Great graphic novels - add your recommendations

So I think this topic probably belongs here - I don’t read superhero comics but I’ve gone via the childhood comics popular in my country (Donald Duck, Moomin, Tintin, Asterix, Lucky Luke…) to being a huge fan of graphic novels in my adulthood; particularly Neil Gaiman’s work, Alan Moore, Mike Carey and a random sampling of other works. So I obviously enjoyed and own The Sandman series and Lucifer series and the illustrated edition of Stardust (a copy I had signed by the man himself, no less, when we co-designed a product for Lush. Yes, really :rolleyes:).

I would like to recommend a series called Unwritten by Mike Carey and Bill Willingham. It’s a story about the nature of stories. It has a great plot, beautiful artwork and cool ideas. It’s sort of fantasy, but not high fantasy; a story about the son of a famous writer who gets tangled in a very bizarre indentity crisis mystery and has to use various techniques his dad taught him to navigate himself through stories (literally) to uncover the truth.

For fans of pure illustrative-orgy, I can’t recommend the Flight series enough; satisfyingly thick tomes of gorgeous illustrations by a variety of artists; slightly surreal storylines (some more surreal than others)… these books you’ll want to own and look through again and again if you are a fan of illustration.

Another series that particularly appeals to me is Fables - I discovered them in my local library (but typically, they don’t have more than a couple of them there so I’ve ended up buying books in the series to keep). It’s a sort of “corrupt-a-fairytale” -concept with mature themes. An absolutely brilliant series.

I hope to find new things to enjoy if people add their own recommendations here - which graphic novels have caught your attention and why?

So many…

I agree with you on fables and picked up the first four trade paperbacks when I was in the USA recently, looking forward to reading them.

As a huge fan of both he man and his writing, I’m going to lean heavily towards the works of JMS here, starting with Rising Stars. If you can get the top cow trade hardback it’s worth picking up, thing is huge but well worth reading, one could argue that the TV show the 4400 riffs on it quite heavily, which may explain why plans to adapt it as a tv series fell through.

I am quite enjoying Brian K Vaughan’s Saga, which is currently on amazon.com for the incredibly low price of 5.63$ for the TBP, it’s a major departure from his last work, Y - the last man., more mythological with an interesting take on the artwork.

Finally you cannot miss the classics, Neil Gaiman’s Sandman and Alan Moore’s Watchmen. nothing I say here can really give you any more information than others have written on the topic.

On a personal note I quite enjoy one shot takes on establshied universes from an alternate perspectives, a quick list here
Neil Gaiman’s Marvel 1602 - imagine the x men in the 1600s, quite a good one shot
JMS (again) Bullet Time, where a single bullet kills a young Ben Parker and the reprocussions throughout the marvel universe for such things
Superman - Red Son, speculative where Clark’s ship lands in russia instead of america, don’t recall the authors or anything.

That’s my take on it anyways, thanks for starting the topic

Serenity: Those Left Behind
Serenity: Better Days
Serenity: the Shepherd’s Tale

I think I have made my point… :slight_smile:

OMG -I adore Brian K. Vaughn’s “Y: The Last Man” series!!

There’s a Serenity comic? Woooooooooo! Well, this thread was worth starting for that alone :slight_smile: Thanks, SanDragon!

Thank you, also, phazedout - obviously as you may have guessed I’m well there with you on the Sandman and Watchmen but I hadn’t heard of Saga and it sounds just like the sort of thing I might like… will definitely check it out!

I managed to get all my comics from either Waterstone’s on Piccadilly in London (my favourite London book shop for many reasons; the building, their extensive graphic novels section, etc) - and the rest from Amazon.co.uk. I buy the graphic novels rather than individual comics, I have the next Unwritten on the way.

If you’re into Fables already, they’ve done a Fables and Unwritten cross-over, so it’s well worth following both series.

I second the recommendation of JMS’s Rising Stars, and would add to that Midnight Nation… And though I have yet to finish all of them I have really enjoyed Astro City, and Irredeemable.

Cheers! :slight_smile: Looking forward to exploring those.

I just bought the sixth and seventh Unwritten books so I am set for a little bit!