History Channel's Vikings Premiering March 3rd, 2013

For all of those out there that liked How To Train Your Dragon, Lord Of The Rings, and Game Of Thrones there’s a new series out there for you. The History Channel will premiere it’s Vikings series on Sunday March 3rd, 2013 10PM Eatern/9 PM Central time. Are you going to watch the series? If you did what do you think about it? Want to say something about the series? - Post it here! I’ll be watching tonight. This looks good!

I’m sold. Incredible series. I’ll be looking forward to this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s on the DVR, waiting for me. The reviews I read said it’s not great, BUT the first three episodes of Spartacus were nothing remarkable. I’ll definitely give this one a chance. I’ll be back here after I watch it.

I have not seen Spartacus so I’ll be interested in your take. I realize Vikings is no Game Of Thrones but I think it’s pretty good in comparison for cable TV versus pay-premium-cable channels.

… In the meantime, if you want to get your Viking-fix right now, I strongly recommend everyone listen to Dan Carlin’s epic podcast-that’s-so-long-that-it’s-technically-an-audiobook Thor’s Angels

Be warned : it’s 4 hr 06 mins long and all of 236 megabytes!

PS The above-mentioned podcast, “Thor’s Angels”, is available via iTunes in Dan Carlin’s podcast show, “Hardcore History”.

He has another podcast show about current American politics, “Common Sense”, also available via iTunes. The dude is a media veteran who cut his teeth as a radio DJ during the Clinton era.

I’m catching up via on-demand. It gets better every episode… except for Gabriel Byrne’s Earl, who is a no-good prick who is a no-good prick. I’m on episode 5, “Raid,” now. It has a hook in me, and I’m hoping to finish the rest of the episodes this weekend.

This is a surprisingly good series! I’m amazing at the in-depth story. It’s not just a History Channel period piece, there’s plot and intrigue and even a little booooobs!

P.S. - The Shield Maidens are amazing!

Lagertha really IS a sheildmaiden! Interview with Mrs. Lothbrok:

http://www.hitfix.com/the-fien-print/interview-katheryn-winnick-discusses-her-vikings-shield-maiden

Season 1 Finale Spoilers:

I can accept the sudden right turns in the plot.

I think the brother rivalry has been pretty clunky. They defused it with the old earl, only to immediately revive it.

I don’t like Ragnar’s turn toward a Tony Soprano type who’s out to get everything he can lay his hands on. But it makes sense for the character. Ambitious is one thing, but greedy is another.

Can’t wait for season 2.

It seems the theme of the episode was that all loyalties are out the window. Loyalty to Wife, Loyalty to Brother, Loyalty to your King, etc… It was a bit much for such a loyal culture as The Vikings.

I don’t know if I’ll continue to watch season 2 because of it.

Yeah, it’s tough, because Lagertha and the son are the only ones to root for at this point… beyond the appeal of raw ass-kicking, of course.

The family issue, viewed through the prism of Viking values, is thornier. Did you read this interview with mainmain Michael Hirst? On Ragnar’s love life, he says, “He had two wives – he was conservative by Viking standards.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/28/vikings-season-finale-season-2-all-change_n_3175975.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

Still, it makes me like Ragnar less. I’d rather hang out with Jax from Sons of Anarchy.

Hi all, just watched episode 108 today.

I remember a cast interview where Hirst was very specific (and rightly so) that we shouldn’t view history from a modern Judaeo-Christian filter, with the benefit of retrospect. That Thor & Odin was very real to them as much as the God(s) of modern religions now. The Asatru religion pretty much informed Viking behaviour and how their society was organised (as depicted in season 1).

This is my speculation, but my instinct would be that season 2 would be Rollo-centric and cover the story of how he became the 1st Duke of Normandy and an Earl(Jarl) in his own right.

The story legs and plot symmetry from season 1 point to this direction, IMHO. Ragnar’s death would be early in season 2, while Ragnar’s sons leading the Great Heathen Army to avenge him would be close to the end season. This episode would be named “Blood Eagle”. Trust me on this.

There are other story arcs to cover if Vikings go into season 3 (again, these are all my speculation) :

• the emerging Norman dukedom finally achieving what Ragnar couldn’t. Rollo’s/Rolf’s grandson, Duke Vilhajm the bastard would be henceforth better known as King William the Conqueror. Some drama could be played about the guy’s insecurities and how they kinda mirror Rollo’s. (Also, how he skinned alive that one guy who called him that to his face.)

At this point, William’s posse sets up Earldoms and Norman-style castles (with moats) in order to put England into lockdown.

• the establishment of the free state of Iceland (as in, no King) & the republic’s relationship to the Scandinavian dynasties. This would juxtapose nicely with the Vikings and their treatment of slaves.

• the Vikings’ expansion eastward would cover the history of the Rus and Kiev, and how the Vikings travel all the way to Constantinople. Attila the Hun could make a cameo. Or maybe Ibn Fadlan (Antonio Banderas’ character of 13th warrior fame).

• the religion subplot plays an important aspect of character motivation. A backstory would cover how Charlmange’s Christian Empire effectively put up a trade embargo against pagan lands, which prompted the Vikings to raid to begin with. This subplot would conclude with the eventual conversion of Scandinavia and the sense of cultural loss that follows. I reckon the show (and the Viking age) would end here.

Does anyone else think the deformed-looking priest looks like the one from 300?

Well, whaddaya know : Episode 2.07 is titled “Blood Eagle”.