Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - movie (spoilers)

This thread is to discuss the film HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE.

Spoilers ahead

So, spouse and I just got back from the movie. I don’t know about the rest of you, but in terms of what the local theater does for a movie, HP was the biggest one of the summer here. 6 screens (all of them, actually) and a long, snaking line to get into the theater. We got there about 10:20 and didn’t get into the theater itself until 11:40. Oh, and being in our mid-twenties we were 5-10 years older than most everyone there. Secret Message to Teenagers at Harry Potter movie: your cruel remarks about other people’s costumes are really unnecessary, and padding the line with your friends just makes everyone else around you angry.

There were Interminable (yes, the capital letter is appropriate) previews.

To the movie itself:

I just finished re-reading HBP a few days ago, and this movie really departs from the book a lot - in so many ways that I started losing track after awhile, and once I stopped thinking about the book, the movie was more enjoyable. I think it holds together, though I am curious as to how certain choices they made will relate to what can be done in DH parts 1 and 2. It was a very funny which was a bit unexpected. Also, until we get Slughorn’s unmodified memory I felt like I was watching a teenage soap opera - some of the relationship stuff was cute but ultimately it wasn’t what I cared about as much as the memories of Tom Riddle/Voldemort - very little of which was actually included. We only get two memories: 1) Dumbledore going to meet Riddle at the orphanage and 2) Slughorn talking to Riddle about horcruxes. The one thing that bothered me about the movie (the differences movie/book aren’t a bother, they just are for me) was that I think it represents Dumbledore as not really knowing what’s going on, and I don’t think it fits the character very well. I always thought Dumbledore had a hypothesis about the horcruxes, and the memories were the evidence he needed to confirm his hypothesis. In the movie, however, we have scenes where it’s obvious he knew what was going on (with Snape, with the diary and ring, etc) yet we have his ridiculous reaction to Slughorn’s memory. (I’m really wish they had kept the memories of the woman who had Helga Hufflepuff’s cup, that would have been marvelous to see.)

Also, motives are much more transparent here than in the books (sorry, but the books are my point of comparison). Snape is very sympathetic, and we know from the start what Draco is doing in the room of Requirement. It takes away a bit of the mystery, but really I think it works.

Slughorn’s character is fabulous, not what I expected but it works very well.

Questions I have after having seen the movie:

1. Why did Bellatrix (and the man with her - ??) burn down the Burrow, beyond malice? What story purpose does it serve?
  2. Did Lavender ever get introduced, or are we supposed to just know who she is?
  3. Did Hagrid’s presence seem like an afterthought? (I think yes, but wonder)

I’m sure I’ll think of more… but I think I’ve said more than enough for now. :slight_smile:

not seeing it until friday (which is actually weeks before I thought I’d get the chance) but I wanted to know what components of the book’s end actually make it on-screen. it’s killing me and i’d rather not be disappointed by what’s not there and instead go in knowing what to expect on that front.

For the most part, I think there were more super condensing of things that happen in the book as supposed to straight out cutting parts out. The components might not be there, but there’d be something in the background, or a comment someone makes that would refer to them.
Except for the funeral scene, which indeed was cut off completely, replaced with a scene with Harry with Mcgonagall instead.

spoilers Don’t read until you’ve watched it.

I did manage to successfully leave work early (and convinced a friend to do the same!) to catch the 5pm show (Thankfully, because all the tickets were sold out for the ones after that), so let me post a review as well.

I thought to reread the book again prior to the movie, but decided against it, after the last HP movie. And I’m a bit thankful for that. Having not read the book recently, I think overall they did a good job of including the more important storylines in the movie, though similar to OotP, I felt it lacked a lot of the emotional weight behind the actions of the characters. But as a movie, I think they did all right. Not great, but not as bad as OotP (which was my least favourite movie). But it doesn’t really matter, because, who wouldn’t watch this movie? :smiley:

Anyway, good things:-
-The scene in the cave with Dumbledore and Harry looked fantastic. I have to admit to being completely startled when that water monster thing (can’t recall the name) grabbed Harry - I even spilled my drink a little I enjoyed the humor that was Dumbledore parting his flames like Moses. This was probably my favourite scene of the movie.

