GWC Podcast #202

Yeah, I almost had to pull over during Audra’s part of the draft this weekend.

personally i feel Firefly a lighter tone. It is less heavy and a lot more humorous. I would say kind of like Chuck, but not as slapstick. But i have the same feeling of watching Firefly and Chuck. Characters I love doing outrageous and hilarious things. At the same time have meaningful character development. Since Firefly is a bit less slapstick and dove more into the exploration of humanity side, in the end Firefly is still the better show.

Dollhouse on the other hand isn’t like Firefly at all. It feels more like BSG or shows that focuses mainly on the exploration of humanity, and only use humor and action as a aid. I never feel like the more T&A scenes of Dollhouse were gratuitous. Every time I see those scenes, I am reminded that these people are being exploited, and T&A becomes very difficult to enjoy. Which I think is what Joss is aiming for with this show anyway. To have the viewers draw the parallels between the real world, and the more exaggerated world of scifi.

There are people being exploited just like this in the real world. And often time they don’t even see it that way. It would have been a great show if FOX let the show establish the mythos before shoving the standalone dogma down everyone’s throat. But at least in season2 we get to see how it was supposed to be.

How did you survive the rest of the cast without crashing?!

Ok, I agree with you. Too bad too. I want the Fox executives to say “Well, we made another mistake” after they see the sales.

For the record, I have TSCC season 1 and 2.

i am now rewatching TSCC Season 2 on my country’s cable network AXN.

AXN shows 2 episodes of TSCC every thursday night at 9. I don’t get off my class untill 9:30, so normally I miss most of the first episode.

But having watched it on regular TV, I realized something… TSCC season 2 isn’t as engaging with commercials… It’s really weird, when I watch each episode in its entirety without commercial breaks, season 2 is awesome. but put those long breaks in the middle, suddenly it looses focus a little.

AXN was also showing Chuck Season 2 every tuesday at the same time slot. But Chuck doesn’t have the same problem. I have this feeling that maybe when the writers break the story on Chuck, they planned it down to each commercial break, and TSCC writers tend to think of their episode as a movie.

I’m always impressed with how you always surprise us with interviews with awesome people on them. (And that about 2/3 of them are almost always dying right after said podcast.) Thank you!!!

Re: Firefly/Dollhouse. To be honest, I would rate Firefly higher than any other Whedon shows - yes, even Buffy - even though (or perhaps because) it only had one (well, really half a) season. The balance between the funny, the characters, the plots and the major themes was just about perfect, and it’s really the only Whedon tv show that found its footing pretty much from the getgo and have all the characters gelling from the start. Even in Buffy, it took me a while to like every cast member in the show, and same goes for Angel (which really took its while to find its core cast), and I’m haven’t even started on some of those pretty bad S1 eps in both series. So, in that respect, Dollhouse is more like a ‘regular’ Whedon show - arguably really silly premise that deepens with that Whedon touch and becomes extremely great after it takes its time to work out the kinks. One could only wonder just how great - or on the flipside, perhaps how terrible - Firefly could have been with more seasons, given its strength from the start.

I think I’m finally used to the long intro of the new podcasts. :smiley:

Finally watched my Netflix copy of War of the Worlds tonight. Wow, was the woman useless in this film. At least the single mom in Day The Earth Stood Still was able to get the message to Gort; this Sylvia woman, with a master’s degree, just screamed hysterically (or “went all crazy uterus” as the kids call it). I did see some female scientists working at Pacific Tech so it seems our gender could do a little bit more than marry, cook eggs and fix our hair, but why would we want to do that? I’m so grateful that our generation grew up with Xena, Buffy, Sarah Connor, Aeryn Sun, etc.

And you’re right, Sean–Dr. Forrester is the worst.pilot.ever. Also, if I ever knew that MST3K’s Dr. Forrester was based on this guy, I completely forgot about it till now so that was cool.

I got in NCTibby’s siggy! Awww right!! :smiley: