Jack Burton (Big Trouble In Little China, 1986) vs Buckaroo Banzai, 1984

Jack Burton and Buckaroo Banzai are two of my childhood Saturday afternoon scifi movie heroes. The two movies bookended Back to the Future in 1985 with Peter Weller bringing Buckaroo to life for us in 1984 and Kurt Russell gracing us with Jack Burton’s presence in 1986.

Jack Burton was a simple American Truck Driver thrown into the interdimensional evil oriental war based on ancient knowledge and sorcery. Jack has an innate ability to utilize weaponry and, of course, is fighting to get the girl at the end. Remember, it’s all in the reflexes.

//youtu.be/TzwGwsdaeQo

Jack’s true value was his ability to say just the right thing. Here’s some more classic Jack Burton.

//youtu.be/dl-pr5iqKb4

Before RDJ became Chuck’s hero there was Buckaroo Banzai. The man was a rock star, engineer, race car driver (in fact he drives a rocket truck through a mountain), and fights off aliens from the 8th dimension. Here’s a well-under rendered jet car trailer from a 2001 DVD release of Buckaroo Banzai.

//youtu.be/dBGw-rJHu6I

But Buckaroo Banzai himself? the man was unstoppable.

//youtu.be/qjaDZLgfS6w

Today, the two will square off in a GWC Deathmatch. Who will you choose, Buckaroo or Burton?

Burton has some skills, but he’s something of a bumbling buffoon who’d be dead without his (so-called) sidekick. Buckaroo Banzai is the model of a modern renaissance man.

hmmm … paper or plastic … /shrug

Of Course Brisco would best the both of them :slight_smile:

//youtu.be/oVrZE5Y2lV4

OB

P.S. I’ll go with Buckaroo … simply because he has is a musician as well.