GWC Book Club Selection: September/October 2010

Dear readers, the poll is here again.

Per past practice, please recall that:
[ul]
[li]You may vote for as many of the options listed as you would like. In fact, it is encouraged.
[/li][li]Don’t be shy, share your opinion of the books! Lobby for your favorites, and feel free to read through the threads already dedicated to these books (and add to them, if you feel so moved). Friendly and fun is our motto here.
[/li][li]Your votes will be public.
[/li][li]Voting will close August 31, and the Book Club Discussion thread posted September 1.
[/li][/ul]

Happy voting! (and reading :))

Quick commentary:

Mists of Avalon is a beautiful book I read a long time ago, would love the excuse to go back and reread

The Eyre Affair is a perfectly crafted and clever book that only gets better in the following books. Truly hi-larious and epic in scope

The Road needs to be read, although I am not sure I could read it again. It stays with you.

I also love that years later The Yiddish Policeman’s Union is still hanging on!

There are some books that just won’t go away… who doesn’t remember DP griping about Old Man’s War until it finally won :smiley:

Speaking of - if you haven’t voted yet, keep voting! and if you want one particular book (or 2, or 3…) to win over others, give us an explanation! I for one know that I appreciate knowing why all of the fabulous GWCers choose the books they do.

I think the majority of recent winners were books that had been plugging along as also-rans for a couple rounds. I’m sure Yiddish Policeman will get its day in the sun.

Following Solai, a quick commentary on my votes:

Margaret Atwood, “The Handmaid’s Tale”: I love this book. I love Margaret Atwood’s prose. I don’t care if she denies the genre label, I always enjoy reading her work, and this one is classic.

Marion Zimmer Bradley, “The Mists of Avalon”: Perhaps my favoritest genre author, and anyone who hasn’t read this needs to. I always love an excuse to re-read. Feminist version of Arthurian legend FTW! (seriously - I can’t read/watch any other version without comparing to MZB)

Octavia Butler, “Kindred”: My literary studies heart flutters with this. I’ve enjoyed other Butler works as well (particularly the Parable of the Talents) but Kindred is incredibly powerful and well-written.

Michael Chabon, “The Yiddish Policeman’s Union”: It’s fun, and I’ve been pulling for it for years. Literally :stuck_out_tongue:

C.J. Cherryh, “Downbelow Station”: Cherryh is one of my favorite writers, too, and I’ve yet to find something she’s written I haven’t enjoyed. She’s a safe bet.

Madeleine L’Engle, “A Wrinkle in Time”: Classic, and it’s been ages since I’ve read it.

Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Left Hand of Darkness”: Another classic. I like Earthsea well enough (though the books, not the other media), but I love LHD best.

Stanislaw Lem, “Solaris”: GR wanted us to read it!

Elizabeth Moon, “Hunting Party (The Serrano Legacy)” and Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child, “Relic”: I don’t know as much about these (I haven’t read them!) but they sound interesting and up my alley.

Don’t forget that voting closes September 1!

Since “Mists of Avalon” is the only one I know and own, it got my vote. I really need to read it…bought it like 8 years ago.

Tied for second place, honorable mentions go to The Mists of Avalon and Downbelow Station, but the winner is…Kindred!

Check out the group discussion here!

Yay, Kindred!

This one is overdue. It’s one of those SF/F books that even literary snobs appreciate. And for good reason.