GWC Podcast #157 Live From The Nat'l Meetup!

Join us for a streaming broadcast of tonight’s podcast, recorded live in front of an audience at the GWC National Meetup in Frisco, TX.

We won’t be taking calls – the equipment requirements are too great – but we will provide a live stream of the 'cast as we record it. And if you miss it (or it sounds bad for any reason) you can always catch the processed version that’ll release Saturday.

The link:

http://www.talkshoe.com/tc/17428

:frowning: :frowning: :frowning:
Im so jealous of those who got to go

I won’t be listening in live as the finale won’t have started here yet. I will wait for the recording. I’ll also be on GWC AFP if anybody such as BOXY are up for it.

woohoo! have a great time everyone in texas, us missers miss you all

I’ll be listening in. Maybe I’ll do the AFP on Saturday.

I will do what ever I can to join the AFP…

Wow!

Celebrations:

1. Awesome send off of the Galactica. She is one tough old bird. It was sad to see her literally fall apart as she entered our Earth’s orbit.

2. President…Romo…Lampkin!

3. Tory gets payback!

4. Athena and Helo live!

5. Cottle speachless!

Questions:

1. How far is Earth from this black hole/singularity? Did the black hole cause Galactica to jump much farther than normal?

2. What happened to Baltar’s armed and ready love groupies?

3. Lee stated he thought his father was leaving for good (I took it to suggest that Adama might commit suicide after Lora died…). When Lora died, I expected Adama just to crash the Raptor into the ground. Did Adam return to Lee or just sit on the mountain and die?

4. What was the meaning of the V on Lora’s grave?

Interesting:

According to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrial_Eve):

[ul]
[li]Mitochondrial Eve (mt-mrca) is the name given by researchers to the woman (Hera?) who is defined as the matrilineal most recent common ancestor (MRCA) for all currently living humans. Passed down from mother to offspring, her mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) is now found in all living humans: every mtDNA in every living person is derived from hers. Mitochondrial Eve is the female counterpart of Y-chromosomal Adam, the patrilineal most recent common ancestor, although they lived at different times (I guess that leave out Hotdog’s kid).[/li]
[li]She is believed to have lived about 140,000 years ago in what is now Ethiopia, Kenya or Tanzania.[/li][/ul]

Disappointments:

Adama barfing all over himself, was this the actors idea or was it in the script?

I do not buy that all 35,000 Colonist would in mass agree to the whole “lets abandon ALL technology.” That a pretty idealistic and unrealistic strategy to follow. I could see things being primitive initially…but would everyone realistically abandon ALL technology (for example: Medical) voluntarily? 150,000 years ago most humans didn’t make it to 30. Humans that did were either physically tough…or extremely lucky.

In this scenario (think Roanoke or Jamestown colonies) disease, starvation, and exposure to the elements would kill off a lot of the colonists within a few years. Especially if they willfully abandoned ALL their technology and spread themselves around the Earth in small groups. How many of the 35,000 could hunt without the aid of a gun? Farm enough to feed a themselves? How fit would the civilian colonists be after 4 years of sitting in tin cans and eating green goo? How would the locals react to their arrival?

Humans were on the food chain back then and not necessarily at the top. Without technology, long term survival would be difficult, if not impossible except for the hardiest Colonists.