisko. 1 on 1? Jack. 2 on 2? Jack, because Jack would bring Sam, and Sam and Jack together can defeat Sisko + anyone. Sisko only starts to pull ahead when you have hundreds of people fighting on multiple fronts. Ultimately I voted for Sisko because he is the Emissary. :slight_smile:

For me it is a draw. Both shows are ensemble shows, not hero shows. No one person is a star, all of the cast get to shine. And they work best when as a team.

Neither of the men in question are really solo operators, they are Commanders. And as such they are trained to lead, inspire and utilize the skills and talents of their team. While each of them has had moments where they get to shine on their own, their best moments are always when they are with their ‘Brothers and Sisters in arms’. Pushing their peers beyond their comfort limits, making them think outside the box to find solutions to unforeseen problems. Improvising when a plan goes tits-up, calming your team down when under extreme pressure; and bringing their minds back onto a solution, rather than focusing on the problem. And when needed, they do not shy away from making the hard decisions. They can be ruthless when necessary. And yet inspire loyalty from their followers and peers.

They are Leaders. They are force-multipliers. They can make a small force hit or defend as well as a force twice their size. Push them harder than they thought they could withstand, and perform feats they had previously thought impossible.

If you are looking for Rambos, then Ronin and Sheppard from Stargate Atlantis are more what you are looking for.