IRC (realtime chat)

I’m pretty sure this would have been discussed earlier, but the forums won’t let me search on ‘irc’. So anyway…

Having had the chance to participate in my first frak party forums on Friday, I was really frustrated with using a forum to try to have some real-time conversation.

I think Chuck mentioned in a previous podcast (#93?) that IRC was considered but wouldn’t work well because it’s harder for people to join in mid-conversation, without the history such as is found in the forum thread.

I think it should be easy to set up a way so that IRC logs show up in the forums. Hell, could even set it up so that new posts in the forum in the thread would show up in the IRC room as well!

I’d be happy to set all of this up, but I wanted to get your opinions on this first. Perhaps there are other reasons I don’t know of? Does anyone else this might be useful?

real time chat as in during the episode? personally i would not be that into it. too hard to type, read and still watch bsg all at the same time. knowing me i would miss the most significant line of the show being delivered because i was pounding on my backspace key and cursing my typing. but thats just me.

Fair enough, I can relate to that. But the same logic applies to the current forum thread though, no?

Of course, if we do have this set up, nothing saying we couldn’t use it for real time chat between episodes as well… <_<

For live chat during a show I actually prefer the blog comments format. I’d rather refresh at commercial break, catch up and then post.

True on the current thread thing. Personally when I watch… I get myself a fresh drink, turn down the volume on the answering machine, kick my feet up and go into the BSG zone.

Between episodes or even right after an episode sounds cool if enough ppl want to do it.

I like that option as well. I’m too easily distracted, and I would have a hard time watching the episode while chat was continually coming up live on the screen in front of me (yes, I have impulse control issues). And on the blog, we wouldn’t have to keep turning pages, as it were.

I’ve been an IRC bod for a few years now. I retired from all the real-time chat about a year ago, but I think there is something to having a room open 24/7. People can’t, don’t always feel the specifics to reply to a thread and an IRC room can be a very social place to just pop in and out of.

Just have one, for having one. Nothing to loose, and anything overtly interesting can be transcripted and put in a thread anyway.

I’m always a fan of having a social chat room around for anybody who wants to pop in and chatter about some random stuff. I know that sometimes I have some thoughts about BSG and other things that aren’t quite fully developed enough to merit their own thread and it’d be nice to have a place to bounce ideas and info off of some people who are as into BSG as myself

it’s a little hard to figure out, but I think it would be fun to have a alays running irc. I still like talkshoe for live podcasts though, just because its easy to figure out. IRC is easy to use, once you figure it out.

How about just one for the forum?

For all the night owls (ie Night Owl thread) or those who just check in at the forum, but not really post (just read) ? Nothing to lose (like what RGS said), so I’m ok with it.

Would be awesome for the viewings of the show. We could have all said “WHAT THE FRAK” when Tigh shot Adama last week.

Computer and TV are in different rooms and the 'puter is not portable so this wouldn’t work for me any better than the current setup here on GWC forums. Besides I gave up on IRC over 8 years ago when the instant messenger software took off.

Huh. For some reason the forum stopped notifying me of new replies. Well, I registered a new channel on Foonetic (irc.foonetic.net, irc.xkcd.com) - #gwc.

Hopefully, people will stop by :slight_smile: Easiest way to try it out is to go to http://mibbit.com, select foonetic as the server, and #gwc as the channel.

Silly lag.