How do a sequel to The Dark Knight Rises? *spoilers*

I just finished a long blog post on what I would like to see in the next Batman movie and how I think Warner could avoid a hard-reboot of the franchise and bring the Nolan Bat-verse into the larger DC universe. It would require a streamlined multimedia campaign starting with small references in next summer’s “Man of Steel” to Gotham City. You can read my post here if you want but what I’m interested in hearing are other ideas on where a fourth film could go that would help it tie into “Man of Steel”, a Justice League film and other future solo DC superhero films.

Basically (and without giving away too much of “…Rises”), Clark Kent at one point in “Man of Steel” is briefly made aware of Gotham City’s crisis with Bane, prior to his assuming the identity of Superman. In the film to follow TDKR I would present GCPD officer John Blake as a member of a larger conspiracy that requires Bruce Wayne to give-up his retirement as Batman, at which point he and Superman (and whatever other heroes they choose to add to the roster) must take down the larger conspiracy controlled by Lex Luthor. This also leaves a back door through which to introduce Robin or Nightwing or any other sidekicks to Batman as well. So… discuss!

Or Blake (who coincidentally would have a smaller price tag then Bale for a JLA movie)…just simply takes over the Mantle of the Bat, with Bruce Wayne’s blessing…and maybe minor training…insert cameo scene for training, lather, rinse, repeat and BANG…you’re off and running!

Sure, if you want to do it the easy way. :smiley: The problem as I saw it was having John Blake as Batman in a film, since he is not a comic character, is something DC would be resistant to and Warner Bros. probably wouldn’t allow as a result. There’s plenty of time in the next 5 years to make him a comic character though, an option that would satisfy any objection I’ve got. Unfortunately, there’s quite a few vocal troll-nerds (or terds, if you will) that would find every reason and every irrational “but he’s not really Batman” argument to make.

That said, I would be perfectly content with a Blake-Man film. I would love to see the movies do their own thing instead of trying to bring them closer to the comics. I’m just afraid the guys in control wouldn’t allow it.

I’m not trying to toot my own horn or bump my own thread, but it would appear with the recent announcement that Joseph Gordon-Levitt will be Batman in the upcoming Justice League film that Warner Bros. may quite possibly be going one of the routes that I had previously proposed. Obviously someone with more influence and and certainly more important than me had already considered it likely well before I would ever put words to paper. What would be even better would be for WB/DC to take advantage of this expansion of the film universe to do something in the comics to tie in, like perhaps add the film universe to the DC Multiverse as just another possibly reality like they recently did with Batman Beyond. This really opens up the story-telling possibilities as seemingly unrelated media like the “Arrow” TV show or the new Smallville-style take on Wonder Woman could be added to the reality as well. It could even offer writers an opportunity to go “Ultimate Marvel” on the DC Universe in a way that the All-Star line never did. I’m excited!