GWC Book Club Selection, May/June 2010

Dear readers, the poll is here again.

Per past practice, please recall that:
[ul]
[li]You may vote for as many of the options listed as you would like. In fact, it is encouraged.[/li][li]Don’t be shy, share your opinion of the books! Lobby for your favorites, and feel free to read through the threads already dedicated to these books (and add to them, if you feel so moved). Friendly and fun is our motto here.[/li][li]Your votes will be public.[/li][li]Voting will close April 30, and the Book Club Discussion thread posted May 1.[/li][/ul]

Happy voting! (and reading :))

Voted an ‘all longshot’ ticket this time. We’ll see how that goes.

Vote Shatnerquake!

I downloaded Shatnerquake for free awhile ago and have yet to get more than a few chapters in. What I’ve read thus far is humorous and I’d look forward to finishing it with you all.

I’ve had Downbelow Station on my bookshelf for 15+ yrs and have just never gotten around to it. I’d be up for finally cracking that one too.

I couldn’t pass on an opportunity to vote for THE HANDMAID’S TALE. As old as the book is (80’s) it’s as topical as ever.

For those who’ve read it, I can also suggest DAUGHTERS OF THE NORTH, a similar futuristic spin on post-event rebuilding of society and how fertility and women’s rights become controlled by those in power.

has “Lord of the Flies” been covered yet? I just bought it for ten bucks. I find it’s real important as the story has been THE trope for shows like “Lost” and “BSG”.

Oooh… pulling out to-read list

I know that most people that went through secondary education in the US have read it (at least, that’s when I had to read it), but if you want it to be an option in the future, go ahead and see if someone has nominated it, and if not, go ahead and make a thread for it.

Shatnerquake, Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom, and Infected are early leaders… there’s still plenty of time to vote, though, so don’t forget to do so :slight_smile:

So far, so good.

Every bridesmaid is eventually a bride, it would seem.

I voted for The Handmaiden’s Tale and The Yiddish Policemen’s Union because they’re two books I haven’t read yet but really want to BUT I cannot recommend The Eyre Affair and A Wrinkle in Time highly enough…they are two of my favorite books and absolutely magical.

Last day to vote! Don’t forget to make your opinions known! :slight_smile:

Shatnerquake surges ahead! While Kindred makes a come-from-behind move at the last post!

gets more popcorn

The May/June 2010 Book Club Selection is Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom; check out the group discussion here!