GWC Book Club Selection: July/August 2011

Dear readers, the poll is here again!

Per past practice, please recall that:
[ul]
[li]You may vote for as many of the options listed as you would like. In fact, it is encouraged.
[/li][li]Don’t be shy, share your opinion of the books! Lobby for your favorites, and feel free to read through the threads already dedicated to these books (and add to them, if you feel so moved). Friendly and fun is our motto here.
[/li][li]Your votes will be public.
[/li][li]Voting will close June 30, and the Book Club Discussion thread posted July 1.
[/li][/ul]

Happy voting! (and reading :))

I voted for three this time:

Chabon, “The Yiddish Policeman’s Union” - A great alterna-history piece, by one of my favorite authors. It’s being developed into a film by the Coen Brothers (Fargo, O Brother, No Country For Old Men, True Grit, etc.)

Lindqvist - “Let The Right One In” - This has been sitting on my shelf for the better part of a year, untouched. I have avoided watching the movie or the American remake because I want to read the book first.

Danielewski - “House of Leaves” - Got this as a gift a few years ago. Very unconventional novel. This could be the most interesting pick of the three, certainly the most “out of the box” choice.

Could this be the Yiddish Policemen’s time?

Well, I voted for Hero and the Crown. 'cuz well, I have always wanted to live in this story… of course it has nothing to do with a red haired chick dragon slayer and crap hits the fan with a magic blue sword… nope nothing at all.

Also it’s where my dog Talat got his name.

This IS the story that got me into dragons and reading. I still read it at least once a year, normally twice.

Gah, I don’t know what to vote for this month! I keep meaning to pick most of these books up and read them. Some I have read and very much enjoyed. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks is a wonderful book and I encourage anyone to read it, but it’s nonfiction and not really a ‘summer read’ feel to it.

Anything on the list that is in the page-turning, fantastical, love at first read category? :slight_smile:

There are still a few days left to vote!

Currently in the lead: The Yiddish Policeman’s Union; A Wrinkle in Time; The Hero and the Crown. That said - the field is wide open! You have until Friday to get your vote in!

While I have read all three of these, any one of them would be ripe for a reread. Classics, one and all.

And we have a winner! by one vote, the new book club selection is Michael Chabon’s The Yiddish Policemen’s Union. Join the conversation here. :slight_smile: