Hard drive retrieval: SpinRite, Mac Store, or Geek Squad?

So it looks like my 2004 iMac hard drive is dead. (Yes, I’m totally guilty of not having a proper backup service/protocol.) I haven’t backed it up recently.

I’m going to try putting it the freezer for 20 minutes, then seeing if it’ll boot up long enough to copy some data back.

If that doesn’t work, it’s been recommended that I try SpinRite to retrieve what I can.

But since I’m technically inept/inexperienced/let-me-repeat-inept, the SpinRite route takes me way out of my comfort zone.

So here are my 3 options, as I see them.

1. Find A Computer Guy to do the SpinRite thing for me.

2. Take it to the Mac Store, see what they can do.

3. Maybe take it to the Geek Squad at the local Best Buy, which has a miniature Mac store.

Does anyone have strong opinions about how these options stack up?

Are Mac Store/Geek Squad going to do anything a competent SpinRite session won’t do?

Is a Mac Store inherently more qualified than Geek Squad/Nerd Herd or a random computer guy?

Whatchoo think?

Thanks much,

I’d say go to the Mac store…never ever never ever go to the Geek Squad…as an IT fellow I have a level of detest for the gimmick and the skill level (and the absurd level of over charging they do as well) at the place…most “computer guys” don’t touch Mac’s…your best odds is the I-Folk…

I recommend option #2 (Mac Store), then #1 (friend + SpinRite), and lastly option #3 (Geek Squad). The Genius Bar people will know how to safely remove the internal iMac drive, as the drive was never intended to be removed by the user. Then they are the best chance to preserve your data, even if they have to send your iMac to their repair geeks at a different location. SpinRite would be a good second option, if your friend could remove the drive without breaking anything and had a drive enclosure to put the Mac drive in and connect it to your friend’s PC. SpinRite is a PC program. In my experience, the Geek Squaddies only know PCs. Macs only bewilder and confuse them. Good luck!

Under no circumstances go to the Geek Squad. They don’t know any more about computers than I do, and that’s not much. They use AVG and Spy-bot and that’s what they will install on your new computer if you have them do such a thing. They’re not even Microsoft certified, and they know even less about Macs.

The Geek Squad’s mission isn’t really to fix your computer. They will insinuate that you’re frakked and what you should really do is turn around and buy a new machine. Then you should come back to them and have them “set it up” for an additional $200. Oh, and buy a PSP to boot.

I’m not ragging on Best Buy in general. I actually have had nothing but good experiences with Best Buy, but Geek Squad is a rip-off.