• DRACO! I was really impressed with the actor portraying him. I don’t think I felt as much for Draco reading the book as I did watching that last scene. Anyway, he’s awesome. I love Draco now. :smiley:
  • Broadbent was pretty perfect as Slughorn, though I wished there were more scenes of his Potions class and his Slug Club stuff.
  • I really enjoyed the sweeping scenes of Hogwarts throughout the movie, and the music also quite succinctly set the mood of book 6.
  • It was nice to see a little bit of Quidditch again, a game that I think the movie does a great job of portraying (maybe even moreso than the books). But, I do wonder why the girls on the team NEVER tie their hair up. How can they see while they’re flying with hair all over their faces? :smiley:
  • I laughed and laughed at Ron’s “Pie?”.
  • I wish we got to see more of Fred and George’s store, but at least, we see them!
  • For the most part, all the actors in the movie was great, and I enjoyed every minute of them on the screen.

Things I didn’t enjoy as much:-

• I kind of hated how they’ve dealt with all the love stuff. Maybe it’s just me, but I kind of cringed whenever there’s a scene with Harry and Ginny in it. (And I LOVE Ginny! She’s awesome!) I hate to say this, but anytime they had scenes together (most notably in the Room of Requirement and at the Weasleys - actually that entire scene), I keep thinking why they’re wasting time on it instead of including something else in the book. Basically it all just seemed way too heavy handed, and I don’t think it was necessary at all. At least with Ron and Hermione, they were the comic relief of the movie. And they were pretty great at that.
  • But, I wish Ron and Hermione had more to do than the above. It would have been nice to see the three of them be more together in discussions and whatnots. I can’t remember if it was this way in the book, but there were many scenes (including that last one) that featured heavily Hermione and Harry, with Ron either not there, or in the background not talking! What’s that all about? Did the actor piss off the director or something? :smiley:
  • I found the fiilm to be somewhat choppy at times, and there’s one thing I really didn’t like: There were a couple of scenes where Harry finds something out that’s pretty big, but then the scene would cut to Harry on the train, telling Ron and Hermione what he found out… like after several days/weeks! …instead of right after when he sees them. I really hate this sitcom device, and I definitely recall them using it a few times here. I think this annoyed me the most.
  • I totally agree that Dumbledore’s intuition on the hocruxes wasn’t portrayed in the movie at all. And I agree what you said about Hagrid as well. It was rather random, but I think has a lot to do with the choppiness of the film.
  • Perhaps I’m biased, but I wish we could have seen Snape a bit more - like, teaching DADA, or belittling Harry and gang, or something. While I loved pretty much all of the scenes with Snape (with the unbreakable vow, the end when he ‘kills’ Dumbledore, him at the Slub Club party), I think I needed more Snape time, if only to feel more of the weight at the end when he ‘returns’ to the Dark Lord. In the movie, it was sort of like, oh, ok, Snape killed Dumbledore, whatever.
  • I don’t understand why the last scene wasn’t in Dumbledore’s office (especially since they did have that set! Why didn’t they do it there?) , and I can understand why they didn’t include the battle in this movie (so it won’t be repetitive later), but it was just weird, what with all the time Draco spent reparing the closet and then to have all the Death Eaters come into Hogwarts, ready to kill! …and then they did bascially nothing. I did miss this battle scene.

Whew. I’m tired from typing. Anyway.

I liked the movie, it was good. It could have bee much better though. This was really the first time I felt the “lack” of what was left out. I do understand that it gets harder and harder to put stuff in with the books being so big and the storylines so varied.

I felt rather bad for Tom Felton who plays Draco. He had what - 5 lines? He got to show up every day and emote . It did get across the very angst filled time he was having and all that. I just wish we could have seen more of that storyline, it is such a rich one. That could have been an entire movie unto itself.

