Hemlock Grove -- Netflix Original

Hello all,

anybody else watching this? We’re two episodes in and it seems interesting. More “Twin Peaks” than “Twilight” so far. Other than heavy use of filters by the editor, it seems worthwhile … so far.

//youtu.be/GvlFJmh6ktU

OB

P.S. It is a bit odd with the whole series available from the “get go”. If we wanted we could snarf through the whole series in a couple days. Different dynamic than broadcast spoon fed.

didn’t realise they’d released it, I shall add it to the 20 or so other programmes I watch.

On a personal note if it’s anywhere near as good as house of cards then I may have to cease all other activity, I burned through that puppy in four days…

Alan

I’ll give it try.
Werewolves
Kamala is still striking.

DAMN! That’s good stuff :slight_smile:

We snarfed thru first 3 episodes of HoC last night. We stayed up way past our bed time but DAMN! … that’s good stuff.

//youtu.be/ULwUzF1q5w4

OB

We watched the first 4 eps of House of Cards and liked it but couldn’t stop being Those D.C. Jerks and critiquing it. I do have it in queue for my next round of sickbed duty, though.

Well … snarfed up 2 more episodes last night. Really great stuff. Very Shakespearean in it’s structure. Not as blatant as “Sons of Anarchy” but fun. Wife called it a “Sopranos” and “West Wing” mash up. Again only critique is the “wash filter effect” that so many recent TV programs seem to do in the editing bays. I noticed it a lot on “Homeland”, but after a couple episodes it’s over looked due to the awesome stories :slight_smile: I’ll have to ask a film/video editor or perhaps DP why this seems so prevalent nowadays … /shrug

OB

P.S. “DC Jerks” would be good barbershop quartet name :slight_smile:

can I get some Kudos for TOTALLY derailing this thread after only 3 posts?
Phaze
on the “I am the spanner in the works, the fly in the ointment, the umbrella in the FREAKIN BICYCLE SPOKES” id

Yes we’ll return to the “blood thirsty splatter-fest” of Hemlock Grove PA. Just kind of busy with the “blood thirsty splatter-fest” of Washington DC :slight_smile:

//youtu.be/siobRAjefAs

Double KUDO points for partial “Die Hard” Reference … Hans.

OB

Seen 4 episodes so far… It seems promising, it is holding my interest far better than Wolf Lake ever did.

Chief and Dualla sez Hemlock Grove is a “ground floor” show that can be more freely serialized than Battlestar could be. No recaps, no bottle shows, etc.

spinoff.comicbookresources: Battlestar Galactica’s Douglas and McClure Talk Sci-Fi, Hemlock Grove

It’s good to see Mark Verheiden blogging again about a show: verheiden.blogspot.com. He’s become addicted to reading twitter comments (the #hemlockgrove ones anyway). After you watch the whole thing, tell him what you think. He’ll probably read it.

It’s a huge shift coming off House of Cards and trying to get into Hemlock Grove, when you just want more Kevin Spacey doing the best work he’s done in at least ten years. And, whenever I hear “Hemlock Grove,” I think “Slaughtered Lamb” the pub in American Werewolf in London. That was very tongue in cheek but HG is trying to be serious (in that stuffy network horror series way) with its name. I’ve only watched the first episode, but I thought Famke Janssen was struggling to find her pace, which for the first episode turns out to be overacting. She was excellent in Turn the River. X-Men aside, I’ve been waiting for her to find a smash hit role ever since.

A small, but inspiringly weird, contingent of Battlestar fandom spent way too much time discussing if the Nephilim were somehow behind events in re-imagined Battlestar’s story. I wonder if they are all watching Hemlock Grove where it seems the inscrutable and untranslatable Ones appear to be the main cast.

thanks Th! … Signal to Noise ratio on your post was Ultra-High :slight_smile:

We’ve finished HoC and it was as tasty as “Freddy’s Ribs”.

Back to Hemlock Grove. I was pleasantly surprises to see Lili Taylor as well. Always good to see a “SAY ANYTHING” alum making the art.

OB