Is DuckTales Science Fiction?

During our recent Geek Panel discussion of politics in science fiction, we nominated our dream sci-fi/fantasy cabinet. I suggested Scrooge McDuck for Secretary of the Treasury. Seems like a good fit, right? I mean, the guy knows how to save a dime. His entire fortune came from one single dime, as a matter of fact. Nowadays, he’s got so much cash, he swims in the stuff.

To my surprise, the rest of the panel shot down my suggestion. Not because they objected to my choice of Mr. McDuck, but because they didn’t think DuckTales counted as science fiction. Umm, excuse me?

I made my case as strongly as I could in the Hangout, but I vowed to elaborate on the Forum. Before I begin, I want to define my terms. DuckTales is a cartoon that takes place in the so called “duck universe,” featuring anthropomorphized animals, mainly fowl (ducks, pelicans, chickens, etc.), but also dogs, pigs, and others. Techincally, I suppose, this would make it a fantasy or some type of fairy tale. However, in almost all respects, the duck universe is identical to our own and operates on the same rules. History, society, technology, and culture close mirror that of late 20th century America. Cities like Duckburg and St. Canard have real-world parallels in San Francisco and New York City, respectively.

However, a key difference exists that makes the duck universe a science fiction universe, unlike our own. In the duck universe, the impossible is possible. Time travel, aliens, and robots all exist in the duck universe, much as they do in most science fiction universes - the Whoniverse, for example. Many of Scrooge McDuck’s adventures revolve around typical sci-fi plot devices, even paying homage to some well known ones. But you don’t have to take my word for it. Here we go:

Ten Reasons Why Scrooge McDuck and DuckTales are Science Fiction

10. It’s in the theme song: [i]“We might solve a mystery, or rewrite history.”[/i]

//youtu.be/OUxuvs9vhKg

Depicted in the opening montage are:
[ul]
[li]A laser gun[/li][li]A force field of some kind[/li][li]Time travel[/li][li]A dragon[/li][li]A mummy[/li][li]Robots[/li][li]Space travel[/li][li]Alien life[/li][/ul]

9. Duckburg is in a parallel dimension.

Holiday in Duckburg (1989); painting by Carl Barks

The similarities between the duck universe and our own are too striking to ignore. Many real-world locations exist in the duck universe and duck history shares many of the same historical figures as our own, or at least a close approximation of them. The obvious conclusion is that the duck universe is parallel to our own, and one in which evolution took a different path while the rest of the planet developed to be quite similar to our own.

8. Scrooge & Co. regularly use science fiction technology.

Because Scrooge posseses incredible wealth, he is able to outfit himself and his entourage (typically consisting of his dim-witted pilot, Launchpad McQuack, and his precocious nephews, Huey, Dewey, and Louie) with the latest in cutting-edge tech, usually provided by the misguided genius of Gyro Gearloose. This technology allows Scrooge & Co. to journey into outer space (“Where No Duck Has Gone Before”) and to the Middle Ages (“Sir Gyro de Gearloose”), for example.

Gyro also created a robot butler named Armstrong for Scrooge, who later decided he would rather work for himself. The episode “Armstrong” is like I, Robot, Battlestar Galactica, Bicentennial Man, and Terminator all rolled into one.

7. GizmoDuck.

Gearloose’s greatest creation is the suit of robotic armor that turns Scrooge’s mild-mannered accountant Fenton Crackshell into the crime-fighter GizmoDuck. By uttering the phrase “blathering blatherskite,” Crackshell can summon the armor and become:

Uh, yeah, pretty cool, huh? GizmoDuck becomes a mainstay of the duck universe and even crosses over into Darkwing Duck, a spin-off of sorts from DuckTales. Although they’re both heroes, Darkwing and GizmoDuck have an antagonistic rivalry. Which brings me to:

6. DuckTales shares its universe with Darkwing Duck.

Darkwing Duck is set in St. Canard, another city in the duck universe, and tells the story of Drake Mallard a.k.a. Darkwing Duck. Darkwing is a Batman-type superhero - he has no superpowers, but instead relies on his abilities, gadgets, and friends to save the day. He has a jet, the Thunderquack, designed and piloted by Launchpad McQuack (who joins him as his sidekick), shaped like a giant duck’s head.

Darkwing Duck features even more sci-fi elements, such as super-powered villians like MegaVolt and Bushroot. The show also featured rival spy organizations S.H.U.S.H. and F.O.W.L., the former led by J. Gander Hooter, who frequently recruited Darkwing for missions. F.O.W.L. was introduced in the DuckTales episode “Double-O-Duck.”

Because they share the same universe, the science fiction elements of Darkwing Duck also apply to DuckTales.

5. The Money Bin might as well be the TARDIS.

They certainly do travel though time enough. Seriously, Scrooge and the gang do a lot of time travel. I mean, they get around, from dinosaur times to the near-feature where Scrooge’s rival Magica DeSpell is charge. For a while the cast included, Bubba, a young caveduck adopted by Scrooge after he stowed away in Gyro’s Time Machine along with Tootsie, his pet Triceratops.

4. Scrooge mined for gold on the Moon, just because he felt like it.

In many ways, Scrooge McDuck posseses all the traits of an supervillian - the vast wealth, the minions, the wild schemes, and the tricked-out liar - he just isn’t evil. However, he still went to great lengths to attain more wealth, included trying to mine for gold on the moon in the comic “The Loony Lunar Gold Rush” (1975). I suspect Newt Gingrich (and Ron Paul) would approve of this plan.

