Hayao Miyazaki: iPad is disgusting

Hayao Miyazaki is considered to be one of the greatest in his industry. This famed manga artist, film director, and animator has numerous classics under his belt, a list that includes Lupin III, Princess Mononoke, and the 1988 masterpiece, My Neighbor Totoro. If any of those things are a sign of his credibility, then you might want to listen to him when he says the iPad is “disgusting.”

Hayao Miyazaki: iPad is disgusting

Jeebus. And I thought my lawn was inviolate…

This made me laugh. It doesn’t diminish my respect for him and the art he’s created, but I am putting him down in the old fogey book.

I had no idea he was such a ‘Luddite’…

After reading that I find it amazing he even allowed computers to be used when making ‘Princess Mononoke’ and ‘Spirited Away’.:eek: (His son must have sold him on the idea.)

But that’s Miyazaki’s thing! He has always seriously limited the use of CGI in his films and emphasized rich hand-drawn work because he thinks it’s superior. He also thinks that audiences engage more deeply in a movie when they are reacting to a human touch in the art.

Given his belief that audience engagement is really important, I’m not surprised that he’s anti-iPad. Kind of surprised that he went so far as “disgusting,” though.

“It’s disgusting. On trains, the number of those people doing that strange masturbation-like gesture is multiplying.”

Wow. If he thinks it looks like masturbation, that’s on him not other ppl. d:

I still love the old fogey though.

I can understand that actually. When I see smooth hand drawn animation, I’m prolly more impressed than seeing CGI eye candy. I’m like, “Wow, that must have taken a lot of work” as opposed to “Wow, that looks cool.”

Unfortunately for Ghibli/Miyazaki, many scenes that I attribute to CGI are probably hand drawn because it looks that good/well animated. Then, again maybe there’s something going on on a subconscious level.

I think its pretty foolish to imply that CGI doesn’t take a lot of work.

no doubt the man is a genius, but to imply that something is wrong with using technology is pretty ignorant. its hard to respect someone who views anything they don’t understand as wrong. he didn’t give any reason why the ipad is bad, he just spewed ignorance.