How about making Birthday Wishes its own forum?

We get a lot of birthday threads, especially since we have so many active members now. Maybe it deserves its own forum.

I second that motion!

I’d like to hear more about this and your thoughts regarding it. Are the birthday wishes crowding out other content? Are they annoying? I am curious as I have had the thot as well but figured that they fit well in “Off Topic/Other”

I find them mildly annoying (it just never ends!) I’d be fine with a separate forum.

The birthday threads don’t annoy me at all, but they’ve taken on a life of their own, with us creating a thread for each member’s birthday. True, some members get more posts to their thread than others, but that may be because the lesser known members’ bday posts get lost in the heavily posted-to off-topic/other forum which is a catch-all forum. Also, lesser-known or newer members aren’t as well-known, so we don’t know what to say other than Happy Birthday (i.e., we don’t go to the special effort of making elaborate graphics for their threads). Especially for the past couple months, Off-topic has probably been the most heavily posted-to forum. (I’d actually be curious to see the statistics on GWC’s forum posting habits.) I digress. It was just a suggestion, based on the fact that the birthday threads have become a fun little “thing” here at GWC and since they are kind of their own category, I thought it might be a good idea to separate them out to “highlight” them. If we don’t create a separate forum for them, I won’t be upset; it was merely a suggestion I wanted to throw “out there.”

I agree with Keara. It would be nice to have them “corralled” in one area and it does seem like they are taking over the off-topic forum. But that could be because a TON of folks have December birthdays! I’m cool with whatever happens.

Oh - maybe we should have a poll. Pike - what’s more annoying - birthday threads or polls? :smiley:

I’ve actually been thinking about that, too. Especially with the holidays in the last few weeks, it seems like some of them are getting lost. I was going to go through and tag them all, but I think I’m the only one who actually uses the tags. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, birthdays do end eventually, but that seems like a fairly harsh way to deal with the issue. :smiley:

Ok, I have an idea how to make this work. Stay tuned.

I agree, they do tend to get crowded out in the Off-Topic thread.

Great idea putting them their own thread in GWC Community! You guys are brainstorming today!

Wow! I finally got the multi-quote thingie down!

Note to self : RDM’s birthday falls on the 5th of July. :smiley:

PS : His hair has another birthday ;p

I also agree with Keara. I love the birthday threads, but think they’d do better in their own spot. Some of us like to wish everyone a happy b-day whenever we can and this would make finding the birthday boys and girls much easier.

The birthday threads are a nice idea, and they are obviously meant with the best of intentions and kindness, but some of us I am sure may not want to be reminded of their birthdays.

And I don’t mean about the getting old thing. I mean, well I am not sure how to say this but. My birthday just reminds me of a sibling that I lost a long time ago; and is because we were born on the exact same day almost 31 years ago now. Anyways I think I have already said too much on this. I just wanted to add that for some of us that day is not a time that we are in celebration. Thanks.

sorry for your loss. in cases such as this, you might want to go to your user CP and edit your profile. your birthday need not appear on the forum calendar

I’m all for the one B-day thread deal…

Thank you for your wishes Lady D. I don’t remove it because if you look there is very little listed about me on the profile.

I also want to apologize if looked like a big party pooper. I know for many the event is a very happy time.

Suggestion fulfilled, thread closed.