Harry Potter: DH to be 3D

Link

“Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” parts one and two will be the first in the long-running series based on J.K. Rowling’s books to be shown entirely in 3-D. The two movies, which hit theaters on November 19, 2010 and July 15, 2011, respectively, were shot using traditional cameras; the finished films will be converted to the increasingly popular format during the post-production process.

“Potter” producer David Heyman is very excited about the possibilities offered by 3-D. The decision to use the format for “Deathly Hallows” grew out of a number of factors. “I think that it emerged organically,” he said in an exclusive interview with MTV’s Eric Ditzian. “Clearly, the success of 3-D movies has had an impact on the economy and making of films. We saw an opportunity and grabbed it. Also, ‘Harry Potter’ itself has so many exciting possibilities for 3-D, both in things coming at you and also just in making that world seem even more epic than it already is.”

[snippage]

Heyman expects to begin getting to the conversion “very soon,” but there are still details left to be worked out. Of the epilogue, he only said that the team hasn’t “had those discussions yet.” There’s opportunity for the future though; six “Potter” films were released before “Deathly Hallows,” and all of them have that epic scale which might made a 3-D conversion worthwhile.

“Those discussions haven’t yet happened, but I’m sure it’s just a matter of time,” Heyman said in reference to converting older “Potter” flicks. Then he hedged. “You know what? I actually shouldn’t say that. Who knows? It would be great. You can never tell. I hope so.”

Translation: 3D makes money. We want more money!

I think I’ll just catch the 2D version in theaters.

Organic? Yea, right. It would be cool if it was native 3D but this up-conversion business is just sloppy.

I’ll see the 2D versions of the films. Conversions to 3D are just craaaap!

Will not be watching the 3Dized version. 3D retrofitting should be banned - either shoot the damn thing in 3D or don’t.

I look at 3D retro-fitting, the same way I looked at colorization a few years back.
It’s not good enough for me to want it. Please stop.

2D for me for any movie not shot in native 3D…

Hear, hear.

They are already shooting the epilogue for DH, here are some leaked photos…

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/05/25/first-look-harry-potter-and-the-deathly-hallows-epilogue/

Studios are not going to stop with this 3-D retrofitting nonsense, as long as people are buying tickets for it. It’s really too bad, because there’s a lot of good that can come with this new technology, but the good stuff will most likely be hard to find in all the crap.

All we can do right now, is wait for people to realize they’re being scammed, and stop going to the 3-D (3-D lite as I call it) versions of these films. Right now, what Avatar made into a viable draw for movie theaters, has turned into an obnoxious fad, and it has to stop.

I think viewers are much smarter than the studios give them credit for, and theater-goers are going to vote with their wallets. When the studios see that ticket buyers are going to 2D screens instead of 3D when the movie has been ‘retrofitted’ for 3D at the last minute. They will ‘stop the madness’.

3D is great when the movie has been planned that way from the start, then it is is no longer a gimmick. Like SMELLAVISION, or SENSOROUND. Or those buzzers in the seats, or the feelers that tickled your legs when the bugs came on screen.

Though I really did enjoy the ‘D BOX’ seats when I saw HP and the Half Blood Prince. I felt like I was in a flight simulator during flying scenes.