The romance - I can sort of understand why they did it Both romances are important to the overall storyline and I can see the director treading a fine line between showing/explaining the dynamic to viewers who hadn’t read the books (silly people) and what is arguably the target audience of tweens. While we adults don’t need it or see it as being that important the younger viewers get really caught up in the sigh romance of it all. Come on, remember back to when you were 12 or so, you can do it.
Having played devils advocate I can say I could happily have done without the Lav Lav nonsense. But then again that and the need to at least mention that other girl (aging mind has already forgotten her name) to set up the scene with the doped up chocolates and going to Slughorn’s room for the cure.

I did like the scene in the cave. I did jump when the thing reached out of the water to grab Harry - even knowing it was coming I jumped. I must confess to a bit of crossover geekdom. When Dumbledore was swirling the fire and all I had the phrase “None Shall Pass” flying around in my head :smiley:

I liked the movie overall. It was doomed to not be perfect but I liked it and I will happily buy it and watch it more when it comes out on dvd.

Not sure when I’ll get to see it. I’m not particulary worried about spoilers, I’m well versed in the plot.

There’s no chance that Snape said:
“Alas, your Professor Dumbledore did not see it that way… so he won’t be joining us for the rest of his life” is there? :smiley:

I thought it was visually my favorite part - Dumbledore’s awesome. But we all knew that. I also thought it was an interesting call back to Bellatrix’s burning of the Burrow. The visual effects people must like doing fire :wink:

me too! I always thought Draco was generally sleazy, but now I really sympathize with the Malfoys (who would have thought that?) and I finally understand why some people think he’s attractive. The shorter hair’s a plus.

I also wish we had seen more of the classroom time - this is their last year at Hogwarts, so we won’t have the chance to see that again. :frowning:

I felt like the dynamics there were just kind of odd. Ron was… around to be with the different girls. Otherwise he just kind of removed from everything.

I wonder what they cut to make it that choppy, because it didn’t feel natural at all - to me it was like they had another scene that tied things together or something, but it wasn’t actually there. But I agree on the “sharing things with Ron and Hermione” device.

To those reading who haven’t seen it yet, despite my complaints I still liked the movie a lot, it was fun and I’m glad I saw it. We might even see it more than once (the only film to get that treatment from us so far this summer is Star Trek).

tI’ve thought about it some more and I can now pin down my feelings about the movie. This movie clearly feels like a hammock. It is solidly the bit between two other parts not really a stand alone. That really explains all my dissatisfaction.

Yeah he is!

I didn’t even think of that! Now I’m really upset about that!

I enjoyed the movie too - for all its faults with the choppiness and the lack of a more in depth analyzing of Voldemort, it was still a beautiful movie - but I probably wouldn’t watch it again. Now, Star Trek, if it’s still in a cinema around here, I totally would watch that again. :smiley:

I think this has to do with taking the battle scenes out. Kind of made the end bit pretty anti-climatic - wathcing Death Eaters enter Hogwarts to … break some china isn’t exactly epic.

Richard Metzger REALLY didn’t like it.

just came back from seeing it

i really really liked it

to me, both the book and the movie were an emotional and intellectual set-up for the Deathly Hallows. And in that, it succeeded.

All the teenage characters needed to grow up to be ready for what is coming…and now they are.

and yes…they needed to learn to deal with matters of the hearts as well. They cant be just emotionless soldiers, fighting like robots. they needed to experience love and loss, because that will help them so much in the war to come.

Now, some will complain that it was too soapy…to teenage angsty…but…well…THEY are teenagers. I am a bit puzzled by the fact some seem to miss that point.

a bit sad that we did not see more of voldemort’s background…but truth be told…most was not completly necessary to the story. What they showed was what was important.

Well…that is how i felt…it was funny…romantic…dark…suspenseful…and so sad

Now…bring on the war!!

Bravo, sir!

