Help identify an old game, please?

So, in the midst of the summer steam sales, I find myself thinking of really old point and click type adventure games that I played decades ago, and there’s one I’m completely stumped as to what the name of it is.

Here’s what I can remember of the game:

Time: I want to say it came out probably around when Gabriel Knight (the first one) came out, most likely before rather than after. So, probably 1989-93 ish?

Looks: I think it’s one of those games that attempt to look realistic (as much as early 90s game could anyway), definitely not cartoony. It’s a first person POV I think.

Story: Heh. Well…I don’t remember much, but I know it starts out with some kind of a shipwreck, and you’re - I want to say the character you play is female - somehow locked in the ship basement (or whatever it’s called in nautical terms), so the first thing you do is try and find a way out. Then you end up on an island - sinister, of course - where you explore and presumably find out its history and secret and whatnot. I also seem to remember an instance where you plug up some holes in a boat with some corks you find along the way to get to the next area.

And that’s all I know. Got any ideas? It’s bugging the heck out of me.

ETA: Oh wait! I think the screwy thing with the island is that it’s stuck in the past …or something to that effect.

I have no idea what your game is, but with your permission I will ask on a more video-game specific board for you and relay the answer back here.

Please do, thank you!

Maupiti Island?

I’ve played this and cannot for the life of me remember what the heck it is. If it was an adventure game before 1995 I probably played it. Even all the Hugo’s House of Horrors titles, and those were brutally awful looking, and unforgiving in design.

Just checked it out, I don’t think it’s the game. But thanks for thinking! :smiley: IIRC, there’s no real HUD for the game, and you only have an inventory. So you sort of just click on stuff and the sides of the screen to go to the next area. And there might be a larger map too, once you have more areas explored, I think.

Oh good, so I didn’t just conjure this out of my imagination. It exists! :smiley: As for the year, I want to say it’s before 1995, based on the graphics and point and click style, but I can’t be too sure since it was a part of a batch of second hand games I got. They definitely weren’t new by the time I played them, probably around mid 90s.

I would say this game probably looks more like Maupiti Island rather than HHoH. Oh, more things I sorta remember: I think the character is definitely a woman/girl. There are these moments where when you click on an object, the game goes from first person to this temporary little video bit (sort of like really poor real life video) where you see your character pick it up, and I think she has heels on. And she has painted nails.

I got a hit!

Would it happen to be Lost in Time?

hmm… could it be Myst?

This sure sounds like Myst.

Lost in Time sounds closer to me. There is no patching up of ships in Myst and you don’t use them for transportation. That said, several of the Myst titles are on sale and I highly recommend them.

//youtu.be/HQ92jySLBSg

I heart you.
Yeah, that’s totally it! Lost in Time!! THANK YOU!

And look at that totally original tagline. But honestly, fun fun game. When you think about it, isn’t it pretty cool that this game’s main character and cover art is not only a woman, but a woman who’s not white AND has a normally shaped body (all right, she’s still cute and hot, but at least she actually look like a regular person and not boobs galore), all the way back in 1993?

Damn it, is that why this game didn’t have any sequels? /itsaconspiracy

re: myst

Yeah, not that one. It was something much more obscure.