Graphic Novel Movie Arc

I saw on twitter that Sean was watching one of my favorite this week-end, Immortel from Enki Bilal, and it got me think.
A Graphic Novel Movie Arc would be fun and there is so many that are unsuspected :
300, Road to perdition, Watchmen, From Hell, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Guyver, XIII, Barbarella, V for Vendetta, 30 days of night, American Splendor, Constantine, The Crow, Faust: Love of the Damned, Ghost World, Heavy Metal, Howard the Duck, A History of Violence, Kick Ass, Jonah Hex, Judge Dredd, The Losers, Painkiller Jane, The Mask, Man-Thing, Men in Black, Mystery Men, RED, Ritchie Rich, The rocketeer, Sin City, Spawn the Spirit, Steel, The Surrogate, Tank Girl, Timecop, Wanted and Chuck Favorite Scott Pilgrim :wink:

Anyway, of that list my choice for an Arc would be :
Immortel
Heavy Metal
Scott Pilgrim
Watchmen

Lots of rich material to choose from. A good running discussion would be “What does it take to translate a comic to the screen? What works on the written page, what works on the screen, and are some mutually exclusive?”

I haven’t seen Scott Pilgrim yet (Nice two-week run in the theaters, studio. Way to back your product!). But by all accounts, it’s some next level stuff. This week, in honor of Guy Fawkes’ day, I was doing a little arguing about the V for Vendetta movie. I love the comics, but I thought the movie was a dud. For my money, the V costume visuals – especially the mask – just didn’t work in a movie.

I find this strange. I hadn’t read V for Vendetta, but I loved the movie so much that I actually bought the DVD. I only buy maybe 3 DVD/Blu-rays a year. I’m over that limit this year due to buying the Farscape set though.

I seem to be in a minority, disliking the movie as I do.

It’s ok. I have a few anime series I like/dislike that makes me a minority too. I’m just surprised.

I do find myself biased to whatever I’ve read/watched/listened to first when it comes to remakes, retellings, filmizations (my word d: ), or novelizations though.

Well I’m in that minority with you. The movie sucked, IMHO. :wink: I also have the same opinion of Watchmen…still a minority view.

Sin City would be a good one for this arc.

Seem like i’m in between you 2. Did not care for V, found Watchmen satisfying and Sin City was perfect.
Let’s not talk about LXG :wink:

I missed Watchmen on the big screen, and I subsequently decided to never watch it. I’ve wavered and watched a couple scenes on cable, which leaves me feeling like I’ve made the right decision.

right there with you Nightwing

I enjoyed everything except 300 and LXG. I was compelled by the character of V as I wasn’t sure if he were a hero or antihero. I loved that Watchmen was a loving portrayal of the graphic novel (grovel) and an engaging complex story not dumbed down for movie audiences. And Sin City is just…well…Frakking Unbelievable.