I like HP. My wife, though is a HUGE fan. We saw the midnight screening and well, I thought it was fun (I have not read the book since it came out), but the more I thought about the movie the more disapointed I became. MY wife on the other hand was PISSED. She did not smile or laugh once during this movie. When you adapt a film some things are going to be left out obviously, but they made huge changes to the plot that served only to detract from the story. Why was there a battle in a swamp? Was it so Fenrir could growl from the reeds? Why did Death eaters blow up the Burrow? Heck, how did the Death Eaters even find it? It was protected with a fidelus charm. It was not possible to find it as long as Dumbeldor was alive. The worst part was the end. Where was the 1st Battle of Hogwarts? Instead of an awsome battle with aurors and death eaters you get Bellatrix kicking some plates and breaking a window. I know the filmaker has to take some creative license but come on, this was rediculous. Ther were some good moments in the film for me. I enjoyed Malfoy’s portrayal and the cave was well done but the movie as a whole departed from the book way to much. My wife told me that for the first time ever she did not care about what would happen to Harry. To sum up this post, they Starship Troopered this movie. Great book, awful movie.

I have an imperfect explanation. While it is impossible to find the burrow due to the charm it is possible to follow people - almost there. You can then get a vague idea of where it is without actually pinning it down. Remeber back to OOTP people were prowling around the Black house because they knew the vague area but not the exact location. That is why they all had to be careful not to be seen entering or leaving. I think the fire thing by Bellatrix was a ruse - she didn’t know the exact location but had an idea. Her plan was to do it and see if someone took the bait- which Harry Conveniently did. His leaving the protected area of the burrow revealed its location. Not perfect but could explain it mostly.

I really enjoyed this movie. I think it is my favorite so far but some of that is because we are finally getting to the heart of the story. It’s hard to say it’s the best because without the others you would have no idea what is happening.

Some things are better being compressed, like all the relationship stuff (Ron and Hermione, Harry and Ginny) and others suffer. IMO - The last 10 chapters of the book have most of the really interesting scenes and story. I am not happy that they chopped up the end (It makes no sense to show Draco working on the cabinet with the intention to bring Death Eaters into the school if they don’t do anything when they get there) but it is much better than OotP. This is the first movie where they know the end and it shows. It is more like the first act of these last three movies. They expanded on some stuff now so they don’t have to spend time in this movie and may be holding off on other stuff to show later on. I hope they find a way to incorporate any of the story that they missed or didn’t fully develop in earlier movies into DH.

Even though the Quidditch story was for not, it was funny and they finally made it look good!

While I would have preferred less romantic comedy in this movie I understand why it is there, without it the movie would have become too dark and imposing for the younger viewers.

But as to why the ending was so anticlimactic I am not sure… It could be the producers thought the movie was becoming too long, or that they did not want anything in this movie to overshadow the upcoming magic battles in the next installment.

My only real complaint is: NOT ENOUGH TONKS! And why did they take away her wonderful hair??? Please come out with a longer DVD version with more magic mayhem and TONKS. Take a page from Peter Jackson will you?..please.

I loved the movie. As a HP fan of 9 years- books and film- I thought this was the best movie adaptation thus far. The attention paid to the love triangle between Ron, Hermione and Lavender was a brilliant set up for a few things in Deathly Hallows:
-The rage that Hernione feels for Ron half-way though the book
-Ron’s hidden jealousy and thoughts about the Harry/Hermione frienship
-The deepening of the Harry/Hermione friendship- especially highlighted when they’re in Godric’s Hollow
-The DH kiss
Everything worked well for me except
1- they left out Harry and Dumbledore’s suspicions regarding the the identities of the Horcruxes
2- the Death eaters should have been more menacing and should have attacked more that an Auror or two on their run through the school.
3- I wanted some type of funeral scene for Dumbledore. I know without Scrimgeour they couldn’t really pull it off but they could have come up with a way to have something that honors Dumbledore fittingly.

Question: Do you think that Daniel Radcliffe has more chemistry with Emma Watson than with Bonnie Wright?

