Is Blood & Chrome still alive?

BnC is alive. A good friend recently saw one of the first production videos, still green-screened. Said it was awesome nonetheless.

Well, they sure are keeping it quiet and taking their time. I wish we’d get some sort of official update about it.

Anything- just some news!

as of 12/17 - it looks like there is…something. not a series but…something

http://trekweb.com/articles/2011/12/17/Doug-Drexler-Gives-an-Update-on-Battlestar-Galactica-Blood-and-Chrome-TV-Series.shtml

may not know anything until February

It’s huge. I worked with Gary Hutzel, who once again is our visual effects supervisor. He is more fun than a barrel of monkeys. We had a blast. In one very important way it was different from anything else I’ve ever worked on. The entire show was green screen. There were no sets. This happened because of the shape of the economy. Building sets for a television show like TNG or the last Battlestar Galactica is just prohibitively expensive. No one wants to take that chance.

So in other words the shooting and possibly the effects are done, and it was done for less. Great! Why not air it?
Every day that passes Battlestar slips more and more out of both the public and fans mindset.

Surprisingly, we have an answer hours old from this weekend’s TCA. Many thanks to the Gazette’s Rob Owens for his speedy scoop.

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: PRESS TOUR: Update on ‘Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome’ 1/7

Syfy is currently waiting on the results of co-funding proposals sent out to other networks so Blood and Chrome can become a series. Somewhat like happened with Sky One in 2003 to finance the Battlestar miniseries. It took fourteen CG guys, and associated staff, one year to complete the CG work on the pilot. It would take some hefty expansion in manpower and infrastructure to deliver all green screen episodes on a series production schedule.

So rather than Syfy waffling in indecision, or the pilot stumbling to the finish line, or being a “turkey”, sounds like some folks at the network and in the production are being highly ambitious about Blood and Chrome’s future.

So say we all !!

More Blood and Chrome news! Jonolobster posted this link on Twitter. Neeeeeeeeeeeeeews! http://www.airlockalpha.com/node/8875/blood-chrome-may-not-premiere-until-2014.html

I will gladly wait if it means this show will be done RIGHT. How great would it be to have new BSG? I know nothing will compare to BSG, but this would be cool to see. Maybe it will make up for the short lived Caprica.

At least this sounds like good news. Hopefully they can get all their ducks in a row and we can get some more BSG!

Thanks everyone who posted links to news about B&C! I am excited to see it’s still alive. I am, however, a little concerned about the level of greenscreen they’re going to use. See, I don’t like the look of Sanctuary at all. It looks fake and cheap to me. So I’m a little concerned about how much this show is going to rely on CGI and photos for its sets. To many it might not be a big deal, but to my eyes it’s distracting and obvious.

Yeah, I agree. I’m reminded of the movie “Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow” I think it was called. Lots of cool stuff, giant robots, dinosaurs, but it all felt more like a simulation than an actual movie. Would have been better if they had animated the actors as well.

Still, if they air it I will definitively check it out which is more than I can say about much of what is playing on Sify these days.

Well, all I can say here is, think Caprica. An inordinate portion of the short-lived series was CGI backdrop (and foreground to some degree), and with only a few exceptions (the Pyramid stadium stands out in my mind), I didn’t find it particularly distracting. I’d love to hear from some industry folk who can attest to the cost effectiveness of certain balances (what percentage done on location with tangible props versus rendered), with particular focus on the sci-fi genre.

I don’t know anything about greenscreens, but Lili Bordan (who is slated to play Dr Becka Kelly on the series) sure can tango.

[QUOTE=Topgun;402253]I don’t know anything about greenscreens, but Lili Bordan (who is slated to play Dr Becka Kelly on the series) sure can tango.

[/QUOTE

you’re just showing off that you can get two hot ladies to tango with you!

And you can blame me? :smiley:

[quote=“Topgun,post:36,topic:14084”]

No. But now I have to get three hot ladies to tango with me.

BSG in-house’s technology was beefed up after Caprica to tackle the demands of Blood and Chrome. Lightwave 11 pre-release, also used by several new feature films, and Vue, to create Blood and Chrome’s ice planet environment, were mentioned specifically. Vue is used regularly in feature films and high end commercials, I’m not aware of its use in television features yet. So the planet ought to be real sparking good, an unprecedented sight in all things BSG.

So I’m a little concerned about how much this show is going to rely on CGI and photos for its sets. To many it might not be a big deal, but to my eyes it’s distracting and obvious.

NewTekTV: VFX Minds 2011

77 minutes but don’t doze off, Jerri Ryan’s purple dress makes a reappearance.

If Doug Drexler is excited, that’s all the reassurance I need. He thinks this is a big step up for them, the best work they’ve ever done in their careers. Better than the Bucket Drop™ or the Pegasus splodey? Oh my. They were terrified starting out but the Galactica CIC exceeded expectations so much they decided to expand it. The original was a closed set but you still must place the camera somewhere and further, there are nook and crannies the cameras could never be placed. No longer a problem with a virtual set. And… more Vipers than can be counted… in the hangar bay and in combat as befitting a younger battlestar in active service.

The trailer for Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome premiered at WonderCon yesterday.

LA Times: Hero Complex: WonderCon 2012: ‘Battlestar Galactica’ and the science of fiction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdfLgM4OiPk
Theres the link to the new trailer!