3. Scrooge McDuck inspired Indiana Jones.

I can’t leave out the DuckTales movie, The Treasure of the Lost Lamp. In the movie, Scrooge, Launchpad, Huey, Dewey, and Louie hare off to the Middle East in search of the treasure of Collie Baba. However,because of booby traps, all Scrooge is able to aquire is an old lamp. Luckily, there’s a genie in it! Blah, blah, blah, and for his third wish, Scrooge frees the genie! That’s right, the 1992 Disney movie Aladdin steals the ending of the DuckTales movie!

But that’s not all. The film is heavily influenced by Raiders of the Lost Ark, which was, in turn, inspired by SCROOGE MCDUCK COMICS. For example, the booby-trapped idol which triggered a rolling boulder was inspired by the Scrooge comic “The Seven Cities of Cibola” (Uncle Scrooge #7, 1954). Still skeptical? Here’s a breakdown, shot for shot.

2. Scrooge McDuck inspired Inception.

In the Scrooge McDuck comic book, Scrooge’s enemies, the Beagle Boys, used a shared dreaming machine to invade Scrooge’s dreams in order to steal his loot. “WHAT THE FRAK?” you say? Don’t take my word for it:

So one of the greatest science fiction movies of the past decade had its plot ripped straight from the pages of a SCROOGE MCDUCK COMIC. The comic was called “Dream of the Lifetime” and it caused a whole hoopla when Inception came out, because how many dream heist stories are there, anyways? Christopher Nolan denied the connection, of course, but here’s a scene-by-scene breakdown of the comic book versus the movie. You be the judge.

TO BE CONCLUDED…

AND NOW… THE NUMBER ONE REASON…

1. Scrooge McDuck invented the Internet!!!1

In the 1990 season four episode, “Scrooge’s Last Adventure,” Scrooge loses his fortune due to some computer glitch, so he and Fenton venture into cyberspace to get it back. Oh, and Scrooge also thinks he’s dying, have been informed that “the old ticker is beyond repair” by a clock repairman he mistakenly believes is his doctor. Gyro sends the two of them into cyberspace, for what Scrooge believes will be his last hurrah. They have an adventure, waylaid for a while by Huey, Dewey, and Louie playing a computer game. But in the end, they locate his fortune in the form of some type of whale program. They go from Gyro’s computer to a computer in the Money Bin…

BY TRAVELING THROUGH THE TELEPHONE LINES.

Yep, in 1990, before most people had heard of the Internet, Scrooge was literally surfing the Web, depicted as - I swear to Crom - A SERIES OF TUBES. You can watch the entire episode on YouTube, because I can’t make this stuff up.

//youtu.be/zYTo_IG6w0U

[HR][/HR]

There you have it. If all of that doesn’t convince you that Scrooge McDuck would be eligible to serve on a theoretical science-fiction/fantasy cabinet, I don’t know what will.

What do you think? Sound off below and vote in the poll at the top of the page.

The web was still a couple years away, but many people were surfing the parallel internet of Bulletin Board Systems (which eventually became an extension of the Internet proper.) A lot of forum software started off on BBSes.

If all of that doesn’t convince you that Scrooge McDuck would be eligible to serve on a theoretical science-fiction/fantasy cabinet, I don’t know what will.

I’d classify it as fantasy with occasional SF motifs. So, if it’s SF then no, if it’s SF/F then yes. (This is why you should always provide a Baltar option.)

Yeah, I’d agree with it being a fantasy series. It does include some science fiction elements, but overall it’s a fantasy world.

We changed the wording of the poll to “Science Fiction/Fantasy” to make it a little more inclusive. My overall argument is that Scrooge McDuck would be eligible to serve on a Science Fiction/Fantasy cabinet because of the strong genre elements in the series. For example, we selected Treebeard to serve as Secretary of the Interior, who oversees the National Parks Service.

In that case I’d vote against Mr. Mcduck taking control of the treasury position. He’s too miserly with money. He’s the type of guy who would use child labour to save a buck. He steals resources from less developed nations. This is all great for making money, but it’d be terrible for a groups standing over. Questionable ethics would cost your organization more money then his antics would save.

Just a thought: if Dr Who was in the Ducktales universe, would that make him a quack Doctor? Heheh…

(Yeah, I know … Lame ~_~ )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would not consider it Science Fiction but rather animation with science fiction and fantasy elements within it. Not unlike some of the classic animation I grew up with like Johnny Quest, Sealab,Fantastic Voyage, the Herculoids and Space Ghost.

Being animation causes it to fall outside of straight up SF in most peoples minds (which is sad really), that and of course the whole anthropomorphized animal thing… It would be like asking us to classify Wallace and Gromit as Science Fiction because of all his wacky gadgets, and their trip to the moon. No it is not, but it is OSSIM and fun as hell to watch. And that is good enough for me. :smiley:

Why does everything have to be categorized and shoved into little boxes? Not everything fits, leave it be. If you enjoyed it and it made your imagination bloom isn’t that good enough? Ducktales may have become the gateway drug for many a young and future Geek, and that alone should give it a promote place on anyones mantle. Daffy Duck went into space and so did Bugs Bunny, doesn’t make them SciFi… Just OSSIM! And a great way to introduce young minds to the elements of Science Fiction, plant the seeds of imagination and wonder so that they may blossom latter.

Great discussion, and you made a great case. And NO FLAMING! Ain’t GWC great!!?? :smiley:

Thanks, Omra! I agree - my intent was to shoe that Scrooge/DuckTales counts as “genre” (sci-fi/fantasy/comics/manga/anime/video games).

And about Bugs, Daffy, and sci-fi - two words:

Space. Jam.