Hivemind - you are my only hope (android phone upgrade)

I am on a Verizon plan and its time to upgrade. I am looking at either a Samsung Galaxy S3 or a LG Speptrum 2. I need it to be a global phone because I have to travel to Canada for business. I have an Ipod Classic 80gb, but i am not looking to get a iPhone because I am ok with the android app structure.

Does anyone else have either or these phones? I am looking to make a decision over this weekend (2/16) if at all possible.

I also would be interested in Galaxy S3 thoughts. But I have MONTHS before I can switch phones. :slight_smile:

I will be able to answer your questions now. I just got the galaxy s3 today.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I’ve had my S3 for a month or so. I’m really liking the camera, zero shutter lag and it’ll take a burst of up to 20 shots. Perfect for when you just know someone’s going to do something stupid, but aren’t sure exactly when it’ll happen. It’s pretty quick, I don’t have any lag or hesitation. The battery will last 12-14 hours with light texting, social networking and web browsing, and 9 hours of that is in a low signal environment because I work in a metal building with no access to wifi. It seems to be built pretty solid as far as modern smartphones go.
The only downside I’ve found so far is that the home key turns the screen on after it times out, and I’ve found the key getting pressed in a pants pocket or backpack, and all kinds of weirdness can ensue if stuff is touching the screen in random places while it’s bouncing around. Apps get opened, settings can get changed, and the dreaded butt call can be made. I don’t use any kind of security lock on the phone, so if you use the pattern or passcode unlock feature, it would likely prevent such hijinks. You might also be able to change the home key wake up in settings somehow, but it hasn’t bothered me enough to investigate.
The Google Now feature that comes in the new Jelly Bean builds is pretty awesome, but just a tad creepy once in a while. It reads your Gmail and gives you flight information reminders and shipment tracking info for stuff you order online. Like a really helpful stalker.

Does it have to be those particular phones? I just got myself a Nexus 4, so far I’m very impressed.

I couldn’t find a verizon wireless provider that had the Nexus 4. I picked the S3 today, the too square shape i didn’t like about the Spectrum 2. I have heard too many good things about the S3 so I picked one up at RadioShack for $50 cheaper than at Bestbuy/Costco and $100 less than the Verizon Store.

On a somewhat related note, is there a way to sync up iTunes onto an Android? Or an iTunes-like application I can use to upload music/podcasts/audiobooks onto an Android? I’m about due for a phone upgrade and I figured it would be good if I could combine my phone and mp3 player into a single device.

from the google play store i have gotten Synctunes wireless free to work. At least you can copy over your library. The paid version does a little more. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mahmed.net.synctuneswirelessfree. I don’t know if there is a direct itunes clone for android yet.

If you are migrating away from Apple to Google, you may want to consider ditching iTunes. I’ve never done it myself because I never used iTunes, but I know people who have and they all say it was a huge pain that was hugely worth it. :slight_smile:

What about purchased media from Itunes, what do they say about that?

I’m going from an iPod Nano and a regular cell phone to a smart phone.

I suggest either the Galexy S3 or the Razor Maxx HD. Keep in mind that you can upload your itunes songs to google play.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

That’s part of it being a huge pain. The best thing to do is to burn CDs (CDRW if possible, so you can reuse the same one over and over) and then rip them as MP3.

Ideally, though, just never buy from iTunes and you won’t have that problem :wink:

I just tried this with my galaxy s3, so I can use my phone to answer forum posts. Coolness!