GWC Online RPG

Would anyone be interested in participating in a RPG here on the forum?

If there are enough interested people we could vote on the style of game we would be interested in (Fantasy, Science Fiction, Rift, Super Hero etc.). And how often to post per week, and the rules of course.

I prefer a casual game which is loose and relies more on writing/creativity than hard rules, the goal is to collaborate and create the most immersive and entertaining story possible.

If you have any questions you can post them here or message me. If you would like a sample of a post I could provide one-

And if this is something that the GWC forums is reluctant to host I apologize… I also was unsure where to put this, sorry.:frowning:

YESS!!! I am so down with that!

Ive always been curious about this kind of RPG. What does this kind of thing usually entail?

so I take off my wizard hat and robe…oh wait…before I continue…what kind of Role Playing are we talking about :wink:

Pretty much anything, I hosted a Zombie Survivor RPG awhile back on another forum. And the latest one which is wrapping up is a RIFT campaign, which is where a character of your own design gets sucked through a dimensional rift and you find your self on a very strange world, where the natural laws are all messed up and you and other displaced people try to rally together and find a way back to your own world(s).

Whatever style you people are most interest in, I can make it work. SF, Horror, Fantasy. SF with a little magic mixed in… Superhero and so on.

Usually there is a thread where the character sheets get posted, that way readers can keep track of all the players and non-player characters in the story. It also helps the writers to keep track of character descriptions when you interact.

If the local gets large sometimes I create maps to help people keep track of where they are at.

The main idea is to work to together to create an adventure, and usually if people are nervous to jump right in. I invite them to read along as others play and once they see how it works they can join in latter.

The main RPG Thread would start out with either the world in which you will be interacting being described via my NPC’s point of view and then your characters jump in. Or as with the Rift campaign I describe your character going about their normal routine and then BBBZZZAAATT!! Describing where you are NOW at…:smiley:

You then write from your characters perspective, just like if you were writing for a book. And don’t get hung up on the mechanics, visualize and get into the characters head, have fun!! That is what is most important.:slight_smile:

I guess it is a little hard to describe unless you have seen one in action…:frowning:

I could do a sample at some point if it would help.

Sounds strange, count me in! I think I wanna be a magical superhero zombie. :cool:

I’m up for it. :smiley:

I’m interested.

I’d be interested. I’ve played in and run a couple of these on other fora. It’s basically collaborative storytelling on the forums. Not a big superheros fan but I’d be up for almost anything else.

That is a good analogy, thank you!

What kind of a pace would work for your schedules?

No less than one post per week, but no more than one post per day is pretty standard.

And if necessary we could group the players who can post more often in one area, and those whose schedules are busy and may not be able to post as often can be in another section of the gaming map so to speak.

Or to keep it as simple as possible, there could if needs be… Two threads. One for people with busy schedules, and one with a faster pace for the often online types.

Standard Format

RPG Thread- Where the game takes place.

RPG Comment Thread or OOC (out of character)- Where players can ask questions or post suggestions, chat etc. And where readers who are following the story can post comments too.

Player and NPC Bio’s- This is where you can post your characters appearance, abilities and a brief history. And what they would most likely have on them at the time the game starts. If the game is going to be very casual, lighthearted or go on the honor system there is no need for this thread.

Some RPG’s want all posts written in third person past tense. So that all posts read the same and it enhances the reading experience, makes it seem even more like a book. I DON’T CARE!!! And I sure don’t want to intimidate any new comers with that kind of nonsense.

Just do your best and have fun. It may seem like pulling teeth at first, but once you get the hang of it writing can be a lot of fun. Everybody has their own style and their own levels of ability, don’t feel intimidated. And usually if one person is a strong writer it usually encourages everyone else to kick it up a notch, and everyone benefits in the long run.

Spell Check.:wink:

If you want to collaborate, go for it! It is a great way to avoid dialog ping pong. You can PM a player and send them your suggestion, if they agree you can either send them a rough draft of your post and they can edit it. Or you can punt a ongoing and developing post back and forth to each other as you insert each others reactions and dialog. The first is the quickest if time is an issue. Once agreed upon you post it in the thread with both names at the top since it is a ‘joint post’.

Another option is, if you trust the person. To tell them, “that sounds good, I like your idea. Just keep him/her in character as you write it.”

If you have questions during the game either post them in the OOC or PM me.

Don’t forget to cast a vote for what style you would like…

Count me in! I’ve mostly participated in bulletin-board type RPGs for Firefly, Angel, Lost and Heroes. I enjoy the writing practice and getting to interact with other characters.

This sounds awesome. I used to join in on something similar on an old Star Wars board. For a theme suggestion: is anyone familiar with the old Dragonlance novels? We could loosely base it on that kind of world. I am up for anything tho, no matter what theme is chosen :slight_smile:

Please not Fantasy. I’m completely fantasied out at the moment

LOL okay no Fantasy :slight_smile:

I personally am not familiar with the Drangonlance novels, aside from the cover art (I have a Dragonlance art book).

My Fantasy tends to be a blend of The Magic Goes Away, Thieves World, The Myth Adventures, Lord of the Isles and Chicks in Chainmail.

I hope that makes some sense…

Edit: OK never mind… by the time I posted this you had already voted down Fantasy…:slight_smile:

Should we have a poll on the theme?

Zombie
Apolcalyptic world
Space exploration (Star Trek)
Space opera (Star Wars)
Military SciFi (Honor Harrington, BSG)
Evil League of Evil (Dr. Horrible)
Stargate

Any more ideas?

I thought about a poll once people began showing an interest, but the poll option is no longer available on this thread. I guess we will need to start a new thread if we want a proper poll.

The only thing I am not down with right now would be -Vampires- especially ones with sparkly chests…:stuck_out_tongue:

A Dresden Files type might be interesting…

I am leaning a little SF this week but I am up for most anything, and I sure as Gorram am not above blending genres.:smiley:

Aww Vamps are cool. Just not the sparkly emo ones.

The way it should have ended!!!:smiley:

Amber Alert!

Alright back to business…

Everyone give out a shout as to what they are in the mood for! And then I will tally everything up this weekend and have a synopsis ready for everyone on Monday.

The synopsis will give you an idea of what the playground will be for gameplay, the gist of the main plot and what freedoms you will have as writers. I like everyone to consider themselves as mini GM’s…

After reading the synopsis you will have until… Wed. Thursday at the latest to post your character(s). And then we can launch on Friday.

Sound Good?