GWC Podcast #202

I agree. Off-topic stuff ruled this week, as did the sci-fi fantasy league stuff. Liking the musical bumpers, too.

Thanks for continuing to do the cast, team GWC, and for not being afraid to evolve it!

haven’t had a chance to listen yet, but I want to pipe in & say that I too like how the cast is progressing. I think you guys are really coming into your own as hosts as well as improving the overall quality of production. I’m glad Audra had mentioned you guys liking how NPR does the segments on many of their shows. I too listen to NPR & I could definitely see the influence. Keep up the good work!

One last thing! Consider this your pat on the back for a good job Chuck! :wink:

You know Rolling Stone’s GWC-NPR quote, right?

ps. JuanDrew’s news theme gets funnier ever week.

I dont watch Chuck and I didnt watch War of the Worlds, but this cast was still great. I was laughin the whole time and it actually made me want to watch War of the Worlds, which is saying a whole lot. Great stuff! Cant wait for next weeks Fantasy SciFi league. :smiley:

Just watched the Trailer and Reach World Premier videos. I got the Lone Wolf mp3 too. It’s all on the official Bungie site. Very nice. Thanks for the pointer.
http://www.bungie.net/Projects/Reach/default.aspx

What happened at 10:24 in the cast?

Thanks Audra. I eat McD apple pies. Or, I used to. d:

Didn’t westerns technically have pew pew except they were bang bang? d:

Rednecks finding stuff reminds me of the Droid commercial.

//youtu.be/o9fXYQjwR0w

“What in the world is that?”

The problem I have with Chuck’s scenario is if Bumble Bee can’t use his guns or transform, how will advanced technology work for Chuck?

GWC curse in force. Emmitt dies after his actor’s interview.
“Knocked out of the picture…”

Never saw the boxing anime. Heard of it though. Liked Fushigi Yuugi, and loved Kenshin (pre-christian arc). Did she say Nausica or North Star?

Did your interview with Julia Ling make you guys feel old? “I was five when I played…”

Dancing since she was three? That beats Summer Glau doesn’t it?

Hadn’t heard of the subway campaign. Great idea.

//youtu.be/uDtePZ1MFT0

Great cast. I laughed a lot.

doesn’t the curse also apply to Julia Ling? I mean… she isn’t there so far… maybe she will dump the chef come back to Morgan, but right now the curse is workin’.

too bad, Anna Wu’s probably the only Taiwanese character on TV… is Julia Ling actually Taiwanese American tho? she doesn’t look it, but the anime she was talking about sounds like she at least hang out with very asian culture oriented groups… which is probably easier to do in Southern California…

by the way, i am amazed a show like Chuck which gets around 7 mil viewer ship has to run a campaign to be saved… i guess if show like Castle with less effects/characters can get 9 mil, that means the network cancel every show with lower ratings and bigger budgets…

I thought she said, “Chinese Taiwanese American.” IMDB lists her with Chuck 2007-2010 (35 episodes), so looks like she’ll be back. They have to bring her back since she’s part of the draw. d:

I gave up trying to understand programming execs after TSCC and Dollhouse.

All the God’s wisdom is taken straight from the source:

In another moment I had scrambled up the earthen rampart and stood upon its crest, and the interior of the redoubt was below me. A mighty space it was, with gigantic machines here and there within it, huge mounds of material and strange shelter places. And scattered about it, some in their overturned war-machines, some in the now rigid handling-machines, and a dozen of them stark and silent and laid in a row, were the Martians–dead!–slain by the putrefactive and disease bacteria against which their systems were unprepared; slain as the red weed was being slain; slain, after all man’s devices had failed, by the humblest things that God, in his wisdom, has put upon this earth.

If a gajillion-dollar enterprise like NBC can’t get its act together, what chance does the rest of the world have?

Trent Reznor oughtta run everything. All arts stuff, at least.

We have to suppose that we won’t see her as often in S3 since I’ve noticed that she isn’t in the title sequence anymore. Only Jeff an Lester.

Me too. Well technically speaking, although I didn’t experience it when it happened, it already started with the murder of Firefly.

Speaking of Fox murdering series and Firefly, I just put Dollhouse Season 1 on my wish list. I’ll add Season 2 and buy them when I get some cash. Maybe Dollhouse will see the same (or better) DVD sales as Firefly.

Good choice!!

Very unlikely that it’ll have as constant sales as the Firefly DVD set had over that long of a period.

Because?

Baltar.

Because it doesn’t have Nathan Fillion?

Dollhouse doesn’t have nearly the story or character appeal as Firefly did/does. At least to me, but then Eliza Dushku in various fetish outfits ain’t my thang. Victor, Sierra, Whiskey, November, Adelle, etc. were all far more interesting than Echo, who we were repeatedly told was soooo special. I’ll watch the episodes just to say I’ve watched them and done my duty as a Whedon Whore, but I would never want to spend more time than necessary in that 'verse. Whereas I could stay with the crew of Serenity forever and ever.

Once again, remind me not to listen to the podcast at work. The stifled laughter is making my coworkers look at me funny. Audra, you’re killin’ me!

Fair enough.

Yeah, I’d hate to be around anyone driving while listening to this cast. ^^

Yeah, I almost had to pull over during Audra’s part of the draft this weekend.

personally i feel Firefly a lighter tone. It is less heavy and a lot more humorous. I would say kind of like Chuck, but not as slapstick. But i have the same feeling of watching Firefly and Chuck. Characters I love doing outrageous and hilarious things. At the same time have meaningful character development. Since Firefly is a bit less slapstick and dove more into the exploration of humanity side, in the end Firefly is still the better show.

Dollhouse on the other hand isn’t like Firefly at all. It feels more like BSG or shows that focuses mainly on the exploration of humanity, and only use humor and action as a aid. I never feel like the more T&A scenes of Dollhouse were gratuitous. Every time I see those scenes, I am reminded that these people are being exploited, and T&A becomes very difficult to enjoy. Which I think is what Joss is aiming for with this show anyway. To have the viewers draw the parallels between the real world, and the more exaggerated world of scifi.

There are people being exploited just like this in the real world. And often time they don’t even see it that way. It would have been a great show if FOX let the show establish the mythos before shoving the standalone dogma down everyone’s throat. But at least in season2 we get to see how it was supposed to be.

How did you survive the rest of the cast without crashing?!

Ok, I agree with you. Too bad too. I want the Fox executives to say “Well, we made another mistake” after they see the sales.

For the record, I have TSCC season 1 and 2.

i am now rewatching TSCC Season 2 on my country’s cable network AXN.

AXN shows 2 episodes of TSCC every thursday night at 9. I don’t get off my class untill 9:30, so normally I miss most of the first episode.

But having watched it on regular TV, I realized something… TSCC season 2 isn’t as engaging with commercials… It’s really weird, when I watch each episode in its entirety without commercial breaks, season 2 is awesome. but put those long breaks in the middle, suddenly it looses focus a little.

AXN was also showing Chuck Season 2 every tuesday at the same time slot. But Chuck doesn’t have the same problem. I have this feeling that maybe when the writers break the story on Chuck, they planned it down to each commercial break, and TSCC writers tend to think of their episode as a movie.