Gratuitous Space Battles

Has anyone tried this out? I just got it as part of the Humble Indie Bundle 4 and have been playing it for hours.

You design ships and deploy fleets against other fleets then sit back and watch them battle it out. It’s kind of like a tower defense game in a sense, except all the towers are moving. :slight_smile:

There are different species, technologies, ship types, and it’s great fun. I’ve been learning how to make fleets with mixes of cruisers, frigates, fighter fleets and so on, and watching them hammer each other with huge freakin’ weapons is great.

//youtu.be/wWi1cbdNhrY

Damn you. Now I have to buy the Humble Indie Bundle 4.

same here… at least it’s also for a good cause…

Just be careful budgeting with the DLC. Your space battle habit can easily balloon into one of the most expensive indie games out there. I saved $5 on pre-release way back when but eventually dropped over $20 on individual expansion packs. Just one more alien race…

To be fair, Cliff puts each pack out as soon as it is ready… version 1.0 bugs and all. :slight_smile:

Gratuitous Tank Battles coming very soon. Here we go again. Sort of GSB meets Anomaly - Warzone Earth. Anomaly was way too short a game.

I really haven’t played the game enough to develop a full opinion, but on first blush the game is failing to grab me. It has everything I usually like in a game: Planning, options, strategy, tactics, explosions, and comedy. I don’t know why I’m not getting up from my computer after 10 lost hours, starving and exhausted.

I’ll keep at it because it surely does look like it’s fun.

Winning a battle can be easy. Winning a battle for cheap, though… that’s the hard part. The fewer resources you use, the more ‘honor points’ you have available to spend on upgraded technology at Fleet HQ.

I very much enjoy the Ian Banks ‘The Culture’ style ship names. Being in the middle of that series, it’s easy to hear similarities. “So Much For Subtlety”, “Unfortunate Conflict Of Evidence”, “Very Little Gravitas Indeed”, “Anticipation Of A New Lover’s Arrival, The”, and “Hand Me The Gun And Ask Me Again” would fit into this game just fine.