I’m with you on the why on the whole burrow bit - but I didn’t think they put a Fidelius charm on it until DH (once everyone knew Ron was with Harry)? I know it was protected before then but I don’t remember that particular charm being mentioned until then.

and to be honest…since they did not mentioned it in the movies…they might not have been protected that way…we must not assume that all that happens in the book apply to the movie

Honestly, I think Dan has more chemistry with Rupert, not to mention that Felix guy. :wink:

wow i am shocked at seeing peoples reaction to this movie. I actually thot it was by far the best HP movie. I think most of the cuts (with the exception of the final battle) were in the book C plots. Having started to reread the book before i went in (not quite finished) i realize that there are really two A plots in the book 1 is Dumbledore showing Harry the memories and Harry trying to get Slughhorns proper memory. The other is Harry’s suspicion of Draco.

The first A story i think was properly compressed in the film. In the book you have two memories of Voldemort killing people and framing others. But those are really rather redundant seeing as we know he kills people and is a bad person. Those are both setups to showing that he is killing to make the Horcrux which we discover in Slughorns revealed memory…or rather we can infer that he will go on to kill people.

The second A story line this time is shown more from Draco’s perspective which i think was really well done. The book also gets incredibly repetitive with Harry constantly accusing Malfoy and nobody believing him. The cut it down to a few scenes here and it does exactly the same thing. They still show Harrys mistrust but its mostly done silently rather than thru exposition.

As for the romance story line. Which is the B story line in the book. Well it was a HUGE B storyline in the book. More of an A- story line. There is no way they could have cut that back. I plan to call this in but i think this is the first time i saw all three kids be true friends to each other. I think the scene that best shows this is when they are walking back from Hogsmead and Hermonie comes up (a little drunk i believe) and puts her arms around they boys and walks with them. It was very subtle but for me very effective.

The things that were cut were really C story lines. They are awesome in the book but by this point adding them to the movies would only confuse people. They have have not been in the movies yet so you cant really add them in now. As much as i love Dobby and Kretcher they were not necessary for the story. Bill and Phlem (Fleur) pending nuptial are not necessary n the movie. We have not met Bill and Phlem was barely in Goblet of Fire as it was. Also as much as we love Tonks in the movie she has barely been present and never has been really. Adding her in now would only confuse people and add to an already complicated story line. As for seeing more class scenes again we have seen so many of those in the past it just gets repetitive. We don’t need to see Snape yell at Harry or say mean things we know that he dislikes the kid.

My only gripes are the cutting of the final fight and the addition of the attack on the Burrow. I can understand the removal of the final fight. It would be awesome to see done but the movie makers want the big Battle of Hogwarts to be Epic. If they kept one in here people would look back on this one and it would be lessened. It also serves no real purpose as its more or less a redo of the battle in the ministry from OotP. I dont know why they added the attack on the Burrow…that confounds me but didn’t ruin it for me.

But perhaps the one thing i love best was the directing in this. Yates reigned in Emma Watson who i think normally way over acts. Hermione was much more believable. He also made me finally like Gambdon as Dumbledore. I think this also was in part on having Kloves write the screenplay this time. Previous Gambdon Dumbledores were angry angry men. This one was much more fun and whimsical like Dumbledore was supposed to be…even in grave times. Also Yates brought in some beautiful sweeping shots.

I really really loved this movie. I was weary of seeing it and was prepared for it to be disappointing but it really went the other way and i was pumped when i left. Those are my 4 and a half cents anway.

Ok one thing i left off that the film makers cut that i wanted they shouldn’t have was Dumbledores funeral. But I do have a theory on that. I think that just maybe they will have it at the beginning of the next movie. They may even replace the wedding with the funeral and have the attack come at the funeral which might be a little more effective. Kinda like rubbing salt into wounds. They may do both but i still think it might open with a funeral. Kinda like they stuck Fudge being sacked into the end of OotP in a headline of the Newspaper.