Is batman a dick?

interesting question from the cast?

He is the night.

Also, yes.

When Grayson temporarily took on the mantle, Batman was literally a Dick.

I say nay. By definition, a dick must intend to hurt others with their actions. Note that Batman doesn’t do this. Is he anti-social? Yes. Is he blunt and mindless to others’ feelings? Absolutely, but so are Aspbergers patients. He doesn’t inflict harm mindlessly. He usually does it either because the other person is wrong or they are wasting time that he doesn’t have. Remember that in the world of Gotham, he doesn’t have the luxury of either. He is a scalpel, a weapon of precision. And as any surgeon will tell you, there is no putting up with fools in the O.R.

Totally. And the more I watch Batman: THe Brave and the Bold the more i see the dickishness of the Bats. He is still one of my favorite Super Heros. I mean any guy who often tells the Justice League to Frak off I am doing my own thing you guys wrong cant be half bad. It’s not that he says it its how he says it.

It depends on the writer. There have been times when Bruce was in a lot of pain and did things, that really pissed me off. The one that really blew my friends and I away was in the 70’s when Clayface was committing a series of robberies to collect the medicines he needed to cure himself. And while Clayface had killed a few people it was only because he was driven by the pain of his body breaking down that he killed them, and thereby turning them into puddles of goo instead of himself.

Anyways at the end of the story Clayface had the machine all powered up and was ready to cure himself, and then Batman swoops in and yanks a cable. The machine blows up and kills Clayface. I was like WTF?

Let the machine cure him, and then arrest the human version of Clayface. But Bats was full of rage and pain and could not see the situation for what it really was. He makes mistakes, and it makes him all the more human.

Bruce Wayne’s middle name could very well be Richard.

Couldn’t agree more! In the hands of a senile Frank Miller, he’s the g-d Batman… :stuck_out_tongue:

In the hands of a Bruce Timm or Paul Dini, he’s a plain ol’ hero!

Yes, love him, but he kinda is.

Would a dick routinely dress children in brightly color costumes and put them in harm’s way?
Would a dick constantly put homicidal lunatics into an easily escapable asylum?
Would a dick pull a piece on Kryptonite on Superman?

Is he a dick? Looks like.

I’d have to say a strong “kind of”.

he’s not a dick in the sense of Christian Bale yelling at a sound guy, but if you look had how he treats Robin through the new Batman in Batman Beyond…there is some dickishness

As was mentioned earlier in this thread - it’s really up to the writer.

I LOVE IT!!!

But 1) Robin was going to do it anyway. Batman just made sure he did it right. 2) Supermax wasn’t built yet. And have you even played Arkham Asylum? That place is more protected than Angelina Jolie’s shoe closet! 3) Superman started it!

No no no, you silly silly man.
Dick is his ward, whom is secretly Robin.
Batman is (Spoiler Alert!) a Bruce, not a Dick. :smiley:

Bruce Wayne is a very damaged character that never had a childhood. He never spent time lerning how to interact with other kids or people in general. But I dont think he is a dick. He tries very hard to take care of everyone and thats an impossible task and he cares too much to the point that he would take a bullet for a stranger in a heart beat.

A caveat
I’m just playing the devil’s advocate here just to balance the views - no one knows for sure what really went down unless you were there. :cool:

I just gotta say, imagine if you were the star of a $100 million-dollar movie. The success/failure of such a project - and by extension, your street creds as an actor - falls directly on your shoulders.

And if it did fail, no one’s gonna look at the Australian beta-male character who stole half the show. They’re gonna look at you, the headliner.

Filming scenes cost time & money - and this is magnified for bigger budget movies. There would be protocols in place to prevent people from cutting across the camera once filming begins. For an actor doing an intense scene, someone cutting across a camera and destroying a scene - it would take an effort to go back into the character’s frame of mind that’s just a drag to do. (remember the $100 million that’s hanging over your head?) Sure, everybody’s got a job to do - but the sum of all those efforts is to tell a good story via good production values. And the writers, producers & actors are at the top of that food chain.

PS Did anyone notice he was still in character while he was cussing away? I mean, there was no British accent.

And what a fine one he is! Front page! :smiley:

But now that I think about it, no, Batman isn’t a dick, but does come across as dickish sporadically. Most superheroes have to be at least a little dickish and come with a certain amount of ego.

What? You mean that you have to be a little narcessistic to think only you can save the city to become a superhero? And all that time I thought that Peter Parker was a humble servant of the people…

He is, for the most part. :smiley: But I think he tends to be a bit of a dick when he’s egging on JJ (who also is a bit of dick himself). :smiley:

But it’s not a bad thing. Superheroes need to be dicks sometimes, otherwise they’ll be very boring characters who does everything for good.

heheh…this was just asking for it…
//youtu.be/sE2rGdRUP6w

that voice really sounds like Tobey Maguire!